Wednesday 8 April 2015

For Eliza

For my beautiful sister Eliza. Happy 16th birthday sweetheart. I am so proud of who you have become after everything you've been through, sometimes I cant quite fathom the things that have happened to you in the past sixteen years and you deserved a better childhood than that. No one should ever have to feel the pains you have been through. You often say I'm your role model but you have it wrong sweet girl, you are mine. I love you and you will always be my little sister, no matter what happens. Hope you enjoy this small extra of your favourite couples.

2050, England
Eddie Cullen

“Momma!” my daughter called after my wife as we arrived at Gatwick Airport, London, England. It was the night before my daughters wedding. My eldest Holly was about to marry Christian Wright. I had to admit the day she was born I dreaded this day but as it drew closer I was excited my daughter had found someone so right for her, after her track record with men I was finally glad to relax and not plot ways to kill her current boyfriend. I considered myself rather lucky with Holly actually, who knew what kind of trouble id get in with Avia. My daughter called out for me next and although I had heard my daughter on the phone every few days over the past few years it shocked me to hear her American accent was fading rapidly. My daughter had been living in and out of England for the past decade and a bit and spent too much time with her British fiancée. She was starting to sound like The Queen.
Chloe and I collided with Holly, hugging her between us both. Avia was following behind us and quickly pulled her sister out of our arms and into her own. I looked around to see Holly's fiancée Christian was no where around.
“where is he then?” I asked her, she smiled at me and took my hand.
“home, I wanted to come get you myself” she explained.
“can you show us around?” Chloe asked. We had both been to England before but never as a social call, either it was business related or emergency related which meant neither had time for sight seeing but today we would have the night in London before travelling over night to the place Holly and Christian were marrying in. Thornbury Castle in Bath. The location had Chloe and I laughing at the ridiculous city name but we let it pass for the fact neither of us have ever seen a Castle let alone been in one. The United States architecture wasn't as majestic as the historic buildings of Great Britain. They had hired the entire castle out for three days, courtesy of Carlisle Cullen's endless bank of money. Avia, still being the young royalty and Disney obsessed child inside, was beyond excited at the idea of this.
Holly spent the next few hours showing us the sights of London, Big Ben, the London Eye, Tower Bridge and Buckingham Palace. London was worse to get around than New York, at least New York had a better underground system. By the time we returned to Holly and Christians house in Surrey south of London it was well into the night. Holly and Avia would be sleeping in the car as Christian and I drove to the wedding venue one hundred miles away. Most of the family would arrive tomorrow morning as the wedding didn't start until early afternoon and some guests on Christians side were already there.
“do you have everything?” I asked my daughter as we got into the car.
“I think so. Alice is already there with everything I need, its just my overnight bag” she explained as we got into the car.
“of course she is” I smiled at the thought of my aunt. This wedding was one she enjoyed the most planning for because it was so foreign to her. She was nuts if you asked me.
On the way to the venue Holly and Avia fell asleep pretty much instantly. It was only a two hour drive but it was late at night and I knew they wanted their rest for tomorrow. Chloe and I sat up front whilst our daughters were in the back. It reminded me of the times we'd drive to Florida to see my grandmother with our girls when they were children. A family road trip for old times sake.
I drove with my hand on the gears, strange to be on the opposite side of the car and road. I found myself steering over to the other side of the road subconsciously and Chloe would have to remind me to stay on the left.
We arrived before Christian and his family and checked ourselves into the hotel. The girls would stay in their own room together and get ready in the morning in that room, Chloe and I had the room next door for convenience although I doubted we'd use it. I lifted Holly from the car and carried her into the castle hotel. I placed her on her bed and kissed her forehead. I watched her for too long before Chloe came in with Avia.
“I cant believe she's getting married tomorrow” I said watching my daughter sleep. I was hit by memories of her when she was a child, so angel like, so innocent and precious.
“tell me about it” Chloe sighed resting Avia on the same bed. We stood there watching our daughters, now fully grown sleep soundly.
“come on” Chloe said tugging my hand and we left them to sleep.
We walked hand in hand and explored the castle. Christian and his family arrived soon after us and I knew he was resisting the urge to go see his future wife.
“she's sound asleep” I informed him. He nodded knowingly. “you'll see her tomorrow. She'll be the one in white on my arm” I joked with him. He smiled and said goodnight before entering his own room.
Chloe and I found our selves in the many gardens of this magnificent castle as the sun rose for the day. I could hear our family and friends arriving over the next few hours. I knew by the time the sun was clearly in the sky it was going to be an amazing day for a wedding. I knew Alice had been paranoid about the weather in England but she had managed to use her gift to pick the perfect summers day for a castle wedding.
“come on we better go save our daughter from Hurricane Alice. I'm sure she's already causing a storm in there” Chloe said breaking the silence. She stood and I looked up from my place on the grass to stare at her above me, the sun was behind her and caused her to sparkle in front of me. I had seen my wife sparkle many times in the sun but with the back drop of the beautiful surroundings she had me momentarily stunned. I smiled and stood up to kiss her in my arms.
“what was that for?” she giggled when we pulled away.
“for being so beautiful. I love you” I told her watching her golden eyes sparkle at my words as if it was the first time saying them to her.
“I love you too”
“oh get a room” I heard my best friend interrupt the moment.
“Esther! You made it” I called out and embraced her.
“of course I did. I wasn't going to miss my best friends worst day of his life” she joked. I smiled.
“its not the worst day”
“no I suppose not, you still have one daughter left” she smiled. “three down one to go.”
I had walked both Esther daughters down the aisle for their own weddings. Both girls were very close to my heart and I was more than willing to give them away at their weddings when they asked me. I was the closest thing Lidiya and Anelie had to a father anymore and I was honoured to do that for them, it warmed my heart knowing they loved me enough to want me to give them away. Lidiya was first, then Anelie, now Holly and eventually I would give away Avia too. I hoped it wasn't for a while, giving away three daughters was enough for my nostalgic heart.
I blamed my parents for that gene.
Seeing Holly in a wedding dress had me far more emotional than I thought possible. I entered the bridal suite to see Avia in her bridesmaids dress and Holly in white. Her gown was beautiful and thousands of dollars worth of diamonds were around her neck.
“you look beautiful” I whispered to her before kissing her cheek.
“thanks daddy” she said softly. She didn't have much make-up on, she was mostly natural and her long wavy hair was down and touching her hips. I ran my finger over her cheek and kissed her forehead.
“I have to say Holly, you might be the most beautiful bride and the least hardest work” Alice laughed.
“good genes” Holly laughed smiling at me and her mother.
“are you ready to become a married woman?” I asked her holding out my arm, she smiled up at me.
“yes” she whispered and linked her arm with mine. The others filled out of the room and we gave them a few minutes to go and take their seats. We were left with Avia, Lidiya and Anelie. The three bridesmaids. Holly had decided to follow the English wedding traditions and not have any groomsmen just the three bridesmaids being her sisters. It made it fair as she didn't have to pick between the endless cousins and nieces she had now. They led the way and when we eventually got the the grand hall I could feel my daughters heart beating through the pulse on her hand.
“calm down” I laughed to her.
“i'm fine” she tried to smile. Avia kissed her cheek before leading the way to the end of the aisle, followed by Lidiya and Anelie until it was finally Holly's turn. I pulled her alongside me up the aisle and handed her over to her future husband. Christian had the biggest smile on his face as he watched his future wife.
The two spoke their traditional wedding vows and were pronounced husband and wife by Christians father Oliver.
After walking back down the aisle the reception and photographs were to be held in the many gardens of the castle.
I had to say this was probably by far the most magical wedding so far of the next Cullen generation and I knew by the look of my second daughters face that there was no doubt she would also marry in a similar way, after all she was the princess out of the two.
On day two of the wedding celebrations I found myself in the tallest tower of the castle just looking out at the beautiful countryside.
“boo” Chloe said behind me. She failed to make me jump but I laughed anyway. “are you okay?” she laughed.
“yes” I responded and opened my arms for her to sit on my knee.
“its amazing isn't it?” she asked.
“how much would you think it would be to buy a castle?” I asked her. She laughed at my question. “im serious. I never want to leave” I told her looking down at our family below us.
“not sure its up for sale Eddie but you could always ask your grandfather, im sure he has connections here. Its his birthplace after all”
“I'm not Renesmee” I joked. She always got her way with our grandfather, and well with anyone in our family really. Chloe smiled at the thought of her best friend and my eyes locked on Renesmee dancing with Jacob below us.
“maybe one day we'll live in a castle but for now I think we should enjoy what we have here. The whole family may not be in the same place again for a while.”
“time is irrelevant when your family is immortal”
“that is true, the next one hundred years will happen in a blink of an eye.”
“and all we'll have are the memories.”
“and Alice and Esme's incessant photographs” laughed Chloe.
“they're memories” I said softly.
“when did you get all soft” Chloe joked resting her head on my shoulder.
“the day I gave my daughter away”


Memories have no life. They're just pale reminders of a time that's gone-like faded photographs. - Kevin Brooks

4 comments:

  1. That was amazing, as always! It was so sweet and I swear I nearly cried at the end :) Great Job! xx - Renesmee4eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im not sure if i followed that line about Holly following the English tradition of a wedding and only having bridesmaids and no groomsmen,,, do they have weddings were the bride has groomsmen? I always thought the Groom had only groomsmen and the Bride had only bridesmaids. Im not stupid enough to think there is only one way to do something but i never knew the bride had groomsmen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not Holly's specifically, i meant that there werent going to be any groomsmen in general. When i researched American weddings for Renesmee's i read that each bridesmaid has a groomsman? They walk down the aisle together right? With Holly's wedding i wanted it to be more British. We dont have groomsmen, we just have bridesmaids and the best man. So thats why the bridesmaids walked down the aisle on their own. Do you know what i mean? haha hard to explain.

      Delete
  3. Wish I saw the ring and dress but good story

    ReplyDelete