Saturday 2 October 2021

Diamond Legacies: Part 21

 ------------ ------------ ------------

New York, September 2226

------------ ------------ ------------

Eden Balev

------------ ------------ ------------


It had been a week since Nova found out about me and Nicholas.

I kept my mind blocked ever since. Nicholas and I had a few encounters since but any time it started getting serious I would stop it, too scared to take the next step and him somehow finding out what I was when my defensives were down. I knew it was inevitable and I wanted it. I wanted it more than anything, but I was working my way up to it. Every encounter with him made me feel equally more in love and more guilty at the same time.

I was back at his apartment again and I had noticed the piano last time I was here but didn’t really get much of a chance to talk about it.

“Do you play?” I asked him eying the piano it didn’t look used often. I lifted the cover and ran my hand gently over the keys.

“I did as a child. I’ve forgotten most of it, but I like it being here. I wish I could remember, I told myself when I bought it id make my self relearn. But I haven’t had the time” he said, and he eyed the piano sadly.

“it’s beautiful” I said recognising the craftmanship of the piano and the make. It was one of the most expensive pianos in the world. A near identical one sat in the living area of my parents’ home. I had seen my father play it many times and marvelled at his skill. He'd appreciate this piano too.

“Can you play?” he asked curiously. I avoided his gaze.

“Only some. Nothing compared to my father. He tried to teach me as a child. I enjoyed it but I didn’t have the same love as my father did for it” I said looking down at the keys below me.

“Do you remember any that you learnt?” he asked coming over to me to stand at the edge of the piano. I looked up at him. Did he want me to play?

“I mean, I know the classics. Nothing fun though” I said with a smile.

“Play for me” he said his eyes wide with curiosity. He lifted the lid so that it was open and ready for me to play. I sighed and looked down at the keys below me. I trailed my fingers over some familiar patterns. I knew I remembered it all, that was one thing my vampire mind had forged.

“See if you can name it, I guess” I smirked, and my hands began to play fur elise by Beethoven without much prompt of my own.

He waited me to finish the whole song before saying anything.

“Fur Elise… that was too easy to guess, play something else” he grinned widely but I could see the pure enjoyment he had at hearing the piano. I chuckled slightly and fell into playing Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, a song I knew far too well having danced to it so much over the past month.

“Sugar plum fairy. Again, too easy, although I'm extremely impressed you can play it” he said with a wink and bent down to sit on the floor cross legged at the side of the piano. I stopped mid-way through the song and started playing something else instead.

“Moonlight sonata second movement. Can you play third?” he teased with a raised eyebrow.

“No, my father can though” I laughed.

“You said you can only play some. Eden you’re amazing” he grinned up at me.

“My father plays a lot. You'd be more impressed by him” I said as I started to play Clair de lune.

“I’m starting to think your father is a man of many talents” he smiled, he had no idea.

“He is.” I laughed as I continue to play.

“Clair de lune” he commented after a moment. ”You weren’t kidding about the classics, were you?” he teased.

“I told you. I don’t play much” I laughed as I stopped and turned to him.

“Just hearing the piano getting played is enough for me” he smiled and continued to guess the next few songs perfectly. I suppose I wasn’t really surprised. He loved the ballet, no wonder he loved classical music too. He’d get on well with my father I was sure, and my uncle especially. I started to play a song I knew he definitely wouldn’t know. Whilst my father was brilliant at playing, he was no composer. That title was left for my uncle Edward who had written too many piano pieces to count, but I had heard my father play a few of them over the years. I was taught one, but I hadn’t played it in years.

“That was beautiful and I’m ashamed to say I don’t know it” he said with a frown when it was over.

“You wouldn’t. My uncle composed it. Its sort of a family secret” I said with a grin.

“that’s not fair.” He pouted and I had to laugh.

“The classical nerd got one wrong” I teased him, and he rolled his eyes.

“You cheated. Who has an uncle that composes piano masterpieces?” he asked with a  glare.

“I do” I shrugged and moved off the piano.

“I’d like to meet that uncle” he said as he went back to his work.

“Maybe one day you will” I said with a smile, and I could see his aura spike with anticipation at my words.

His excitement at the idea of meeting my family warmed my heart. I just hated that I felt like I was lying to him. There was so much in the way of him meeting my uncle.

“So, Saturday is my birthday” he said in passing as we cuddled up on the couch to watch a movie.

“What? Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked turning to look up at him.

“You could have just googled me” he smirked, and I rolled my eyes.

“Normal people don’t google their prospective boyfriends”

“Yes, yes they do Eden” he laughed and bent to kiss my nose in a small peck. I suppose they did in todays society but I had been raised by people from the twentieth. Even though my parents were from the twenty second, they were both raised by century old parents. Certain characteristics were unintentionally inherited. 

“I don’t date much” I mumbled in slight embarrassment.

“clearly” he joked. I saw he wanted to say something else, but he held his tongue and pulled me tighter into him. I saw a nervousness again flutter in his aura. I loved that about him. He was so confident and sure of himself in public. This man can organise a wedding, run an office full of businessmen and talk in front of thousands of people and not get nervous. But curled up on the couch with me broke down all his barriers. I wondered what he wanted to say or ask me, but I knew I couldn’t push him, I wouldn’t have known he was nervous about something if I was human, if I was normal. I just had to leave him to decide to ask me himself.

The next few days I didn’t get to see much of Nicholas. We were both very busy for the rest of the week and I was glad because I was wracking my brain trying to think what the hell, I could get someone that has literally everything.

Lara wasn’t talking to me, at least not much. She thought I was making a mistake with Nicholas. I hated that she was mad at me, but I knew she would be worse if I lied to her about it. I just had to hope she’d see I was happy and get over her hatred soon enough.

I was also avoiding my sister. I had managed to push her off the scent of Nicholas after she found out about us. I knew she was worried, but she didn’t show me any signs of concern or signs she was going to out me to anyone in our family. I knew I was avoiding the inevitable, but I trusted my sister right now to let me make my own decisions, plus she had too much going on herself right now. I was hoping she wouldn’t get worried enough to turn up here to see my relationship for herself.

It was Friday night, and I was exhausted but before I could even sit on my couch there was a knock at the door. Lara opened it and I knew it was Nicholas from the huff Lara exhaled. She didn’t even say anything, she just walked back through our apartment and to her room leaving the door wide open for Nicholas to enter. I smiled at him as he walked over to me by the couch. He didn’t say a word, his arms just wrapped around my waist and pulled me down onto his lap on the couch. I sighed as I curled into him.

“hey” he whispered into my hair as he kissed my temple.

“Hey yourself” I said closing my eyes as I leant against his shoulder.

“You are free all weekend” he said. It wasn’t a question. It was a statement. “I checked your schedule at the studio” he answered me without me asking why he knew.

“I worked 80 hours this week. They’re really pushing us hard for this show because we lost so much time to the promotional.” I explained and I listened to the steady beat of his heart under my ear. It was like a lullaby; the rhythmic strong repetitive beat was soothing. It also burned slightly in my throat being this close to him. I very rarely felt the burn of thirst. Even if I hadn’t drank that day, because of the nature of what I was, I was more human like than my vampire grandparents or Luna bambini parents. I was second generation child of Luna bambini. The only human thing I didn’t do was eat human food. I was warm blooded, my heartbeat, I grew at nearly human pace, I felt cold and hot and pain the way a human would. I had lived a nearly human life. Nearly. But I hadn’t fed in days. It didn’t help my strength, I needed to feed every other day if not every day with my job and I just hadn’t had time. I swallowed the burn knowing I needed to do something about it. I needed to hunt soon, or at least get some from my stock in my room.

“Come away with me. There's some where I want to show you” he suggested, and I took my mind off my thirst long enough to remember we were having a conversation. He wanted me to spend the weekend with him? Was this what he was nervous to ask me the other day? How would I spend all weekend with him without him asking about why I didn’t eat?

“I really want to” I said instantly pulling away to look at him. “But I need to sleep” I said sadly as I watched his face drop from a smile.

“I promise there’s a bed there too” he said seriously and I was sure my heart skipped a beat. I leant forward and rested my forehead against his and took a deep breath. I needed to hunt. But what did I want more? A fresh deer or him?

Him. Always him.

“Where are we going?” I asked swallowing to try and quench the burn.

“it’s a surprise. You’ll come with me?” he asked, and I couldn’t say no to the hopefulness in his eyes.

“Yes, I guess since it’s your birthday. But I’m gunna need ten minutes to pack and don’t laugh at me if I fall asleep on the way” I said shuffling to get out of his arms. He tightened them for a moment, so our faces collided in a quick kiss before he let me go. I stood and walked to my bedroom and paused at Laras. I knocked gently but she didn’t reply.

“I’m going away for the weekend with Nicholas. I didn’t want to go without telling you. I’ll see you Monday Lara” I called through the door but again, she didn’t answer. So, I turned with a sigh and made my way into my room. I went straight for the closet to see what blood I still had left over and luckily there were three bags. I’d have to drink a full one now and hope it was enough to last the weekend. Maybe I’d be able to make an excuse tomorrow to go for a walk by myself and find something fresh to drink. I downed it cold, even though I preferred it warmed up. I didn’t really care at that moment though, as it hit my stomach it felt so damn good. I felt energized as it pulsed around my body. I packed quickly a small bag, having no idea where we were going. Hopefully I could buy anything I needed there. I reached into my dressing table drawer and grabbed the debit card I never used and tucked it in my pocket. It didn’t matter to me how rich Nicholas was, I didn’t want him providing everything, not now he knew how much money I came from too.

I walked out to see him standing by the bookcase in the living room, he was staring at pictures I had placed there. There was only two. One with my twin sister Nova and the other with my cousin Ophelia. None with my family, they were too recognisable now. Well, Carlisle and my father at least. And it was too much of a risk to have my grandmothers there. The human world knew Esther but only as Carlisle’s sister. That would get awkward if I ever had to explain to someone my grandparents weren’t actually siblings at all, just century old friends. My family was far too interwoven and complicated to explain to a regular human.

“This is your sister, your twin” Nicholas said running his hand over the frame.

“How did you guess? Most people say we look nothing alike” I joked, and he turned to grin at me. I winked as I grabbed my phone from the kitchen counter.

“You told me you were identical and yet I couldn’t imagine another you” he said as he came over to take my bag from me. I smiled at his chivalry and headed to the door.

“We may look alike but we’re the complete opposites in every way. I would die for her, I love her, but we’re not exactly compatible. We think completely differently,” I explained as we left. I called out a bye to Lara and I was happy I got a returning ‘have fun’. I knew she would be expecting me to come home crying with a broken heart, but I was done trying to convince her otherwise.

“My sister was a twin” he said as we made our way to his Aston martin parked on the side of the road.

“Which one?” I asked with a gasp. He had never volunteered this information before, and I had met both his sisters.

“Jasmine, Laurel was her twin.” The one that died I realised. The sister he was the closest to. The one that he carried with him everywhere, the grief that followed his aura like a constant dark cloud.

“Oh my god” I said as I paused at the door to his car.

“it’s alright, they weren’t identical like you and Nova” he said and opened the door for me. I got in wordlessly and waited for him to climb into the driver’s seat.

“Nicholas I’m sorry” I said looking at him as he stared out the front window. He put a destination into the gps and pressed start on the car.

“I told you I had another sister who died” he said as if he wasn’t offering new information.

“Yes, I remember, I just didn’t expect her to be Jasmine’s twin. Losing a twin… I can’t… I daren’t imagine” I said swallowing my emotion. The mere thought of losing Nova. Losing my soul mate, my other half. It was crushing. It was unimaginable. I remembered seeing Jasmine at Tessa's wedding, she had been so separate from the celebrations, she barely smiled the whole day, she kept away from anyone she didn't know and she was shy and withdrawn. Now I knew why.

“let’s change the subject to something different” he said. He did this a lot when the subject of his sisters were brought up. He didn’t like talking about them and I understood why.  He took the car off automatic and pulled it to manual. I knew he liked driving manual. Most cars had the hybrid option but even on manual the automatic would override it if you were about to be in an accident or hurt someone. His car sped up well past the speed limit and I knew he’d had some less than acceptable adjustments made to the car.

“My parents are doctors remember. You wouldn’t believe the patients they get from automobile accidents” I said nervously gripping the seat.

“Are you nervous?” he asked realising my voice was tense.

“My parents told me those stories to keep me from ever driving unsafe” I mumbled, and I noticed he visibly relaxed on the pedal.

“I like speed.” He commented but he had taken the car down to what was socially acceptable.

“I can see that” I said and smirked. He’d have fun as a vampire then.

The second I had thought the thought I was horrified.

Nicholas as a vampire.

By my side forever.

Is that what I wanted?

It didn’t matter anyway. It wasn’t possible. He would never be able to become a part of my world. He was far too important in his.

“Are you going to tell me where we’re going?” I asked after a few moments of silence between us.

“Nope.” He said but I knew we were travelling northeast towards white plains. Was he taking me to Disney land?

“Are you taking me to Disneyland Park?” I asked with a rise of my eyebrow.

“Disneyland Park is under the ocean three thousand miles west darling” he turned to smirk at me. The original Disney land, the one in California had been gone for centuries.

“You know what I mean,” I rolled my eyes.

“I am, but hold out judgement until I show you what I want to show you. I’m not bringing you here to brag or show clout I promise.” he said and winked. “Well maybe I am a little.” He added and I grinned at him.

“I’m sure you bring all your girlfriends to Disneyland.” I responded as we pulled into the park. Only we didn’t go through the main guest entrance. I knew it was the park because I could see the castle in the centre.

“I’ve never brought any girl I’ve dated to where I’m bringing you” he responded and as he drove up to a gate, he entered a code and the fence made room for him to enter. The park was dark and empty but the Disney themed streetlamps were lit as he sped through the walkways of the park. It would be full of people normally, but it was late now, just after midnight.

“What time does the park close normally?” I asked.

“Ten.” He responded as he pulled the car to a sudden stop by some stairs a giant looking hotel, it looked like a modern castle from the outside. He opened the door and came to let me out, pulling my bag over his shoulder.

“Is this a hotel?” I asked.

“Sort of, hear me out” he said and held his hand out for me. I took it as he led me into the grand lobby; it was empty. Why would a hotel this grand in the centre of the park be empty? He took me through the silent lobby up the stairs. I followed him to the top and I knew we were high up now. We’d probably be able to see the entire park from our vantage point. He opened a coded door into what I thought was going to be a room but after another flight of stairs they opened onto a room, and I gasped. It was a large apartment. Big enough for several to stay, a great place for parties. There was no evidence of Disney material anywhere. It was modern and high tech and there was a water feature in the centre with waterfalls that reached the floor from the ceiling in the middle of the large open living area. One wall was full windows and the opposite had floor to ceiling doors that led to a balcony.

He took my hand and brought me over to the wall of windows. It was dark outside, but I could see perfectly, and the lights of New York were in the distance. The surrounding towns below us were lit up and you could see the river.

“Do you like it?” he asked, and I smiled, my hand resting on the glass as I watched the lights dance in the distance.

“it’s amazing” I murmured, and I felt his arms wrap around my waist as he hunched down to kiss the top of my shoulder from behind.

“I wasn’t lying by the way. I’ve never brought a girl here. It was always my safe haven as a child. This apartment I mean. The hotel is privately owned by my family, no guests can buy a room here. It’s for friends and family only. It’s a fully running hotel when we request it to be, but no one knew we were coming tonight that’s why its empty. As children my sisters loved being here. We lived at the park as children but after I rode my one favourite ride, I would beg my mother to let me come here and stay for the rest of the day whilst my sisters played. I would read or play games and watch.” He said his voice was low and quiet.

“Watch?” I asked with a smile.

“people” he said and pulled away, taking my hand to take me to the other end of the apartment that overlooked the park. I was right, you could see the entire park from up here.

“This is amazing” I commented and turned to look at him behind me. He smiled down and leant forward to kiss me softly.

“Are you still tired?” he asked in a whisper. I could feel his heartbeat speed up in his chest. I saw his aura change to nervousness and desire. He wanted me.

I knew this was a point of no return, but I had come here with him knowing this was likely going to happen. I knew I could say no. I had before and he had respected me completely, but I didn’t want to anymore.

“Did you bring me to the top of a castle to seduce me Mr Disney?” I teased and I was sure I saw him blush.

“No, anything that happens here is completely in your control. I am happy to wait till marriage if that’s what you want” he said with a wink. He was pushing it off as a joke, but I knew he was being completely serious. How did people have normal relationships without knowing every single part of their partner? How did people trust that people were good? That they wouldn’t take advantage of them? how had I been so lucky to find a man as good as him?

Or maybe I was seeing what I wanted to see because I was so desperate for someone, anyone to share my burdens with.

But I couldn’t share them with him. I could never share them with him, and I could feel my heart breaking every moment I stayed with him and yet I couldn’t seem to make myself do something about it.

Surely the heartbreak was worth a great love? No matter how fleeting.

I reached up on my toes to close the gap between us. The kiss was heated and desperate and he pulled me across the room without breaking contact. The second we entered a bedroom the need seemed to evaporate from his touches. He slowed and softened the kiss and his arms lifted me to gently place me on the bed. My breathing didn’t match his, mine was fast and expectant. He was calm and calculated as he trailed kisses across my exposed skin.

It felt like he was worshiping every part of me, and I knew, no matter what happened. Tonight, would be worth every ounce of pain I would experience later. I would remember every touch and kiss. I would remember this feeling until the day I died.

 

 ---------- --------- ---------


I woke to the sun blazing through the windows. It was silent in the room; despite the fact I knew that the park would be teeming with people on a Saturday morning. I turned to see Nicholas was tucked into my side, his arm across my waist as his body rose and fell gently with his even breaths. I stared at him as he slept. I never really thought humans were beautiful. I had been surrounded by the eternally beautiful my whole life. It was hard to compare human boys to those of the men in my family. I had been raised by gods so whilst I had brief encounters with human men I had only dated out of curiosity and eventually to combat the loneliness, never because I found them beautiful. But he was. Every part of him, especially inside.

“Are you watching me sleep?” he murmured but his eyes didn’t open.

“maybe” I whispered.

“that’s creepy” he responded, and his eyes opened to look up at me. I smirked but I couldn't resist his  eyes. I leant forward and kissed his forehead before leaning my head on his. The silence broke with the sound of his stomach growling with hunger. My heartbeat picked up at the knowledge of what was typically next after spending the night with someone. Breakfast.

I would have to eat and then I would have to go and puke. I wondered how much food I could hold in my stomach before it found its way back up. I had only done it in extremely small amounts when absolutely necessary. Never a full weekends worth of food.

“Happy birthday” I said kissing his hair line trying to distract him from his hunger.

“thanks” he mumbled pulling me tighter into him.

“I have been trying to think of something all week to get you, but with being so busy I haven’t had chance yet. I was hoping today you could give me a hint” I said with a small chuckle.

“I only want you” he said trailing kisses on the skin closest to his lips. I rolled my eyes even though I knew he couldn’t see it.

“Ok prince charming” I giggled, and his kisses continued but they were feather light and gentle.

“I’m serious. I don’t want anything materialistic from you. I just want you. This.” He said between kisses.

“You have me” I said and ran my fingers over his shoulder blade. He stopped kissing me and settled his head on my shoulder. We stayed in silence for a while, not saying anything, just being with each other. It felt normal, and comfortable, and natural. After a while I built up my courage to say something I knew I needed to say.

“About last night” I mumbled. There was no awkwardness, but I needed to apologise for something.

“Hmm?” he asked.

“I’m sorry I called you Nick” I said. He hadn’t corrected me during the night. I wasn’t even sure he had heard it, but id often forgotten to say his full name when my mind was so focused on everything he was making me feel under his touch. He chuckled as he turned to kiss my skin again.

“You can call me whatever you want to. I’ve never liked that name before, but hearing it come from you. I have to say from your lips; it’s not so bad.” He said shuffling up, so he was face to face with me. I rolled my eyes at his cheesiness.

“Maybe I should stop calling you charming and call you Swiss instead” I suggested, and he frowned in confusion.

“For Swiss cheese,” I explained and pushed him to the side, so he rolled over and I sat across his lower chest staring down at him.

“Cheesy?” he asked.

“very” I murmured as I leant down to kiss him from above.

“I prefer charming” he smiled against my lips, and I shook my head in disbelief.

“what’s the plan for today, Nick?” I asked him sarcastically but at the same time testing the waters with the nickname.

“Whatever you want to do. We can stay in this bed if you want, or we can go into the park, or we can play games, or we could go somewhere else.” He suggested and I moved to lay next to him on the bed.

“Will we get to skip all the queues?” I asked and he smirked.

“Of course. There are no queues for a Disney” he said, and I let out a smile.

“I want sparkly pink Minnie mouse ears and an Elsa dress.” I teased him and he feigned shock at me.

“I knew you were only dating me for my connections… and Elsa? I had you pegged as a Belle fan” he returned my teasing as he climbed out of bed.

“I was never a Disney fan” I remarked, and he turned to glare jokingly at me again. “sorry” I laughed, and he walked over to a door and disappeared.

“Me neither” he called out and there was a moment before I heard running water and another when his head appeared at the door again. His eyes locked with me in the bed

“You can come join me if you want” he said with a suggestive smile. I bit my lip, trying to hold off even for a moment before agreeing but he had already started laughing as he went back into the bathroom.

I sighed as I exited the bed and went to join him in the shower.

Being with him was intoxicating. I knew that honeymoon phases existed with new love, but I never expected I would ever feel it. I never thought once we’d crossed the line that I wouldn’t be able to keep myself from wanting to be on that side of it.

After showering we dressed, and he made his way to the small kitchen in the apartment. We talked about random things, as he cooked breakfast. His business phone he'd left in the kitchen over night buzzed for the billionth time that morning as I forced a bite of toast.

I looked over at it to see thirty-two calls and ten messages.

“Do you ever stop working?” I asked him.

“Not really, no. My father retires as chairman in two years, I have a lot to live up to, a lot to get used to before he isn’t there to help anymore.”

“You don’t want it” I said seeing his aura change with regret and distain for his father. I knew he had conflicting emotions when it came to his job and his legacy.

“No, I don’t. I was just never given a choice. Not like you. I was born a Disney. It has to stay in the family name.” he said with a shrug.

“it’s always been like that?” I asked.

“no. The family stopped having much to do with the company in the late twentieth century, Disney board members were managers, others that were employed. It was ran by outsiders during the twenty first century until my family decided they wanted it back. They didn’t like how powerful it was getting, they wanted to be a part of it.” He explained and cleaned up the dishes. I sat there thinking over what he had said to me. "I don't want to talk about my job. Shall we go for a walk?" he asked across the room. I nodded and stood up. 

“I’m going to get dressed” I called to him and left him in the kitchen to get changed and puke my breakfast. I just hoped he wouldn’t hear me.

I hated it. I hated lying. I hated doing this. I cried as I sat against the wall in the bathroom, silently so he wouldn’t hear that either.

How was I this happy and miserable at the same time?

I sorted myself out quickly and dressed to be more presentable. As I exited the bedroom, I could see he was pacing the kitchen with a phone to his ear. He looked… concerned about something. I couldn’t hear the phone, but I saw the dread and panic seep into his aura, and I felt my own essence change in parallel to his own. I entered the room quickly to try and catch onto what was going on.

“Where is she?” he asked and started pacing the room. “I’m on my way” he said and reached for his Armani coat from the chair.

“what’s going on?” I asked him copying him without question.

“Gabby’s had an accident. She’s at the hospital” he answered already grabbing his keys to his car.

“Which one?” I asked quickly.

“Cullen Manhatten” he answered eying me as we climbed into his car. I saw as he sped over the automated controls.

Nova. I thought instantly. Nova, twinny, I need your help. I thought waiting for her thoughts to fill my head.

What’s wrong? She asked and I explained where we were going.

I need you there. I need your help.

I have no authority Eden, I’m not even a Cullen. I’m not even fully qualified yet. She said but there was pain behind her words. She cared. She genuinely wanted to help me, but she knew she couldn’t. Call papa. She added after a moment, and I sighed at the words. I needed to avoid that if I could. My father didn’t know about Nicholas, and he would be less happy than Nova was. I couldn’t risk having him there. I hoped I wouldn’t need to make that phone call. Maybe it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Maybe.

I thanked my sister anyway and turned to look at Nicholas who was concentrating hard on the road.

“What happened Nicholas?” I asked him as he almost violently turned the car, he was going way past the speed limit. I hoped there were no police around because this could arrest Nicholas before he even got to the hospital.

“She fell. She passed out. I don’t know anything else” he said, his voice was emotionless, but his aura was flooded in anxiety, like he was trying to separate his feelings from his words.

“Who called you?” I asked him, we were a few minutes from the hospital now.

“Her neighbour saw it happen. She doesn’t have any family; she doesn’t have anyone. Just me.” He said but the emotion broke through now. His voice cracked in worry. I reached out to rest my hand on his wrist. His hands were holding onto the steering wheel so tight his knuckled were white.

“it’s going to be okay” I murmured but I hated the dread in my stomach. What if I was wrong? Was the man I loved about to lose the woman that raised him? And on his birthday no less?

We both nearly tumbled out the car and raced towards the hospital doors. Nicholas’ hands fell hard on the counter as he stared at the receptionist.

“Gabrielle Moretz. She was admitted less than an hour ago. Is she okay?” he asked her fast and angry. I reached up to touch his bicep. I had no idea how to calm him like this. I’d never seen him angry before. Even though I knew it was in him, he’d never directed it onto me. He’s never been angry around me.

“I’m sorry sir, what is your name?” she asked casually.

“Nicholas Disney. Please. Is Gabrielle, okay?” he asked again breathing deeply trying to calm himself.

“Are you family?” she asked as she typed away on her computer.

“no” Nicholas almost growled in response. There was no use in lying. Nicholas’ family was well known in the city.

“I’m afraid I can’t let you in to see her, but you can wait here, and I can pass the message along. I can try and find out if she’s… okay” the woman said with a pause. Was she going to say alive? Dead?

Nicholas sighed in frustration, but I could see his mind make the decision before the woman even finished her sentence. He turned to me, pivoted actually with a force that nearly knocked me over.

“Eden...” he didn’t have to say the words. I could see his eyes; I could see his aura. This was grief. Grief he knew, grief he felt all the time magnified by a thousand. He lost his sister just a year ago. He couldn’t go through it again. He wouldn’t survive. I could see him break down in front of me and yet he was strong on the outside. Absolute. He looked almost menacing as he stared at me. He would beg me. I could see it now. He wanted me to break my secret. He wanted me to use my name and get him inside. He wanted me to go against everything I believed in. For him.

“I’ll make some calls” I said but my voice broke at the words. I hated him for this but at the same time I couldn’t blame him, not for one second. If it had been my mother in there, my grandmother, I’d do the same. I’d want him to use all the power he had to help them. I saw him let out the breath he was holding, and relief flooded his aura. I pulled my phone out and dialled the number I needed.

“Mama?” I asked when the line picked up. “I need you mama” I said in Bulgarian I needed to keep this conversation out of Nicholas’ understanding.

“what’s wrong?” she asked in English.

“I need you to pull rank, I need you to get to Cullen Manhatten hospital right away. My… I have a friend here. They’re hurt but they’re not letting us in, they’re not telling us if they’re okay.” I said still in my mother tongue.

“Why didn’t you call your father?” she asked but I could already hear her making her way to the car. She’d come, I knew she would, but I still hated myself for asking her.

“Because I need you to save her. If they can’t. I need you.” I explained and Nicholas was watching me with equal curiosity and nervousness. He was pacing in front of me again, his finger at his lips.

“I’m on my way. I’ll be there in under an hour. You know the ambassador, right?” she asked, and I could hear the car speeding in the background.

“Yeah, I can get in. I just need you here to save her.” I explained.

“I’ll be there soon baby” she said and hung up the phone. I turned to Nicholas and gave him a nod. He let out a smile and before he could reach to hug me, I turned back to the receptionist.

“Dr Lori Shephard. I need to speak to her immediately.” I said glaring at the receptionist now.

“I’m sorry ma’am but she is a very busy person. She is not available right now” she answered with an equal glare.

“I’m not asking again” I sighed but the girl wasn’t budging. I groaned in frustration and pulled out my ID on my phone. I had two IDs of course. I rarely used this one though. This one wasn’t Eden Balev. This one was Eden Cullen.

“My name is Eden Cullen; you will page Dr Shephard immediately and tell her I need to speak to her” I said almost slamming the phone on the counter in front of the woman. She looked at the phone twice before giving a small nod and turning to call the doctor.

I turned to see Nicholas watching me with guilt covering his whole aura.

“it’s okay” I murmured reaching for his hand in comfort.

It was a few moments before Dr Shephard arrived in the ER.

“Ms Balev” she said with a nod in greeting. We knew each other from all the blood pickups I had here. She was my supplier I guess you could say. She knew who I was, what I was.

“a patient, Gabrielle Moretz was just admitted. We need to know if she’s okay. We need to see her” I explained, and she gave a soft nod and opened her arm in the direction of the door.

“This way” she said, and we followed her through the doors into the hospital. Nicholas followed me wordlessly, never dropping my hand.

“My mother is on her way. You just need to keep Gabby alive until she’s here.” I explained hoping Nicholas would just think my mother is a brilliant surgeon and not a literal miracle worker. I wasn’t sure if Dr Shephard knew exactly what my mother could do, but she knew she was one of the world’s best surgeons for a reason. Even better than my father and grandfather. She gave a small nod in understand and went to talk to a nurse to ask where Gabby was.

“She’s in surgery. Her hip shattered on a fall. The repair is extensive” I heard the nurse say but I was technically out of hearing range, so I had to wait. I fiddled with Nicholas’ hand to combat the nerves. He was watching the doctor and the nurse from over my shoulder trying to understand their words.

“it’s going to be okay” I whispered to him, putting my other hand on his chest. I felt him relax under my touch, but it didn’t last long. He tensed up as the doctor returned to us.

“She’s in surgery right now. They think her hip has been shattered. I’m going to head into the OR and inform them Dr Balev is on her way. I’ll get the room cleared for her to work.” She said with a  knowing nod to me. I sighed in relief and nodded back.

“Where can we wait?” I asked and she brought us over to a patient room that was empty

“we’ll bring her in here when it’s all over” she said, and she was gone before I could even say thank you.

I turned to Nicholas who was already sitting on the edge of the hospital bed. He was perplexed. His eyes were glassed over. He looked like he was thinking ten to the dozen.

“it’s going to be okay. My mother never fails” I said as I came over to him, my fingers entwined with his hair. He reached for my other hand and pulled me close to him, so I was almost sitting on his lap. He rested his head on my stomach as he hugged me standing between his open thighs.

“she’s good at her job” he said matter of fact.

“She is” I said in response.

“I remember. I looked her up. I remember” he said but he was barely forming sentences. Grief was overwhelming him.

“Nicholas” I whispered and bent down so I could see his face. His eyes weren’t focused on anything, it was like he was somewhere else.

“she’s going to live. She’s not going to die” I insisted. I could see it wasn’t really Gabby he was worried about now, or even thinking about. This was bringing up old emotions, emotions he thought he’d moved past, emotions he couldn’t get a handle on. Emotions from his sister dying.

He didn’t answer. He just pulled me closer, I sat on one of his knees as he hugged me closer to him. We sat there in silence as he held me, I didn’t know what else to say. I knew the only thing that would make him feel better now would be Gabby walking in here with a smile on her face.

It felt like forever. It was probably only about two hours. But the sight of my mother entering the room with an unconscious Gabby on a stretcher was the relief I didn’t know I needed. Nicholas moved as the nurses transferred Gabby from the stretcher to the hospital bed. Gabby was still asleep, but she looked well. She looked normal. Nicholas sat on the bed next to her, taking her old hand in his immediately. His head turned to look at my mother and I saw the momentary shock in his aura at the sight of her, then the pure gratitude.

“Thank you” he said instantly to her. I moved over to pull my mother into a hug, and I could feel her nod over my head.

“Thank you, mama,” I said in Bulgarian, and I felt her lips at my cheek and then by my ear.

“What are you doing with Nicholas Disney Eden?” she asked, it was too quiet for Nicholas to hear. I remained in the hug and squeezed my eyes shut. She would protect me. She was my mother. She wasn’t going to turn me in, just like Nova didn’t. She’d trust me.

“I love him” was all I gave her. I felt her body sigh in response and her arms tighten on me for a moment before she let go and we pulled away.

“She’s doing well. I managed to reconstruct her hip in surgery and there weren’t any complications.” My mother explained walking over to Nicholas.

“And her head? She passed out. There are no head injuries?” Nicholas asked my mother. It was weird watching them together in the same room. My two worlds colliding.

“She likely passed out from the pain. There is no head injury. It was just her hip.”

“You can be sure of that?” he asked her looking between the woman on the bed and the woman at his side.

“I’m positive” she said with a nod. She knew the human body better than any mechanic knew a car or an engineer knew a machine. She had reconstructed almost an entire human being merely hours after she gave birth to me and my sister. My mother was always sure when it came to the body. She knew everything about it, more than anyone in the world I was almost positive.

“Thank you again. I apologise that this is how we meet Dr Cullen.” He said with a little bit of guilt covering his voice.

“Balev” she corrected him but held her hand out. “it’s nice to meet you Mr Disney. I wasn’t aware my daughter was seeing anyone” she said, and she turned to look at me with a motherly glare I knew too well. I was in so much trouble.

“it’s been in secret.” I admitted with a shameful bow of my head.

“Eden didn’t want our names to mess anything up. She didn’t even tell me she was a Cullen until a week ago. I’m sorry to have made you come all this way” he said eying me a few feet from them. He didn’t know why I was acting like I was, but he was trying to help me regardless.

“It was no trouble at all. Is Gabrielle your grandmother?” she asked trying to put the pieces together.

“She was my nanny as a child, she raised me as her own son. I don’t have many attachments in this life, but she is one of them. I couldn’t bear to lose her.” He said turning back to look at Gabby.

“And my daughter is another?” she asked curiously.

“mama” I murmured warning her to back off. She ignored me, because she’s Ivana Balev.

“She is” Nicholas said looking back at me nervously.

“mama” I warned again knowing exactly what she was going to do.

“Do you love her?” she asked turning her gaze on my boyfriend. He looked at me for a moment before turning back to her. This definitely wasn’t where he wanted to say this to me, I knew that, so I felt pity for him in that moment and angry too that my mother was taking this moment from us.

“I do.” He said strongly making eye contact with the woman before him. She stared at him for a moment before giving a swift nod and turning to me.

“Does he know?” she asked turning to me, luckily, she asked this in Bulgarian.

“no” I said truthfully but I couldn’t help the sadness behind my words. She gave a small nod, and I watched her face as she thought over what she was about to say next.

“I will protect you both as much as I can, but Eden, you have to understand this goes beyond what’s happening at the Volturi right now. I’m not upset he knows you’re a Cullen. I’m not scared of the disciples finding out who you are. I’m scared of what happens next. He could ruin us in a single press release. He could bring down the supernatural secret in a blink of an eye and that will not be lost on Zio. The Volturi, they won’t stand for this. You understand that right?” she asked me in Bulgarian.

“Yes mama” I said lowering my head. But she was in front of me now. She reached for my jaw and placed her hands on my face, making me look at her.

“Be careful sweet girl. I know you love him; I can see that. But I hope you’re as sure as him as you are of yourself. I would be much happier if your father met him.” She said with soft eyes.

“I didn’t want to put that on him, I didn’t want him to lie for me.” I said with a swallow realising I was now going to ask my mother to do it instead.

“We will both defy the Volturi as long as we need to keep you safe Eden. You have always come first for us. Always. No matter what you believe” she said strongly, and I had to blink away the tears.

“I don’t plan on telling him what I am. Not yet anyway… not until…” I trailed off realising I didn’t want to bring her up. Esther. I didn’t want to see my mother in pain, I couldn’t handle it. Not the way Nova could.

“Nonna” she whispered with a nod in understanding.

“She can vouch for him. She can tell Zio that his mind is pure, that he would protect me. He won’t reveal our secret I know he won’t” I continued, and I knew Nicholas was watching us, not understanding a word we were saying but understanding the emotion between us all the same.

“I hope she returns soon so that you can be happy Eden.” She said her forehead moving forward to rest on mine.

“Me too” I say but I can’t choke the emotion back this time. My mother reaches up to wipe the single tear that escapes onto my cheek.

“I will fight for you if I have to. And I won’t tell your father, not yet. I won’t tell anyone. But you have to promise me Eden-Luna. Promise me you’ll try to lay low. You’ll protect yourself, not just for your own sake but his too. I dread to think what Zio would do to him, he won’t let him keep his memories of you, or his love for you. It will be like he doesn’t know you, like you don’t exist to him. It will destroy you and I don’t want to see you in that kind of pain.” She said her forehead still on mine.

“Thank you, mama,” I whispered, and she leant forward to kiss my cheek.

“I have to get back, I left in quite a hurry, but I’ll pass on care to Dr Shephard. Gabrielle will be fine” she said pulling away and speaking in English. She turned to give a small nod to Nicholas. He nodded back but was looking at me, probably at the emotion I was displaying. It was upsetting him; he didn’t understand the conversation and it only confused him.

“Thank you again Dr Balev.” He said and she gave him a small smile before leaving, she reached for my hand to brush my palm as she left. She looked at me one last time before leaving me in the room with Nicholas.

“So that was your mother” he said watching her leave.

“yeah” I mumbled coming over to sit on the only chair in the room since he was still on the edge of the bed.

“You look a lot alike” he commented with a smile.

“I’ve been told” I nodded but I looked to Gabby who still wasn’t awake

“I didn’t know you spoke a second language” he added clearly trying to make conversation. I looked at him watching me.

“English is my second language actually. My first is Bulgarian” I explained, and his eyes widened.

“Balev, of course I should have worked it out” he nodded with a smile.

“I thought I told you, sorry” I said with a frown realising I hadn’t even told him my heritage.

“I remember you mentioning your grandmother was Italian. I didn’t realise you were so multicultural” he said.

“yeah” I mumbled, if only he knew. I was feeling distant and emotional, and I didn’t know how to talk to him when I felt like this. It felt like my mother had knocked the wind out of me.

“I’m not going to ask what the conversation was about, but it’s clearly affected you. If you need to talk, I’m here” he said after a moment of silence. My eyes landed on him instinctively.

“She was telling me shed protect me, that she’s going to lie for us. At least for a while. I hate putting her in that kind of position. She deserves better than me. She shouldn’t need to protect me.” I said with a frown. It was about as much as I could tell him.

“she’s your mother” said a voice from the bed and both of us leapt up to see Gabby’s eyes open slowly to look at us both. “She will always protect you, no matter what. It’s not a burden, it’s her life purpose” gabby continued and her old eyes focused on me.

“How are you feeling?” I asked her trying to change the subject from my family and my unending guilt where my mother was concerned. I didn’t feel like I deserved her protection when I wasn’t there for her. When I couldn’t be there for her.

“Strangely okay. What happened?” she asked turning to look at Nicholas.

“You fell. Edens mother performed your surgery. Everything’s okay now” he said with a nod as if he was assuring himself not just Gabby.

“Oh, happy birthday honey!” she said with a gasp and reached out to touch his wrist.

“thanks” he said with a small weak smile. “I’m just glad you’re okay” he said covering her hand with his other.

“I’ll be okay when you leave and celebrate your birthday with your girl” she said with a  knowing smile looking back at me.

Gabby and Nicholas exchanged a small conversation before Nicholas felt assured enough to leave.

“Are you okay?” I asked him as we walked out hand in hand.

“I’m really sorry I did that to you” he said ignoring my question. He turned to face me as we stood in the parking lot where we had practically dumped his car.

“You don’t need to apologise. It was for gabby, for you.” I said wrapping my arms around his waist.

“I know what your anonymity means to you. I shouldn’t have asked that of you. I was just so desperate” he said, and I could see his eyes fill with tears, but he blinked them away. The grief flooded his aura again.

“I will do anything for you” I said as I stared up at him. The love in his eyes and his aura surrounded me like a warm blanket. I had never felt anything like it. His forehead fell against mine after a moment.

“I love you” he said and this time it was my turn to cry. But I couldn't stop them like he could. I couldn’t contain my emotions anymore.

The love I had for him, the anger and the annoyance I felt at hiding things from him, the frustration from the lying, the overwhelming desire and adoration... it consumed me in that very moment. His declaration overwhelmed me. Even though I already knew his feelings, even though I could see every part of his love for me, hearing him say it was too much for me.

Tears fell onto my cheeks and he ran his finger across my skin to catch my tear.

“I love you too”

4 comments:

  1. This was so adorable! I love Nicholas and Eden. And it just dawned on me that Nicholas Disney is the second Nicholas/Nick in this series to fall in love with a member of the Cullen family, after Nick Clearwater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good catch! haha. i felt like it was safe to reuse the name since technically the pair were born a few hundred years a part hehe. its hard to think of different names for characters.

      Delete
  2. Nicholas and Eden are so cute together! I just started rereading your stories again recently and they're the best! So excited for the next chapter! :)

    ReplyDelete