Sunday 25 April 2021

Esther: Axton and Alena (Supernova epilogue)

Sorry this took so long to post. Its incredibly long and i went through 5 different versions of it before i was happy. It is a much needed epilogue to Supernova and a prologue to Diamond Legacies 2 as the events of this greatly affect all of Esther's decendants. 

It picks up right after Mia leaves Esther and Zio in chapter 9 after Clara shows them her vision and Mia mentions Zio and Esther look like theyre planning something. 

 

Esther 

 

As Mia, Axton and Clara left after informing us of the vision, I turned to Zio in thought.

“if it starts with me, I need to not be here” I began, and he looked at me with his usual ‘don’t start’ stare.

“Zio, you know I’m right. Its time. How will we know when it is going to start? What if my true sight fails?”

“I have more faith in you than that. It won’t. It never has before.” He said going back to his tablet.

“we’re in unprecedented times.” I reminded him.

“then it’s the backup, as it always has been. I will not lose you before I have to. I need you” he said not looking up but there was another knock on the door.

“It’s your mother” I said seeing Alice on the other end of the door.

“come in Alice” he called out and her pixie self walked in without her usual bounce in her step. In followed Jasper as tradition.

“you have a lot of explaining to do” Alice said to her son as he came to greet his parents with a hug.

“I’ve been dealing with a lot” he said as he pulled away from Jasper.

“you mean the demon army that’s coming to possess Esther and the hundred-day eclipse that’s going to bring the planet to the brink of extinction?” she asked, and her hands were shaking.

“what?” Zio asked and turned to look at me. I watched the vision as Alice repeated it in her mind.

Mia and Ignacio would do the ritual. It would bring a partial solar eclipse that will last 100 days. During that time human demon possessions will rise tenfold, humans will be sick from the lack of sunlight, the supernatural world will be in turmoil. The demons will find me, and I won’t be able to see them, they’ll use me as a weapon to open their realm and bring the rest through.

I relayed the vision into Zio’s head, and he turned and slammed his hand on the desk.

“damn it” he exclaimed and span to face me again and with one swift nod I knew he was agreeing to my earlier suggestion. We had to use the back up plan.

“Pancrazio” Alice said in confusion seeing her child so distressed.

“I’m sorry mom” he whispered and span around to lean over his desk. He was facing away from us as Chantelle came into the room, her smile dropped instantly as she took in the scene before her.

“what’s wrong?” she asked walking over to her husband in distress.

“I have to go tell my family. Ill leave you to it” I said reaching to rest my hand on Zio’s shoulder before I gave Alice and Jasper a small nod and left their little family in the room.

I found my husband at home as usual.

Darling? I sent to him in the house to pinpoint where he was.

I saw he was in our little library on the 2nd floor.

I walked over to him sitting in the rocking chair and he moved instinctually to let me sit with him.

He moved towards me, his lips brushing my jawbone and moving down to my collar bone in gentle kisses. There were no words, I relaxed against his body his arms wrapped around me securely as if he was hugging a teddy bear.

Everything okay my love? He asked in Bulgarian. I didn’t know how to do this. I knew he wouldn’t be happy.

“the Grace plan is in motion” I told him, and he knew what that meant. He dropped the book to the floor to look at me.

The ‘Grace plan’ was named after my mentor and friend Grace, who had placed herself in a deep sleep for thousands of years, flooding her power into me as she slept. After the events of Lilim, I had realised that whilst everyone liked to believe I was the most powerful creature on the planet. I had weaknesses and people with the right kind of power could exploit them easily. My power in the hands of the wrong person, or thing, was a weapon we couldn’t let loose on the world. So, I sat down with the immortal twins to devise a plan that would protect the world in the event of a serious threat against me, one that we couldn’t see a way out of. With demons in mind, Axton, Alena and I modified Grace’s sleep spell to completely encapsulate my body. With all the immortal witch power that ran through me from Grace, Axton and Alena could expel it, creating an impenetrable force around my physical body. The power would take every bit of my energy, which meant I would be completely unconscious as it was channelled around me. I would be protected from everything and nothing would be able to reach me. It would render me non-existent to the world, so that no one could use my power or take over me in times of absolute desperation. No power on any plane would be able to penetrate the bubble. No person, witch or demon. Only power of the same signature would be able to break the spell. Axton and Alena. They would help me enter the protection and they would be the only ones that could get me out of it. Only a select few people knew. The leaders of the Volturi, my husband, daughters and of course Eddie and Naarah. Zio had a special room converted in the underground depths of the Volturi. Axton, Alena and I had spelled it with every other protection, anti-tracking and invisibility spell we knew, ready for in case we ever needed it. All that lay in the room was an empty bed.

It won’t be for long. Just until Zio finds the answers we need. I placed in his head. I didn’t like the plan either, but it was the safest option for every single living creature on the planet.

“Why?” he asked, and I explained to him Clara and Alice’s visions. He processed the information for a moment. He had been reluctant at first to accept the plan when it was devised but, in his head, he always just assumed it would never be used.

“I won’t stop until you come back to me.” He added and I reached to stroke his face in comfort.

“I always come back to you” I said truthfully, turning so we were forced to look at each other. “we survived hundreds of wars, you came back from the dead, I came back from Lilim’s control. We survived raising life, death and god.” I said laughing towards the end, but Aleksander was not laughing.

“I will let the demons take over this world if it means I get you back.” He said without humour and those words scared me. Aleksander and I were two very different people. My power taught me humility. It taught me selflessness and the desire to do good with it. I had long dedicated myself to the expansion of humanity and to use my power to help others. To live and serve my family, friends and the innocent. Aleksander only lived for one thing. Me. Which for someone like me, was a welcome contrast. However, when it came to my safety it made Aleksander ruthless and I needed him to trust me on this plan, because the future of the planet may be at risk.

“you can’t let that happen” I whispered, my hand resting on his cheek. He leant into my touch and closed his eyes.

“I can’t not have you in my arms” he said and when he opened his eyes they were overly glazed as if the thought caused him immense pain.

I reached forward, kissing him softly, trying to ease his pain in any way possible.

“you know I was a martyr when you married me.” I tried to get a little bit of humour in the conversation. I never used to, in the early centuries of my life, but my best friend and other half had an impressive influence on my personality the last few hundred years. Eddies outlook on life was infectious and since we were two parts of one whole, I found myself often radiating his personality.

Most of the time Aleksander enjoyed the playfulness but now was not one of those times. He rested his forehead against mine and his eyes closed in contemplation.

I could see his mind as he tried to imagine living without me. What was his purpose if it wasn’t by my side? He had been tied to me since the day he came back from the dead, unable to function if I wasn’t around. He lived for me and the idea of what he would do without him was causing him immeasurable pain. I closed my eyes tightly, letting his pain flood into me with Jasper’s ability. I wanted to feel it all, I wanted to feel him.

I could see how he was thinking of asking Axton and Alena to do the same to him, to put him to sleep by my side so he may wake up when I do, and we wouldn’t have to live a day a part.

“I know how much I’m asking of you, my love. But our daughters will need you more than ever.” I said emotion cracking my own voice.

“I am not living if you are not here. I don’t want to be in a world that you’re not in” he said his eyes opening to burn into mine.

“you will live for them. please. I need you to. I can’t do this without you promising me that.” I said swallowing.

I’ll be there Es. I’m coming for them. Eddie’s voice ran through my head. He loved my daughters as his own. Not only had he help raise my first two, but we were also joined like no other. Our families were each other’s, our feelings were the same. His daughters were mine and mine were his. The entire supernatural world was about to be tipped upside down. My daughters would be needed more than ever, and Eddie had already decided he and Chloe were coming to join the guard in my absence. Chloe’s tracking will be invaluable without me around.

I know you are, but I need him to promise me this too. He needs a purpose. The only thing he loves as much as me are our children. Ill get him to agree. He just needs a moment. I told him as Aleksander continued to stare at me in front of him.

“if I don’t agree that means you won’t do it” Aleksander was trying to find a loophole.

“Aleks…” I sighed emotion, frustration and love for the man in front of me overcame me. I couldn’t have him fighting me on this. I needed him to be by my side. I needed him to be my biggest supporter. I needed him to be my husband.

“I love you,” I said to him lifting his face with my hands so that he could see my face as I spoke. “those words aren’t enough, but they’re all we have. I’m sorry for how much you have to sacrifice for me but know that when I wake you will be the first one, I look for. When I sleep, I will dream of you. and when were reunited again we’ll be stronger for it… but I need you to promise me. Promise me you will be strong. You won’t be alone. You’ll have Eddie. He’s a part of me too. He’ll be here. Chloe will be here. Ivana and the twins. So many people are going to need you.”  he stared at me for a moment before he swallowed. I reached forward to kiss his tear away.

“I just need a moment” he said pulling me impossibly closer to him. I held him as he pressed his face into my shoulder. He wasn’t breathing, there was no space for him to breath with how tight he was holding me.

Tears were falling down my cheeks.

When he finally pulled away, he looked back into my eyes.

“Alright I promise.” he said the words and I felt pure relief. Aleksander was a man of his word. He was noble. He had never broken a promise to me, and I knew he never would. “but I swear to every god and universe Esther Josephson, you better return to me.” He said almost angrily.

“I will. I will Aleksander. I promise you.” I said reaching to gently kiss his lips. He wasn’t accepting ‘gentle’ though. He had lifted me and was already carrying me to our room without breaking the kiss.

I knew now I finally had Aleksander’s reluctant ‘blessing’ the only others I had to convince were my sister and daughters. But right now, my attention would be on Aleksander because he deserved the world after what I had put him through and I couldn’t give him that, but at least I could give him me.

------------------

An hour later I had called all three of my daughters to meet me at Naarah’s home on the Volturi estate. I figured if I did them all together, I wouldn’t have to repeat myself four times. I knew they wouldn’t be happy. Zio was out informing the guard and other Cullen’s about the plan whilst I was tasked with informing my close family.

This wouldn’t be easy. Aleksander stood at my side as my daughters sat down at my sisters dining table with her and my niece Ophelia. Lidiya already knew. I could see it on her face. Her husband was always at work, it was obvious a demon threat would have me at the centre and everyone in the room already knew of the contingency ‘Grace plan’. They just didn’t know it would be happening now.

“you all know a few decades ago I set up a plan with the immortal twins. We worked on a spell that would protect me from something like Lilim happening again.” I began and Anelie had caught up to her sister.

“no, no, not happening” Annie said instantly.

“what? The sleep spell?” ivy asked a little confused.

“there is a very real threat coming our way. Ignacio and Mia will perform a ritual that makes them both stronger, that gives them more power. When that happens, it will start a chain of events that I simply cannot be around for.” I began.

“then we stop them from doing it.” Anelie said instantly.

“we will, but Ignacio is just as much as a danger to me as anything else. If he unifies with Mia, he’ll be more of an asset than a threat. Its only postponing the inevitable.” I explained.

“how do you know their ritual thing will start events?” Ophelia asked.

“We have prophets in the family that have seen what will happen. There will be a partial eclipse, the moon will cover the sun for a hundred days. Not completely, but enough for the earth to be in shadow, a little light will escape, enough to keep the planet alive. But it will cause drastic consequences, humans will struggle to live without as much light as they’re used to. Demons will be free to appear and disappear as they please. Not quite on this plane, but over enough that I will be extremely vulnerable to them. My true sight will fail with the sheer amount there will be. It will only be a matter of time before I let my guard down and they take the opportunity to start the war Ignacio and Mia are destined to end. I am the start. It starts with them taking over me.” I said looking to all of them. “I can’t let that happen.” I added and I saw my daughters visibly sigh in frustration.

“so, all we need to do is keep the tribrid away from the demon?” Ivy asked insensitively.

“you can’t keep her away from him, they’re imprinted” Ophelia told her cousin.

“I’ll build sixty-foot wall between them if I have to. I’m not losing my mother for 100 days.” Ivy said with a glare. I hadn’t told her the worst part yet.

“there’s more” I sighed. I knew Ivy would be the hardest to convince.

“isn’t there always?” ivy asked me.

“it will be more than just 100 days.” I said and Aleksander squeezed my hand in response. All of them started talking at once.

“stop. Please” I begged them. “I wouldn’t be doing this if there was another option. I don’t want to leave any of you.” I said and Naarah spoke for the first time.

“how long?” she asked carefully. I looked at her, my big sister. We had had decades together and yet it felt like a blink in our long existence. I knew I would come back to her, but I felt like we had so much more to learn about each other.

“years, maybe even decades” I said and Anelie was starting to cry at the table. Her head was in her hands. I walked over to her and knelt by her chair, pulling her into a hug.

“explain” ivy said, her voice was icy.

“when I’m put under the spell its going to use all my energy. I will be in an infinite loop of power and even though ill look peaceful; I won’t be resting. Ill be using everything I have to keep the boundary up. That’s why I will seem like I’m sleeping, my body will be in a frozen state between life and death maintaining the power. When I’m free of it, I will be exhausted. Beyond exhausted. I will be but a fraction of who I am now until I recover. During that time, I will be vulnerable.” I will be killable. I omitted from my family. I felt Eddie’s horror at my afterthought.

Esther.

I ignored his pressure for my attention.

“more the reason not to do it!” Ivy called out.

“Ivana-Chloe-Jane.” I said softly.

“don’t ‘Ivana Chloe Jane’ me mama. This isn’t happening!” she was nearly yelling. “the world needs you in it. My daughters need their grandmother. I need my mother” she said her voice breaking at the words. I reached across to take her hand that was on the table. Aleksander had moved to place his hands on her shoulders in comfort behind her.

This is why I need you here. With her. She’s going to need you more than ever. I placed in his head.

I know. Was his reply as he continued to comfort our daughter.

“there is no way you’re okay with this” she said turning to look at her father behind her.

“of course, I’m not, but your mother has made her decision. It is necessary” He answered simply.

“so, explain how we will ever be able to wake you up if you are that weak after the spell? How long will the vulnerability last? What do we do to bring you back?” Naarah asked me across the table.

“I don’t know how long it will last. It will last longer the longer I maintain the spell. I can’t be brought back until the threat against me is eliminated.” I answered her. “Zio is sending research parties out. Guard, friends, family. They’re going to search the planet, help with the destruction this will cause, and find help. Books, witches, vampires, anyone with any information on demons, how they work, how to access their realm so Mia and Ignacio can take the fight to them rather than bring it here. When Mia and Ignacio have done their job. Demons will no longer be able to enter our realm. I will be able to be woken.” I explained.

“what about those already here on Earth? The supernaturals that want you dead. If they find out you’re vulnerable, they’ll come for you.” Lidiya said speaking like the strategiser her husband is. It must have been a worry Matthew had spoken to Lidiya in the past.

“I will have the entire Volturi protecting me as I recover. I’ll have the only two true immortal beings on the planet, two of the most powerful witches in the world and life and death themselves to keep me safe.” I said looking at my husband, and the twins. Allesandra and the immortal twins weren’t here but everyone knew who I was talking about.

“Axton and Alena. This entire plan is on their shoulders. Your life and the future of our species is on them. Do you trust them that much?” Ophelia asked. I looked into my nieces’ eyes, the one I was very much aware was in love with Alena, even though she hid it.

“yes, I trust them with my life.” I admitted to her without breaking eye contact.

“they betrayed you once. You told me that. Why are you so sure they won’t do it again?” Naarah asked me.

“because they’re not the same people as they were and they both have someone in our family they don’t want to lose, that they love more than anything on the planet other than each other.” I said looking from my sister back to Ophelia. She blushed slightly.

“you mean Mia, for Axton.” She spoke.

“and you for Alena. Yes.” I finished and she dropped eye contact with me.

I don’t mean to make you uncomfortable sweetheart. I’m just stating the truth which you already knew. I need people to understand. Alena and Axton are the very best of humanity and you know that. But they don’t. I placed in her head. She gave a small nod in response to my thoughts.

“so, when the Volturi army have found a magical door, the tribrid and her demon imprint have defeated the enemy and Axton and Alena survive that war to bring you back, when you stay hidden long enough to recover from the most vulnerable you will ever be, we’ll finally have you back in what, ten years? Twenty?” Ivy asked.

Before I could answer her question, a message ran through my head.

Esther come to my office. Zio’s thoughts resonated in my mind and I looked to my family.

“Zio is summoning me.” I announced to them.

“we haven’t finished here. I can’t just accept this” Ivy said but I knew the others had. Each of them in their minds knew they couldn’t persuade me otherwise. So, I gave Ivy one last look and left the room. Aleksander would calm his daughter and make her see reason. I knew he would. And she would be okay. It would just take her a little longer to accept than the others.

“Esther” Zio said when I appeared in his office. He nodded behind me and I turned to see we weren’t alone.

Mia.

------------------

I couldn’t help the panic setting in. I thought id have more time. It had only been a couple of hours since we saw Mia last, we had no idea she would run off to Ignacio and do the ritual. I thought she would have told us first or asked or mentioned it or something.

“we should summon the twins,” I said after Mia left the office of Zio. I knew the second I saw her something was different. She had done the ritual without consulting us. It was as clear as day. But it didn’t matter now. Everything was in motion. She’d started the war without realising and she just didn’t know yet. I walked over to the window and looked up to the moon that was gradually moving across the sky. Others probably wouldn’t have noticed it, but I could. It would be in front of the sun before the day was over.

“we should wait a few days.” Zio said reaching for my hand.

I remembered meeting Zio as a child and couldn’t ever believe he was the son of Aro. He had grown up to be everything his father wasn’t, even if his ruthlessness matched Aro’s, Zio was a Cullen, through and through. He had led the supernatural world in a way that made Aro’s reign seem nothing more than a tyranny of fear and repression. Zio had become one of my closest friends and confidants.

“I don’t have a few days. I have hours” I said squeezing his hand in mine as I stared out the window at the sky.

“Esther” he said softly, and I turned to face him.

“how am I supposed to do this without you?” he asked and suddenly he was that little boy hiding behind Bella too shy to say hello. He wasn’t the strong man that had become my friend that led the Volturi without pause or falter.

you, my dear friend, are so much more than you think you are. The day my daughter married your son I knew I would be forever tied with this place and I am so grateful you took your place beside them. I know you didn’t want to do this job and that’s what makes you so damn good at it” I said with a bittersweet smile. “you can do this; I believe in you and you’ll have all the support you need.” I added. “we need to get the twins here to start the preparations whilst I say goodbye to my family.”

“ill bring you back. I promise” he said, and I was shocked at the emotion in his voice. I knew we cared for each other as family, but we had never really said it. I had been there as his constant for so long. I had been so consumed about how my family would feel I didn’t really stop to consider Zio.

“ill be back by your side in court before you know it” I smiled at him, but he couldn’t smile back.

“Go spend your last hours with your family, I’ll start off everything else” he nodded as he walked to the door. I sent out a telepathic message to Axton and Alena to ask them to come to Zio’s office urgently if possible. He paused at the door for a moment to look back at me. He looked scared, petrified even. I sent him an encouraging smile. He would be okay, he had Chantelle and his son and grandchildren at his side. He just needed to find his feet without me. I had complete and utter faith in him. He gave me a small nod before he dipped his head and he left me alone in his office.

There was a knock merely a few minutes later.

I opened it to see the immortal twins looking at me confused.

“is everything okay? Is Mia…?” Axton asked but he didn’t finish his sentence as I let them in and closed the door.

“Mia did the ritual to unify with her imprint” I told him, and he kept his poker face intact as he nodded in response.

“you didn’t answer the question” Alena added. She had always been the most intuitive of the two. Axton was all charge and reactive. Alena was submissive and observant.

“Mia is absolutely fine” I assured her. “better than fine. She has more power now than she did before.”

“then what’s wrong?” Alena asked me again.

“what’s going on?” Axton asked and I pointed to the seats for them to sit. They did as I asked, and I pulled up Zio’s desk chair to face them.

“it’s time” I told them with a reluctant sigh.

“Esther no” Axton said with a shake of his head knowing immediately what I meant.

“Mia and Ignacio’s ritual set off a chain of events. In a few hours there will be an eclipse. An eclipse that will last a hundred days. Clara isn’t the only one with prophetic dreams. Alice Cullen saw it. This eclipse will bring the demons, but they will not be able to pass over completely until they get the power they need from me. There will be increased possessions in humans, but they won’t be able to take physical form here unless they use me to do it. Mia and Ignacio would need to use the pack to fight them off. Mia’s pack isn’t even complete yet. They’re supposed to lead hundreds, the pack that belongs to Leah and Zac will be a part of it too.”

“you can see them though, the demons, they’ve never been able to possess you because you have true sight” Axton said, and his words were true, but he wasn’t seeing the bigger picture.

“the hundred-day eclipse is a window into our world. They will be on our realm and will not be as clear to me as they are now. I cannot risk the chance of them catching me off guard. Zio is planning on sending a research party, across the world to find more information on this prophecy, to find any more links or people that may know more about demons and the realms that layer our own. He’s going to do everything in his power to find a loophole. He wants to see if he can send Mia and her army to the demons, rather than having the demons come to us. If he finds a way to do that, Mia can defeat the threat and then you’ll be able to bring me back.”

“why can’t we bring you back after the hundred days?” Axton asked confused.

“you know why Ax” Alena said sadly. “Esther will be extremely weak. She’ll take months to regain her power after the spell lifts. Her true sight could fail. She would be entirely more vulnerable to demonic power”.

I gave Alena a small nod to confirm she was correct.

“we’ll help. We’ll search the world; we’ll talk to our father. We’ll find an answer.” Axton said strongly. He knew better than to argue with me, but he was also just as much a martyr as me. He would do anything to help.

“I’m going to have to kindly beg you not to do that” I said, and both the twins looked at me in confusion. “Zio has plenty of people to do the research, to find the answers. What I need you to do is far more important and far more dangerous and I’m so sorry.” I said leaning forward on my knees. I crossed my hands and started at my fingers. The golden band of my wedding ring seemed to shine brighter than ever before.

“what is it?” Alena asked and she copied my stance, so she was closer to me as I spoke.

“you’re both entirely unique. You were created by your father and Lilim because of your connection to the Nephilim. You were the only successful creation of immortal witches. Your power comes from angels, distantly but angels still.” I explained to them they didn’t answer so I continued. “your power is the only power in this world that can work against demonic power. Ignacio is natures loophole, but he can’t protect others. He was made to be a part of a whole. Mia and Ignacio have so much to work on before they perfect what they can do together. You are both seasoned witches. You have protected and trained many and only blossomed in your power. You have impressed me again and again each time I see your strengths and I couldn’t be more grateful that you chose to help me and my family with our purpose here at the Volturi and the unique children born into this family. You’ve proven again and again the devotion and service to our vision of the supernatural world. I see how you love and how you protect and how you want to make the world a better place and I can’t help but feel a kinship to that. You may not be my children, but you encapsulate my legacy.” I said and I could see Alena’s eyes blur with tears. I reached out and took her hand in the space between us. “thank you for devoting your time and life to protecting my family. Thank you for loving them” I said looking between both of them. “you may not be a Cullen or a Volturi, but you are absolutely and completely a part of this family and I need to ask you something that I would only ask of family.” I said swallowing my own emotion.

“anything” Axton said quietly speaking for the pair.

“I need you to protect them all, to take my place in the Volturi court, to support Zio, to help my daughters, to be my legacy” I said unsure if they were sure when they meant ‘anything’. “and I’m sorry because I’m going to be honest. It won’t be easy. Whilst the few that know, understand why I have to do this, some wont. I can’t promise that everyone will support you in my place. I can’t promise people won’t blame you for my condition, for my absence.” I said sadly. I was thinking of how angry I had left Ivy. She wouldn’t be the only one to react like that. It didn’t matter how much I would tell people this was my choice. I knew the mind well; people would blame the twins because they will be the keepers of my soul. “you will be the only two people in the world that can bring me back and as much as I have manifested fear into the supernatural world, there is also a lot of devotion too. People may beg you, threaten you to bring me back and Zio will protect you with the law but there’s only so much that can do. I can’t protect you from the emotion or anger of those close to us. I can only do so much to prepare my daughters and family, I don’t know what they’ll feel years down the line if I’m still not back.”

That means you too. I said knowing Eddie was listening to this entire conversation. He was still hanging on the words I had thought before. About me being killable. He hadn’t left my mind since. Chloe was ushering him around as they got ready to leave England and fly to Chicago.

You know I’m fighting to get you back and you’re not even gone yet. Eddie responded. But I will not blame children for your own sacrifice. I will try to protect them from the scrutiny just as you would. He added and my heart swelled for love for my best friend.

“the world will descend into chaos without you in it” Axton said his voice was almost shaking. “there is rest because people are afraid or admire you.”

“it is true, but Zio is a strong leader. He is preparing for the likelihood and he’s going to need you both on his side. You have the right kind of power for this job.”

“you really think we can do this? take your place?”

“I don’t doubt it for a second” I told them honestly and then turned to Axton. “there’s something else you need to know” I said softly, hating the idea of hurting this man. He had sacrificed so much and done so much for the Cullen’s and now I was about to take away the one person he loved other than his sister.

“what is it?” he asked but he already knew it was to do with him and not Alena.

“after Mias merge, she’s now mystically linked to a demon. It means that no power will work on her, like they don’t work on Ignacio. Her power signature has changed.” I explained wondering if he would understand, or id have to say it.

“okay?” he asked still unsure. I sighed and looked to Alena.

Just tell him. She thought and I could see she’d already worked it out in her head, but his mind was too blind with love for Mia to ever consider he wouldn’t be able to see her, even as a friendship.

“you are part angel Axton; Mia is now part demon. Your power is toxic to each other. You will no longer be able to share and combine your power with hers. You will no longer be able to rely on each other for any kind of boost. If you so much as touch her, you will cause intense pain to both of you. The longer your powers are in contact with each other, the more painful it will get and the more danger you will both be in. You must promise me, Axton, you will stay away from her. The risk is catastrophic, for both for you and for the potential you have to help stop this demonic war. We need you and we need Alena to be at the strongest you’ve ever been and that means staying away from Mia and Ignacio.”

Axton didn’t answer at first. I could see his mind processing the words I had said and although he understood the language, his mind couldn’t grasp the fact he and Mia were now poison to each other. My heart broke for him.

“I was going to tell Mia about this myself, it was a theory until the Volturi scientists confirmed it with their tests. But Mia and Ignacio did the union without talking to us and now she still doesn’t know. I would do it myself, but I wish to spend my last few hours with my family.”

“I’ll do it” he said as he swallowed slowly his emotion.

“I’ll come with you” Alena said reaching out to hold her brothers’ hand in comfort.

“no, it should be me.” He said looking to her briefly. “could we destroy each other’s power if we touched? When you say dangerous what do you mean?” he asked for clarification.

“your powers are likely to repel each other. You are both far too strong to actually destroy or dampen the others’ ability. You wouldn’t kill her if that’s what you’re worried about” I clarified.

“you said she’s part demon now…” he began.

“she isn’t, not genetically. She is completely and exactly the same as before, however mystically and magically she is linked to Ignacio and they share forms of power. You are the tailor opposite of Ignacio. The toxicity of his demon form is now linked to Mia’s power, making her power toxic to you. But just as she is toxic to you, you are to her and Ignacio too. It is why your power will still work around him whereas ours do not.”

“I promised her I’d be by her side. That I would be with her in this fight.” He almost mumbled. He didn’t want to break his promise to her.

“and you will be, and you can be. But you just can’t be close to her, not how you used to be” I said trying to clarify without telling him straight he couldn’t be in a relationship with her anymore. I had seen both of them since the imprint and they both felt the same as before, so I knew I had to say something in case they decided to continue.

“that won’t be a problem” he mumbled, and I saw their breakup conversation. I nodded understandingly.

“very well.”

“you say our blood and magic are one of the only things that work against demonic power. Did any of the prophecies or visions mention us? Or are they solely about Mia and Ignacio? Because if we don’t appear in them does that mean we won’t be there by Mia’s side? What would keep us from standing with her?” Alena asked me.

“there aren’t any visions of the war exactly. It doesn’t mean you’re not there. We only know some events leading up to it, and we’re trying to stop the ones that start with me being taken over. When I’m in the spell, Alice or Clara may have another one that foretells the next step. Until I am protected, the future still stands as it is.” I explained and Alena nodded in understanding. I looked out of the window to see the moon was edging even closer to the sun. I had just a few short hours left.

“the room is ready downstairs; I need you to conserve your power for the next few hours, so you’ll be ready to do the spell” I said to both of them as I stood. They stood to stand in front of me.

“I need your word, your word you’ll do as I asked. You’ll be my proxy, my legacy.” I said looking between them both.

“you have my word” Alena said instantly, and I turned to Axton. He gave me a nod, but I waited to hear the words.

“you have my word.”

“thank you” I said to both of them sincerely. “I have to prepare my family. I will see you when the moon starts to lapse the sun” I said looking back out the window for a moment.

“Esther…” Alena said when I went to leave.

“yeah?” I asked.

“I’m so sorry” she said thick with emotion.

“yeah, me too” I said swallowing my own emotion as I left.

I won’t make it in time. Eddie’s thoughts ran through my head as I made my way back to my sisters’ home to face my family again. I won’t get to see you before you go under. He added and I tried to push the feelings down. Only it was Eddies sadness and regret I was feeling too.

You’ll be here when it matters. I responded but he didn’t care about any of that.

I just want to be able to hug my best friend before you disappear. Our link will break wont it? You won’t be able to maintain it, you’ll have to be concentrating on other things. He mentioned and I confirmed it without being able to hide it. I couldn’t hide anything from this man. It was impossible.

We’ll hug when I awake. I answered trying to stay strong. Having my best friend break down was not something I needed at this moment.

“Eddie?” Chloe was asking her husband as he sat, his head in his hands and his breathing became quicker.

I love you, Eddie. I’ll see you in a few years or so. I said and pushed him out of my mind to avoid his emotion overcoming me as I entered the house again. It was pointless to sit in our joint anger and sadness. Nothing was going to change, and I needed to be with my family, to give them this time before they faced impossible odds without me.

“you’re back” Ivy sighed and fell into my chest. I held my daughter against me in a hug.

“it’s in motion” I said looking over my daughter’s head to my husband who entered the hall.

“what?” he asked in shock.

“what do you mean in motion?” ivy asked pulling away.

“Mia did the ritual. The eclipse is starting. There are a few hours before it is in position over the sun. the spell happens this afternoon.” I informed them as my other daughters and sister entered the room.

“that’s not enough time with you” Anelie asked tears welling up in her eyes again.

“two hundred years is a lot of time when you think about it” I tried to joke but my family looked at me with a glare. I sighed as I took their hands and brought them into the room to sit down.

I spent my last few hours with my closest family. My grandchildren came within the hour, after they had been told what was happening and I was grateful they spent most of the time laughing and telling stories rather than crying and arguing. Benjamin was my only grandchild that wasn’t here but luckily his flight would land before I had to start the spell so I would at least see him before I went down.

Every now and then I would look out the window to see the moon as it got closer and closer to the sun.

Benjamin arrived with an hour to spare and I felt oddly at peace seeing all my family in one room together.

“we’re coming back. I’m going to help my father and grandfather and my sister. I’ll do everything I can to help bring you back Nonna” he said as he hugged me. I held my grandson in a hug. Broken that I was the reason he had to come back to a job he finally was free of. But I knew better than to argue with him. This was who he was.

Dread filled my body as the last hour ticked away. It had been hundreds of years since I felt the passage of time as I did in that hour. I could feel every second and minute.

I knew I had to leave them now. But my body just wouldn’t let me leave. My husband’s hand covered mine as I stared out the window at the moon just minutes away from its first contact with the sun. When I turned, I realised everyone had left the room and I was face to face with Aleksander.

His lip was quivering, and his eyes were glazed. I reached to place my hand on his cheek, and he closed his eyes tightly in response.

“I love you more than life itself. I will return to you as I have countless times before.” I promised him again and when his eyes opened the emotion was gone. He leant forward kissing me softly.

I love you. he thought in Bulgarian and when he pulled away, he left his head on mine. I smiled.

I love you too. I responded and I knew it was time. They were waiting in the hall and I gave each of them one last hug before I left with Aleksander’s hand in my own.

“somethings wrong” I said as we stepped outside. The moon was just reaching the sun and my vision began to blur.

“Esther?” he asked. Shadows danced around me. I could see them itching for the opportunity to break through. They were circling around me, taunting me.

“we have to go, now!” I called to him and started to move quickly across the grass to the mansion. The entry way was blocked by shadows, stopping me from entering. They knew.

I showed Axton and Alena what was happening and how I was blocked from entering the mansion. Demons were dancing in the garden around me. They were winding their way up trees and circling my body like sharks.

We can’t teleport to you; we need our power. Axton answered and I could hear the fear in his mind. it matched my own.

I have an idea. Alena thought and she pulled out her phone and dialled Mia. I couldn’t move. If I did, they would take me, but I also couldn’t teleport myself because I needed every ounce of power I had to perform the spell.

Mia arrived moments later with Ignacio holding her hand. Their eyes focused on the shadows around me. Clearly, they could both see what I could see.

“what’s happening? Why is there so many?” Mia called and I looked up at the moon that was now halfway over the sun. I had left it too late. One too many hugs, one too many stories with my family. I gripped Aleksander’s hand tightly at my side. He was watching me with horror on his face. He couldn’t see what was happening, but he knew exactly why I had stopped moving.

“its started. The eclipse will bring them across. I need to get to the lowest floor of the Volturi mansion. Axton and Alena are waiting to perform a spell, one that will protect me from the demons until they leave our realm.” I explained quickly but the demons started to flicker around me. They were crossing over, making it impossible for me to see them.

“don’t move!” Ignacio called out and I had no way to get inside the building. He walked up to me standing between me and the door. His form blurred in front of me, and he wasn’t human anymore, he was a shadow, his arms reached out and the few demons I could still see were halted in their tracks, they couldn’t move.

‘follow me closely’ Ignacio spoke only it wasn’t in my head or coming from his mouth. It was just in the air.

“he’s controlling them. he can hold them off to get you inside!” Mia shouted as she ran ahead and opened the door for us to enter. I slowly moved behind the shadow form of Ignacio, Aleksander’s hand still in mine.

I had to trust him. It was my only option. Mia kept running ahead, making everyone leave each room we entered, opening doors and making room for us to move. I directed her on each floor the way to the room Zio had prepared and when we finally made it Axton and Alena were waiting with Zio and Chantelle.

“we only have a few moments” Axton said in pure fear as Ignacio returned to his human form.

“I can’t enter that room” he said eyeing the protection around it.

“neither can I” Mia said in realisation as she looked to Axton and Alena inside the protective walls.

“thank you” I turned to both of them facing Ignacio specifically. He nodded in response.

“what’s happening?” Mia asked as I entered the room. Aleksander brought my hand to his lips and kissed the back of it and my wedding ring.

“we have no time to explain.” Zio turned from Mia to myself as I climbed onto the bed.

“you need to leave” Alena turned to Zio, Chantelle and Aleksander. They reluctantly stepped over the threshold to join Mia and Ignacio on the other side. Alena and Axton walked either side of me on the small bed and I lay back with a deep sigh. My hands reached out to either side of me as the twins took them and began speaking in ancient Latin.

Esther. Eddie’s voice was back in my head. There were no more words, just pure emotion.

I’ll see you again my friend. I thought, my eyes closing, and my mind started to drift. My mind started to burn. It felt like light was penetrating its way into every part of my being. Power was building up inside me ready to burst any second. And when it did, I saw them in my mind, smiling, waiting for me. My family, my sister, my daughters, my husband, Eddie.

My last thought was simple.

I’ll come back to you.

5 comments:

  1. I love the admission that Alena and Ophelia really do love each other. Esther's plan, though, hurts. It's crazy to see that she's now asleep, not sure when she is going to be back. I can't wait to see what happens in Diamond Legacies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting as always <3 and yeah the Esther thing i planned when i wondered what my world would look like without her in it and it tied in so well with what i had planned for Amirah. I had made Esther such a pivotal character over the years that could fix pretty much everything. Writing a world of problems in Diamond Legacies that Esther cant just fix is actually kind of fun.

      Delete
  2. cant wait for diamond legacies 2 will that be next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes Diamond Legacies is next and then Every Moment which is a Clara/Axton collection of extras based in the future and it will tell their story.

      Delete
    2. On your Fandom can Clara and Axton son be the firstborn before she had other children with Elijah and that Levi leaves the Earth because of his parents break up and doesn't want to be around any of the other people they date and so he goes off for a while but he travels back in time and find some mate and they both leave has adventures in other galaxies far far away and then after his mom divorces Elijah and she and his dad go and get him back

      Delete