Tuesday 18 October 2016

HIDDEN



Hidden
Emalie Black
June 2176

I woke to the sound of my alarm blaring, I turned over to silence it, just in time for my wheaten terrier, Lady to come bounding into my room. She jumped on my bed to give me a good morning kiss. I giggled as I hugged her head to my chest.
"Good morning lady," I said softly. She lay with me for a few minutes before I climbed out of bed.
I dressed, ate and left the house with Lady for a quick walk before work. I was currently living in Seattle and working in a before and after school club. I loved working with kids but I really wanted to be a writer one day. I just refused to live off my family's wealth to ensure it happened. I hadn't touched a dollar of the Cullen fortune since I turned eighteen. Unless you include Christmas and birthday presents of course but a lot of my siblings or cousins would often tap into our endless inheritance if they were desperate.  My brother and cousin Asherah the most. But I refused to go anywhere near it. They didn't know how to be adults let alone support themselves and I was proud to say I could. Not that I judged them at all, my twin and my cousin were my best friends and I loved them to the ends of the earth, we just had very different personalities.
Eliam, my twin brother was an engineer, after our father insisted he needed a trade. He travelled the world, taking contracts where ever he thought he might like. I had received a postcard yesterday from Milan, even though we were in the golden age of technology I still preferred books and physical copies, I had a wall in my apartment full of postcards and pictures from Eliam all around the world. Liam was definitely the freelance sibling. More than my older sister Lauren ever was. He was never tied down, never had a true long-term relationship, he didn't even stick to one gender. He tried everything and anyone he wanted. I envied my brother, he wasn't scared of doing anything, he was the textbook definition of adventurous whereas I was the complete opposite. I even moaned when Asherah would take me to a club on a Saturday because it took time away from Lady and my writing.
Asherah was my cousin, my aunt Elizabeth's daughter. She was a wolf and a lot like my cousin Holly when she was younger I've been told.  She spent a lot of time with her moms best friend Allesandra growing up which I think resulted in the adventurous personality because I certainly didn't contribute.
Asherah had persuaded me to go out tonight since it was a Friday and my last day before work ended for the summer. Eliam was also on his way home to visit so I was extra giddy at the thought of seeing my twin. I was staying in La Push with my parents for summer vacation, I was taking Lady of course I couldn't leave her here with Asherah, she'd probably forget to feed her. Eliam said he was going to stay for at least a week, plus I had my other siblings in La Push too. William was still here, training my older sister Chartelle to be alpha of the pack. Chartelle was now married and had a daughter, Amirah. Amirah was special, something the world had never seen, which meant she was hidden and kept secret, protected constantly by the wolves and her parents. She couldn't even leave the house without a wolf or vampire guarding her. Not even all the Cullen's knew about her she was that special, Amirah was completely unique. 
I loved my niece, she was a lot like me, we would sit and talk for hours or just be in the same room as each other writing or reading. I sometimes felt sorry for her, not being allowed outside of Washington but she would tell me she didn't mind. Until she was old enough to protect herself and be aware of all her abilities she had to stay hidden. At least that's what she told me as a child. I never brought it up again but Amirah was physically eighteen now, being born ten years ago, my grandfather Carlisle predicted she was fully grown now but only time would tell. It had been a while since anyone in our family had someone new to watch over. Carlisle and Esme had moved back to Forks. My parents had stayed around, and my grandparents Edward and Bella were here nearly every weekend. My aunt and uncle Elizabeth and Kai were still here, Kai helped William and Jacob train new wolves, and more importantly helped Chartelle in her alpha duties.
Chartelle was a born alpha, possibly more so than even William was. She took to in naturally. Her first phase was out of choice and that same day she imprinted on Ryan, her mate. He had stopped phasing only two years previously due to his mother being a witch and forcing his wolf gene inherited from his father to become dormant. She was the mother in law from hell for my sister. Her magic had stopped Ryan's healing abilities and also his immortality. Ryan knew one day he'd leave Chartelle from old age and that angered him. He had gone straight to Carlisle and asked him to turn him the next day, with my sister by his side. Ryan became a vampire and they married a few weeks later. Ryan's mother was furious that she had saved him from being one supernatural creature to him becoming another but he insisted it was his choice and she had left him no option. A month after their wedding my sister found out she was pregnant. She was an immortal human, turned wolf. Ryan a born warlock, turned wolf, turned vampire. Their daughter Amirah was all three. The first tribrid in the world. Born witch, vampire and wolf. My sister carried her for five months before Amirah made an appearance. It was so bloody that my grandfather even called in the life and death twins for help but Chartelle managed to pull through by some sort of miracle before they even got here. My grandfather Edward worked out that Amirah's blood in Chartelle's system had healed her completely, revealing healing powers in Amirah's blood that could heal any and all wounds. The discovery of Amirah's abilities only continued with her growth. She was ten now, but physically twice that age and Chartelle and Ryan found something new about their daughter every week. She lived on human food but when she drank blood it was like a power boost. She didn't need it to survive but it heightened her abilities immensely when she drank, especially her witch magic. She relied on blood for it to work but when it did, even Esther had trouble keeping up with her. Esther came at the beginning every now and then to help train Amirah in her magic but Esther was no seasoned witch, in fact she only had limited abilities, and so they trusted Axton and Alena to teach her. Something I heard them all arguing about for months, especially Edward. He didn't want them here, he insisted it was risking her safety but the moment Amirah lost control and hurt a wolf that was guarding her on a hunt was the day Edward finally caved and Axton and Alena were here the next day. They now stay at Esther's old house and are with Amirah every weekday, teaching her and helping her control the immense power she has inside of her.
The vampire magnified the magic and the magic relied on the vampire inside her to work, where as the anger and complexity of the wolf made things volatile and unpredictable. Chartelle wanted her daughter to focus less on her supernatural side and more on her human side, she wanted her to go to school, travel, meet people but Ryan was protective, insisting she needed to learn everything about herself before she even step foot outside of Washington state.
Ryan, with the backing of my entire knowledgeable family won. After all they knew what it was like to have a child not in control of their ability and having to deal with the disastrous consequences.
I tried to help Chartelle though, with what she wanted for her daughter. I brought books, VR, technology and things from the outside world to my niece so I could teach her the normality of the world when she wasn't with Axton and Alena. This meant I had a very strong bond with my niece and I wouldn't have it any other way. Sunday was my day with her and I looked forward to it every week.
After I finished walking Lady I left for work and sent a message to Eliam to ask if he was on his way home yet. When I got home at seven that night I knew something was different. I hadn't had a reply from my brother so I was starting to get worried. The second I stepped through the door, instead of Lady greeting me it was the arms of my twin brother.
"Hey miss Emmy!" he hugged me tightly.
"Hey Ellie," I giggled at our childhood nicknames for each other. I could never say Eliam as I child so I called him Ellie. He never seemed to mind it was a girl's name and he called me Emmy.
"I've been worrying all day why didn't you reply to my message?" I asked him.
"I wanted to surprise you," he said as I closed the door and took my coat off. As I walked through my apartment I could smell my cousins perfume. "Ash I can smell you," I called out waiting for her to jump out at me at any point.
"Damn it," she muttered appearing in the kitchen. I laughed as she climbed out from under the table. "Are you ready to go?" she asked looking at my clothes.
"I just walked in from work Ash, no I'm not," I laughed at my cousin. I was then greeted by Lady who was circling my legs and trying to jump up on me. I gave her a hug before putting my bags down.
"Well I'm here to help," Ash said leading me to the stairs. "El you gunna help too?"
"Of course, I learnt this new technique in Milan, you'll love it Ash!" Eliam announced, he and Asherah began talking about makeup and fashion as I went into my bathroom to shower. I sighed as I ran the shampoo through my hair. It was always so much fun when my brother was home, especially with Ash. I didn't mind going out with both of them, I just didn't like doing it every weekend like Asherah liked to do. I walked out in my towel with another in my hair. My brother was hovering over my bed, laying out my clothes for me.
"What do you think Ash?" he asked.
"Don't I get an opinion?" I asked my brother and cousin.
"Of course honey. Just after our opinion 'kay?" Eliam asked me, never sounding gayer in his entire life.
My brother had about three personalities, his straight side, his gay side and his wolf side. He never actually phased, he was adamant from a child he never wanted to be what our brothers and father were but it didn't mean he didn't have the traits of a wolf, just like I did. As for the other sides, it depended on the day.
By the time they both had me ready it was about nine o'clock and I was starving so we headed out for a meal first before hitting the clubs.
I barely remembered what we did, all I knew is by the next day I could barely move and I needed to be in La Push by midday.
I woke in my house, that was a good sign. Lady was lying next to me on one side, Asherah was on the other. I was still in my dress from the night before. I sat up too fast, my head spinning from the alcohol I had consumed. I hated being reckless, but I was grateful for hangover pills. The glory of modern medicine. I knocked one down and my body was back to normal in ten minutes, no head ache, no aches, no nausea, nothing. I got a quick shower and dressed, realising the time was nearly eight in the morning. We had to leave in the next half hour to get to la Push in time and I hated being late. Lady stayed at my feet as I searched my tiny two bedroomed apartment for my brother. I found him in my spare room, with a man and a woman on either side of him. All of them were naked. I shook my head before grabbing the stuffed cat that had been thrown by the door. I threw it at my brother in the middle and he woke with a jerk. I managed to close my eyes fast enough not to see something I didn't want to see.
"Clothes brother," I whispered. I heard him get out of the bed and waited a few seconds before looking. My brother had pulled on his underwear and was heading over to me. I giggled slightly at the two strangers in the bed. I pointed at them and he shrugged.
"I couldn't pick so I brought them both home. You were fine with it, I promise," he grinned. I rolled my eyes and gave him three pills.
"Get them out of my house please," I told him and went to get Asherah. She was gone from my bed and the shower was running.
I cooked a quick breakfast and we got on the road right on time. Asherah was in the passenger seat and my brother was sitting in the back of my little mini with Lady.
"I'm sure this car is a hundred years old," my brother muttered at the lack of space.
"it so isn't. It's only twenty." I said shaking my head.
"You're driving it!" he yelled. most cars were automatically driven now with the choice to be manual. This didn't have that choice.
"Its styled on the 21st century cars, I like it," I argued.
"You're such a Cullen," he said as a supposed insult. All the vampires in the Cullen's had manual cars. They refused to enter the 22nd century.
"Grandpa Edward appreciates my choice in cars," I said defensively.
"Yeah and he's like two hundred years old. Literally," he mumbled.
"Do you still have a headache?" I asked him.
"Yeah those pills don't work on me as well as they used to," he complained. Asherah and I laughed at my alcoholic brother.
"So Emma did you have fun last night?" Ash asked me.
"I did thanks," I grinned.
"There's a god?" my brother laughed, Ash laughed with him and I frowned a little. They both carried on lightly making fun of me for the fact I don't go out as much as they do.
"Hey I go out!" I interrupted trying to defend myself. They were the only reason I did, because that's what they liked to do. would they stay in at mine on a Saturday and read a book because that's what I liked to do? Not in a million years.
"It's alright Em, we're only teasing," Ash said taking my hand.
I tried to forget about the things they said as we entered La Push. We pulled up to our parents house and grabbed our bags and that. Ash said bye to us and headed off in the direction of her parents house and Eliam and I head to the door. The door was open, as it always was and Eliam called out for our parents.
"Is that my little boy I hear?" our mom called out.
"Mommy!" Eliam called again. I heard our mother running to the stairs, then saw her at the top. She was grinning, her long brown hair in curls over her shoulders, looking as beautiful as ever. It was impossible she had nine kids with a body as perfect as hers, I couldn't even eat a chocolate cake without seeing it on my hips a week later. She ran down the stairs at vamp speed and collided with her son.
"I missed you too mama," he said softly. I turned to see our dad coming down the stairs now. He was smiling at the scene as he came to greet me. I hugged my father and breathed in the familiar smell of him as his large arms engulfed me. It was insane how safe I felt like this. It was like nothing in the entire world could reach me when I was being hugged by my father. The feeling was the best in the world. Eliam and I swapped so we could greet our other parent.
"You seem different," my mother said to me, holding me at arm's length after our hug.
"Do I?" I asked.
"She went out last night that's why," Eliam chimed in. I rolled my eyes.
"Did you have fun? Did you meet anyone?" my mother asked, taking my hand as she led me into the kitchen. She was already preparing lunch.
"No, I wasn't the one that woke up this morning in bed with two people," I said, trying to take some light off me.
"It's not a successful night if I wake up alone okay?" Eliam asked sitting at the island as mom went to finish lunch.
"I missed your cooking so much," Eliam said smelling the air.
"Well you should come home more often. I see you the least of all your siblings, I see Sarah more and she's in Brazil!" Nessie declared with a glare.
"I'm a busy man mom," Liam stated, pulling our his phone as it buzzed.
"I know doesn't mean I don't miss you," she said carrying on. I turned to see Jacob on the floor with Lady, play fighting. I smiled at them, next to me, my dad is Lady's favourite person. He would play with her all day.
"Ever thought about getting a dog?" I asked him.
"We have one," my mom answered back before my dad could. He just grinned at her.
"Your mother wouldn't be able to deal with the heartache. Ten years isn't very long to an immortal." my father answered. "I think she'd rather have kids, you all last longer," he added with a grin.
"Hilarious Jacob," my mother said with no hint of humour in her voice. I smiled at her.
"Are you pregnant again?" Eliam asked.
"No.. why is that the first question people ask when they haven't seen me in a while?" she said slightly annoyed.
"Because you've had nine kids," Liam laughed. "That's more than Aunt Lexi."
"I didn't have nine at once! I had six then a hundred years later, three more. It's not the same." She complained. I stood up and hugged my mom from the back.
"I agree mama. Its different when you're immortal. I wouldn't judge you if you had more. You live for your kids. It doesn't matter if you have nine or ninety, you're an amazing mom," I said to her.
"Thank you Emalie," she said and turned to kiss my forehead. "And yes there will be more eventually, maybe fifty years," she said determined.
"There will?" my dad asked with a sigh. I laughed at him.
"Hey, before I was pregnant with Chartelle you were begging me to have more!" she glared at him.
"You're just as bad as mom, dad don't pretend," I grinned. he smiled back.
"I suppose it does take two," he admitted.
"Ew," I laughed just as the door swung open.
"Where's my baby brother and sister?" William's voice echoed into the house.
"Kitchen Will," Jacob called and my oldest brother was in the door way with Sophia at his side. I smiled at my big brother and Sophia came over to hug me. Eliam and William greeted each other the way men do and I went to hug him.
"Just in time for lunch, awesome," Will said sitting next to us at the island.
"Luckily I made double isn't it?" Nessie asked as she dished out the risotto.
We had light conversation over lunch. I was excited to go see my sister and niece after this. I knew Amirah would have her day off from training today so I didn't have to compete for her company.
I excused myself and headed over as soon as I could. Luckily it wasn't far. Chartelle lived in the heart of La Push, she had twenty four hour protection surrounding the house. It was a good thing our vampire relatives had moved back so there was more wolves to be put on duty.  More and more kids were desperate to be wolves, since Chartelle's reign as Alpha she had introduced a new loyalty system... money. Carlisle was happy for her to start giving the wolves an 'allowance' for helping to protect Amirah. They all had standard hours and did it out of loyalty for the pack but those that wanted more hours and could sacrifice their time would get paid in return. After all, They needed money to live and if they spent most of their time as a wolf most of them didn't have time for jobs. It wasn't enough to seem like bribery but it was enough to help them all out, and Chartelle was so supportive with each and every one of their wolves. They had the best job in the world.
I passed by three wolves as I headed to the house. They all watched me as I entered but I just gave them a quick wave in response. All the wolves knew me now, I even got the privilege to meet new ones days after they have phased.
"Mia!" I called into the house as I stepped inside. I heard my niece's door swing open and she bounded down the stairs with a huge smile on her face.
"hey auntie Emalie," she said as she hugged me. I looked behind her to see Axton and Alena appear. I frowned.
"Why are they here?" I asked her.
"They're my friends," she said pulling away.
"But it's your day off," I said reminding her that weekends were for world teaching not magic teaching. It was her mother's effort for balance.
"Auntie Ema they're just here to hang out. I'm not getting taught anything. They're actually quite cool people if you let them show you," she grinned. I smiled back seeing her so happy.
"I have nothing against the twins Mia, you are my priority that's all," I said taking her hand just as Chartelle and Ryan walked into the hall.
"Hey sister," Char said as they walked into the living room.
"So Mia what do you want to do tomorrow?"
"Can we go out on a field trip?" she asked with a grin as we made our way to her bedroom. I looked at her sceptically.
"Do you think that's a good idea?" Alena asked. Axton had disappeared, but Alena had followed us up. I liked Alena, it was her brother I was a bit unsure about, he was so broody it gave me a headache looking at him. Alena was so much easier to talk to and I knew she loved Mia with all her heart and that made me feel better knowing she was with her, she knew her limitations where as Axton would always want to push Mia to see what she could do.
"We'll take a guard, you could even come with us. That would be okay wouldn't it Ema?" Mia asked me.
"I guess so but you would have to ask your mom," I reminded her. She nodded and looked solemn.
"Would you like me to ask for you?" I asked her with a laugh. Her face lit up.
"Mom always says no when I ask but if you say its educational she'll let me and if she doesn't I think we should just go anyway," she said. I had only ever taken Mia out on a field trip twice. First time was with every member of the Cullen's and nearly the whole pack. It was ridiculous and Mia didn't learn a thing because everyone was so protective of her. She was physically five and they freaked out when she ran too fast and fell over, grazing her knees. She was immediately taken home. The last time was to the Zoo and Mia's vampire side came out, forcing us to go home again in fear she'd eat the animals. She'd gained a lot of control since then though. I imagined shed be okay now but who knew.
I didn't often suggest field trips because so many people had to come with us. it wasn't fun or educational when you had vampires on your toes every second of the time but it was worth a try.
I left Mia with Alena as I went down stairs. Chartelle was alone in the living room with a book in her hands.
"You have time to read?" I asked my busy sister. She looked up and smiled.
"Saturday is my day off," she said to me putting her book down.
"I've come to ask you something for Mia," I said.
"Go on," she sighed.
"She wants to go out," I said to her softly.
"Where?" she asked.
"Anywhere. Just let her go with minimal guards. She needs more freedom," I said to my sister.
"I know Emmy. I do. it's just so hard. I'm so paranoid and Ryan is even worse," she said with fear coating her voice. I sat next to her and rested my head on my big sisters shoulder. She was taller than me by nearly a foot.
"She's going to rebel. She's becoming a teenager in mind and body. She needs to get out of La Push.  Better in your control than her sneaking out."
"She'd never sneak out, she's too much like you," she smiled.
"I wouldn't be so sure," I said thinking about what she'd said before about going anyway even if her mother said no. "I understand she's your precious little girl Char. You've done everything right for her up until now and I know she sees that. But she's not a little girl anymore. She needs a bit more freedom or she's going to become a woman and go out into the world and not know a thing about it other than what I've shown her in books and technology."
"I know you're right Emmy. I do. That's why I have you teaching her all these things but she's not in full control of her abilities, nor does she know the full extent of them." she argued.
"Then let me take Alena. You named the twins her guardians, she can protect her from anything. Me, Alena and Mia. Alena would give her life for your daughter. She'd protect her or control her if we needed to. No one knows who she is. She's safe," I argued. Chartelle looked at me for a moment before nodding.
"Okay, but it's going to take some convincing for Ryan to agree."
"You can work on that whilst we're already on our way to Seattle," I grinned as I stood up.
"Ema," Chartelle said stopping me. I turned back. "I'm trusting you, no where that will set her off."
"I know my niece Char. Better than anyone else in my life," I said to her. She nodded softly and picked her book back up to carry on reading.
Mia was ecstatic when I told her I had persuaded her mother to let us go with just Alena.  By the next day I was surprised that none of the family had said anything to me, which probably meant Chartelle hadn't told Ryan yet. I went to collect Mia and Alena and we headed out in my car. I had the music on loud so we could sing along to old songs the entire way to Seattle. I was surprised how many words Alena knew. She never struck me as the singing at the top of her lungs type. I liked her more and more every day.
We were going for a shopping trip and maybe get some food for lunch before heading home. it would only be a few hours but it was good for Mia just to be normal and to see how the human population worked. Mia was unbelievably excited she'd get to shop. Normally aunt Alice did it for her.
"So where first?"I asked her as I parked.
"Anywhere, I want to go everywhere," she smiled as she took each of our hands. Alena stopped her before we actually left the car park and stood in front of her making eye contact.
"Let me take it," she said softly. Mia nodded and closed her eyes. They held hands for a moment, when their eyes opened Alena's were glowing and she was breathing heavily.
"What did you do?" I asked.
"Gave her my power temporarily. It calms my cravings for blood," Mia told me. I nodded and took her hand back. Alena's eyes went back to normal and she joined us quickly.
They worked out a few months ago that Mia could flood her power into another supernatural vessel, it worked best with a witch, even better with an immortal one like Alena, but she could also do it with moon pool children like Esther. It was like using them as a catalyst for her magic. It completely left her body but after a while it floods back to its rightful owner. Her magic magnified her vampire side, it made her crave blood and blood magnified her magic, in fact she needed to drink blood for her magic to even work, hence the cravings. It was like two sides of her were begging for her to drink blood at all costs and she struggled more with self control than any of our vampire relatives did. This meant that the magic wasn't stirring the vampire to feed when she was in a crowded mall full of food.
It was a delightful few hours, seeing Amirah happy and almost human for the first time ever. She went inside every store. Even ones targeted to men, or dogs, or grocery stores. She just loved it all.
"I'm going to go get food okay?" Alena asked. I nodded and she left me with Mia in a clothes shop. Mia headed to the changing rooms to try on a dozen dresses and I carried on browsing whilst I waited for her to change.
I didn't register the vampire as she walked past me and it angered me later that alarm bells didn't go off in my head as she passed me, clearly on a mission to get somewhere. As I turned back to Mia, everything happened too fast for my human brain to catch up. It wasn't until later that I found out exactly what happened through Edward. The vampire headed straight for the changing rooms and as I reached there all I saw was a decapitated head on the floor, coated in blood from the body right by it. The vampire was ripped apart but so was the very human store clerk that helps out in the changing rooms. The blood was everywhere and also all over Mia who was curled up in the corner shaking.
As the vampire went to acquire Mia, she had lashed out, with no magic or vampire side, she could only protect herself with the wolf who lashed out angrily ripping apart the vampire with her teeth, the human had got in the way at the wrong time and Mia, overcome with anger and confusion had ripped her apart too.
"Mia!" I gasped as I ran over to her. Nearly slipping on the bloody floor. She was sobbing.
"Oh my god Mia" I said rushing to her. She jerked away from my touch and snarled at me. For the first time in ten years I was scared of my niece and backed away.
I was so glad the next face I saw was Alena because if another store clerk had come in I don't know what would have happened. She didn't gasp, or act shocked. She got straight to business.  She waved her hand to the opening of the changing rooms.
"What did you do?" I asked her.
"Created an illusion so no one comes in," she said. "Mia come here," she added holding her hand out to Mia. Mia stood, shaking like a leaf and took Alena's hand.
"I killed them... I killed them," she was chanting.
"its okay. it's okay. We can fix it okay?" she told her. "I need to know if there was anyone that could have seen this? Was there anyone else around?" she asked her. Mia shook her head.
"I don't think so," she whispered.
"Okay. We need to go okay? I'm going to teleport us and the bodies."
"The bodies...?" Mia asked confused.
"They can't stay here," she explained and touched the vampire then the girl, they were instantly ported away, to where I had no idea. Alena waved her hand again and the blood staining the walls and floor cleared. It looked like nothing had ever happened. Within the next second we were gone from the changing rooms of the store and were in the living room of the Cullen mansion.
"Carlisle!" Alena shouted. Mia had fallen to the floor by the dead girl and started to sob again. "Carlisle!" she shouted again. I was just standing there, in pure shock over what had happened.  Had the vampire purposefully gone to her? Had she just gone for a snack and encountered Mia without knowing?
He was in the door way in a moment and his eyes fell on a distraught Mia.
"Esme give Chartelle a call," he announced before walking over to her. "What happened?" he asked.
I explained the best I could and Alena explained what she had done. Carlisle nodded with approval and placed a hand on Mia's shoulder. She erupted snarling and pushing him back.
"Mia calm down. Your emotions are taking control, you need to stay calm!" Alena told her.
"Calm down? I just killed an innocent girl! She's dead! Because of me!" Amirah shouted.
"We can get Anelie here, we can fix it. It was an accident," Alena said to her softly.
"You don't accidently tear someone to shreds," she sobbed falling to the floor again. Axton appeared out of the corner of my eye and approached Mia in the middle of the room. She let him as he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into his chest. She turned and sobbed into his shoulder but he didn't seem to mind as she soaked his shirt. He held her tightly and his face was etched with pain for the girl in his arms. Years and years Axton has trained Mia, it must have felt like a failure to him, or he genuine truly cared for the girl sobbing in his arms.
"Mia are you hurt?" Carlisle asked. "Did the vampire hurt you?" he clarified.
"No. The vampire was in two pieces the second she stepped into the cubicle." Amirah announced lifting her head from Axton but she didn't move to leave his arms. I shuddered. I couldn't imagine my baby niece fighting a vampire. Not at all.
Chartelle came racing into the house and she gasped as she saw the scene on the living room floor. She immediately ran to her daughter and pulled her away from Axton. Mia relaxed in her mother's arms and let her carry her out.
"I'll get on the phone to Anelie," Alena said quietly, she swayed as she walked.
"Alena sit down, you just teleported five people a hundred and fifty miles. You're exhausted." Carlisle said.
"I'm fine," she stated as she steadied herself. Axton stood and took his sisters hand. She visible straightened up.
"Thank you brother," she said with a sigh as if she felt much better.
"Let's go get the life and death twins," he said and they disappeared.
"Or do that, I suppose that's quicker than calling," I laughed awkwardly. Carlisle looked at me and smiling very slightly but turned back to the vampire as if he couldn't quite look at me. "Do you know what this is going to do to Mia?" he asked me as he adjusted the bodies so they weren't so far apart. I couldn't watch him do it.
"She's upset." I said in a whisper.
"More like traumatised Emalie. This is what her parents were protecting her from," he said. "She's volatile, the combination of wolf and vampire in her is toxic, she needs to learn to control it."
"I know," I said sadly. The look of disappointment on Carlisle's face cut me deep. Carlisle was never disappointed in his grandchildren. Never. This was entirely my fault.
"No it wasn't Emalie. Amirah wanted to go out, you were only fulfilling her wishes and you knew she would have gone alone if you and Alena weren't there and this could have turned out even worse if you both weren't there, Mia has a unique scent, it was always a risk a vampire would be around." Edward said coming into the room. He went straight over to hug me and I didn't realise how tense I had been until I relaxed in my grandfathers arms. "It was a hard lesson but this will help her. She understands the need for control now." He added.
"Emalie!" I heard my sister shout. I flinched slightly hearing her alpha voice. I was suddenly glad I wasn't a wolf or I'd be on my knees. My grandfather kept his arms around me as she entered the room with Ryan close behind her. He looked furious. "Why are you comforting her grandpa?! My daughter is upstairs absolutely distraught because her aunt was reckless enough to leave her alone in a populated area!" Chartelle shouted.
"Calm down Chartelle. Your sister did no such thing," Edward defended me. "Mia is her own person and did this herself. Emalie had nothing to do with it. She did the right thing by coming to you the moment Mia expressed a wish to go out. She would have gone anyway, you knew that, it's why you let her go. It's better that she went with two people that knew her and could control the situation. Mia lashed out. It could very easily have been your little sister on the floor of this living room in pieces and Mia is very lucky it isn't for that would have damaged her even more. Mia is now aware of her issues and Alena and Axton can help her work on them. This was going to happen either way. be grateful it was controlled and the two women on the floor are still going to get to live. I understand it's a horrible thing for Mia to experience but she has to learn. There is only so much teaching and practicing she can do. She needs to have more real life encounters with her anger. Had this happened a few weeks ago in a controlled setting the outcome may have been different," Edward explained with such a rational head I hadn't even thought about it like that myself. What if I had been in that changing room as that vampire approached Mia? I shivered at the thought.  Chartelle visibly relaxed. Ryan was still furious though.
Ryan began to talk but Edward stopped him.
"Ryan I know where you're coming from. I've been in your exact position if you remember rightly. Twice! Both my children were unknowns to us. My second child vastly more powerful every day. You're not the only one to have gone through this!" He argued. Ryan relaxed at the voice of reason.
Alena and Axton appeared hand in hand.
"Anelie and Chantelle will be here in three hours." Axton announced. "I didn't explain what happened, just that we needed them. I figured once Anelie brought them back we'd need to change their minds about what they saw, so I asked Chantelle to come."
"Good thinking," Carlisle complemented Axton. "And thank you for not telling them but I guess it's time they find out about what we've been hiding in Washington." He announced looking at Chartelle and Ryan. Chartelle looked sick.
"They're family Chartelle. They'll protect her too," Edward said to her but she didn't reply. she just walked out of the room. Probably to find her daughter.
During the three hours Mia stayed upstairs and I didn't see her once. The bodies had been moved and the floor cleaned. As soon as Chantelle and Anelie landed in Seattle, Axton and Alena went to teleport them here. I guessed too much distance tired them out with all the teleporting.
Anelie and Chantelle didn't ask, they just did their jobs and as Carlisle began to explain Chantelle interrupted.
"It's okay grandpa. You don't need to explain. Zio knows there's something going on and that the only reason you could possibly be keeping it from us is to protect someone. When you're ready we'd like to meet this person you so desperately want to protect but for now, we understand and were here when you need us. I'll ask Esther to remove what I saw in the girls minds, so even I won't remember the wolf who managed to tear apart a vampire still in human form, not even my husband will know." Chantelle said, her hand resting on her grandfathers cheek before smiling at him.
"That's very understanding of you Chantelle" Carlisle said kissing his granddaughters forehead. "Your kindness will not be forgotten and one day I will explain. For now, she is too unique. Send our wishes to your husbands." He said nodding to Anelie. She smiled, although I was sure my brother would have told his imprintee about his niece, after all, all of my mother's children knew Chartelle had a child. Most of them just didn't know a lot about her. Tony included but Anelie was smart, she must have put two and two together. Especially since the mystery niece was so quiet and they still hadn't met her yet.
"We shall see you soon" Anelie said and they both said farewell to everyone still in the house.
The vampire and human were let go, in opposite directions and far away from La Push of course. Chantelle assured us they would be ok and wouldn't remember a thing about what had happened the past few hours.
Chartelle took Mia home and I decided to stay at the Cullen's with Edward, the only person that seemed to forgive me for traumatising my niece. Even my parents couldn't look at me.
I had never felt so awful in my life.
"Emalie stop it. It's the hard truth everyone needed to face," my grandfather said coming into the room with Bella. My ancestral twin. We looked scarily alike if it wasn't for our hair and eyes.
"It wasn't your fault Em, everyone needed a wakeup call and now we know truly how volatile Mia is. It can be worked on. You did a good thing by fulfilling her wishes. you couldn't have known." Bella said sitting next to me. Her hand came to my head and she leant in to kiss my temple. I sighed into my grandmothers arms and Edward sat on the other side of me.
"How about we go for a run?" Edward smiled at me. I couldn't help but smile slightly at my grandfather. As a child there was nothing I loved more than climbing onto my grandfather's back and him running through the forest. I loved the thrill of it and the wind passing through my hair. I never got to run like my siblings or relatives, I never phased, I was just plain human so my favourite thing to do was to climb on the back of one of the wolves or vampires and for them to just run. I would ask my grandfather every time I saw him for about three years.
Edward stood up and held his hand out. I smiled wider as I took it and he stood me up. Bella followed and Edward pulled me onto his back as we got outside.
The next thing I knew I could feel the wind in my face and the blur of green around me. I looked to my right to see Bella running next to us, hand in hand with Edward.
I smiled widely and closed my eyes, letting the wind take all my worries away.

 -------------------------------

Hope you liked this little extra, it was nice writing the lives of a new set of Black children. Now onto the next ;)


Full character explanations are on my wiki. For pictures and bios of the main characters see below.



3 comments:

  1. Very good, happy to read a story of chapter from you again! The whole time i was reading i was trying to remember everyone and how they are related.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I constantly reread your stories, I'd love to continue to see your writing if you keep posting(: I hope your New Year was good by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, its nice to know theres still people reading. Ive had an eventful holiday that destroyed my schedule to update but a sort of sequel to this extra will be up soon.

      Delete