Monday 6 February 2017

Labor Day Extra

I finally have this extra ready to publish.
I didnt want to put too much 'futuristic' stuff in it, i mentioned pollution and cities growing and a slight change in medical care but im sure this far in the future we wont even have hospitals but it wouldnt have brought the same point across if i changed it too much. So please look past the fact this is so far in the future that things wouldnt be like this and enjoy the growth of the Black family.
I apologise for the wait on this. I had a lot happen to me the past month and a half and there was no way i could have got it out any sooner. This is going to be my last piece of writing for a while. I have no idea when ill be adding to my stories. This is only being published because it was mostly all written before my life crashed. Thanks for the continued support. I love the small bunch of you i have left.

~Nikki

A reminder of children and years they were born, mates and where they live. Although the latter two aren't really important in this story. Click their names if you need more information to remember.
William Edward 2015 - Sophia Cullen : La Push
Sarah Isabella 2016 - Nahuel : Brazil
Lauren Chantelle 2017 - Nick Clearwater : Canada
Anthony Charlie 2022 - Anelie Balev : Chicago
Zachary Masen 2022 - Leah Clearwater : Outside of Chicago
Isobel Chloe 2025 - Jason Black : Italy

Chartelle Elizabeth 2147 - Ryan Barnes : La Push
Eliam Kai 2151 - Various places
Emalie Alexandra 2151 - Seattle

Sethla Emmett 2188
 ---------------------------------------

Isobel sat, her husband Jason meters away eating breakfast in their small country house in Italy when the door bell went. Isobel opened it to a doorman from the security on the complex, he looked confused as he gave her the card in the red envelope. No one used post anymore, at least not regularly. The postal service was extortionate but Isobel knew that wouldn't stop her mother assuring every one of her children would remember Labor Day. Isobel smiled at the familiar script written by her mother and opened the envelope.
My dearest Isobel,
I write to remind you that your father and I expect your presence during Labor day weekend. This year we're in La Push. We look forward to seeing you and your siblings.
Love, forever,
Mom.

---------------------------------------

Amalia Black
4 September 2195

I was the accident. Born fifteen, nearly sixteen years ago to my very surprised mother and father. I got a younger sibling when I was old enough to ask for one and understand the consequences of a new baby and my little brother Seth was born seven years ago. 

It wasn't just me and Seth though, I had many siblings, many many. I had William, he was the eldest of our infamous family brood. He lived in La Push with his wife and my sister in law, Sophia. He had been around every day of my life so far, my brother's life and my older siblings too. He was like the link between the different 'generations' of children. My eldest sister was Sarah, she resided in Brazil with her husband Nahuel, I rarely saw her but she was the one I went to for advice on sibling stuff. Next was Lauren, my favourite sibling, if that was allowed. We were very much alike, I got on with her the best and she was like my best friend. the only down side was she lived in Canada with her husband Nick. I spoke to her nearly everyday though and she visited when she could, she just refused to move back to La Push where she had grown up, for reasons that I could never understand. Zac and Tony were the eldest set of twins, they were in Chicago with the Volturi part of my extended family, Tony was there to support his wife, life herself, Anelie. then Zac was the most powerful alpha to ever have existed, next to his imprint and wife Leah. They ran the most powerful shape shifting pack in the history of the supernatural. He had formed a coalition, or 'The Guild' as he and Leah finally named it. Rumours of their joint alpha-ship of Quileute's spread and they had shape shifting tribes all across north America coming to pledge their allegiance to them, eventually news spread across south America and Europe too. I had no idea there were so many shape shifters out there, but there were and my brother was alpha to nearly every one of them. They all changed forms to wolf and serve under his and Leah's name. After the twins was Isobel. She and her husband Jason lived in Italy. I rarely saw her, only once a year when all my siblings were required to see their parents in La Push, she always kept to herself and Lauren. 

After Isobel my parents had a break, 122 years to be exact. Chartelle was born 48 years ago, she was a born alpha and still lived in La Push now with her imprint and husband Ryan. They had a prodigy daughter who was insanely powerful. Chartelle was also alpha of the pack still residing in La Push, those that hadn't chosen to join Zac's pack. Most wolves are given a choice on their first phase, Zac or Chartelle. Emalie and Eliam were the next set of twins and the only fraternal ones, Eliam lived everywhere and anywhere, he was never in the same place more than once. I loved hearing his stories every year growing up of the new places he'd been too, or returned to old places and seen changes. he was very good at telling stories and definitely had a way with children. He was often the brother I got most excited about seeing. Emalie was a teacher in Seattle and came home every weekend. She, William and Chartelle were the only ones of my older siblings I saw on a regular basis growing up, the rest I saw on Labor day, or sporadically in between. 

There is only 28 years between me and the fraternal twins. I was a result of my mom's contraceptive pill failing for the first time after 164 years. There is only a 99% success chance on those things after all. You'd think this far into the 22nd century my parents would update their contraceptive but apparently not. I was born in 2179, named Amalia Rosalie. My middle name was an obvious one but I'm the only child of Renesmee and Jacob not to be directly named after someone, my mom just 'liked the name Amalia', I get 'amar' a lot or just 'lia'. My brother Sethla Emmett, was given his name after a very old friend of my parents and of course my uncle. I was the odd one out. Even Chartelle, Eliam and Emalie had amalgamations of loved ones for names.  I liked it though, that I wasn't tied to a memory or person in my life. I was my own person and I lived life one day at a time. I would often go out when I wanted, go visit my random siblings in different parts of the world or distant cousins. My parents tried to keep me grounded as a child but by the time I was twelve I didn't want to stay in  La Push, I reminded them that this wasn't the 21st century, it was nearly the 23rd and I was not staying put. The age of being an adult was lowered to fourteen a few decades ago and I made full advantage of that. This didn't often go well with Seth though.

My little brother was diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum at two years old. From day one I loved my baby brother, it didn't matter he was different, everyone was different. I grew up by his side, learning things as he learnt things, being by him when he couldn't handle something, soothing him when he needed it. I was the only one that could calm him in his outbursts, not even my parents could most of the time. We connected on a unique wave length. I was born highly intelligent, at least for a human anyway. My granddad Edward had been homeschooling me since I was four years old, and by the time I got to school age I was too advanced to go into standard elementary school so my mom let my grandfather carry on teaching me into middle high. I was adamant I wanted the whole high school experience, even if I learnt nothing academically so my mom enrolled me last year into Forks High. It seemed to be a rite of passage now for our family members. A year into Forks high and I asked my grandfather to keep teaching me new things. I had technically graduated years early. I was already learning college subjects with Edward but I still went to school for friends and fun. Seth wasn't far behind me, but that was expected with his specialities. He was insanely good at biology and mathematics. He was on par with my vampire relatives with memory and arithmetic's. He would sit for hours talking to them, I was the only human he liked to talk to because I stood a small chance at understanding him, unlike the rest of the humans he'd met, our siblings included. My brother was very set in his ways, he liked things done a certain way, liked routine and liked to know where people were. Me included, so those adventures I like to go on were always reported to Seth first. So he could prepare for me to be gone for a while. I did everything and anything for Seth, even though he was only a child. He ruled this house. So from going to just having one sibling in the house to nine overnight took Seth a few months to prepare. 

Luckily after Seth's birth my parents made it so it was the same weekend every year. The first weekend in September, from Friday to Monday, all eleven of Renesmee and Jacob's children would make their way to la Push, Washington to spend time with their family. No partners, no children. Just my parents and their kids. Partners, like the imprinters could come and stay in one of the many houses my family owned in La Push and Forks. It was so they were near enough not to make imprints uncomfortable but were strictly forbidden to participate in the Black family activities. It was only really Nick, Jason and Nahuel that followed their wives to the event. The others stayed with children or work commitments. Leah and Anelie were often applauded for being able to stay away from their imprints for three to four solid days but my eldest sisters always joked that was because the women were tougher than the men.

The dynamic between the different generations of children grew every year, especially the more we all got to know each other. William was like the middle man, he'd been around for everyone growing up and I loved seeing him with the siblings I didn't normally see. it was like taking a glimpse into the past. His unique relationships with us all showed how much he was a part of everyone's life, he was the big brother and the leader of the Black kids pack.

It was Friday morning, the day everyone would start arriving. Those that lived closer to us would be here around noon, those that had to travel were expected various times but everyone was coming even Eliam who had got away with missing a few due to work and travel commitments. After two years in a row, Dad started to get angry at him, saying how they don't ask for much, just to see their son once a year and how he had been raised to respect his parents. Since then he never missed a year.
Everyone had to stay in our parents eight bed-roomed house that all of us had grown up in. Some of us had to share but for a weekend, no one cared. Most nights we all slept together in the same room or downstairs in the living area.

Lauren arrived first and I couldn't contain my excitement when she walked through the door. I hugged her tightly and she returned my hug with equal enthusiasm.

"hey little sister" she whispered. I smiled into her hair. taking in her scent. I missed her so much.

"I missed you" I replied.

"me too" she said and we broke away just as William came in behind her.

"hey Laurie, it's your favourite big brother" he grinned and she turned to hug him with a laugh.

"you're my only big brother" she smiled.

"exactly" he winked and kissed her forehead.

"who else is here?" she asked.

"just us, Chartelle and Emalie will only be a minute." I said with a smile.

Over the next few hours everyone started to arrive. Chartelle and Emalie first, Zac and Tony, Sarah, Izzy and finally Eliam. He arrived just in time for dinner, the unofficial deadline to get here for. My mom was glowing with happiness and i couldnt help but smile everytime i saw her like this. She, Sarah, Izzy and Emalie had cooked the dinner. I stayed out of the kitchen before I burnt the house down and hung out with my other siblings, catching up what they'd been up to.

We all sat in the large dining room. Our parents at the heads of the tables and the rest of us in between.

"so this table physically can't fit any more people on it." Zac joked as he sat down.

"the next lot will get their own little kiddie table at the end" Liam joked.

"who says there's a next lot?" our mother asked as she walked in with the biggest roast turkey I had ever seen in my life.

"your track record" Lauren teased. Mom rolled her eyes and walked out to get more food. The next minute or so consisted of Mom, Izzy and Sarah bringing all the food out. Everyone sat down, talking amongst themselves but not touching the food. Finally both our parents came in and stood at each end of the table.

"thank you for all coming. you know how much this means to me and your mother. I hope you all have a fun weekend catching up with each other." dad said all formally it made me feel weird.

"yeah okay dad. let's eat" William said reaching for the food in front of him. Our parents sat down smiling as we all helped ourselves, various thank you's went out to the cooks and it was all demolished within twenty minutes.

The rest of Friday was spent together talking and exchanging stories. Saturday was spent much the same, only we had a Quileute bonfire to go to by four.

I sat with Lauren and Izzy, Izzy was Laurens shadow as a child and I was hers now. I sat listening to Lauren and Izzy talk, telling me about their lives the past year or so and the occasional story from back when they were little. Nick, Laurens husband snuck into the bonfire and was sitting behind her when our dad came over, he had his arms crossed.

"two days Nicholas, you couldn't survive two days?" he teased.

"no dude. the wife owns me" he chuckled, his arms tightening around Lauren's waist. Lauren giggled and looked up to dad nervously.

"well make sure Nessie doesn't see you. no partners allowed remember" he said with a smile and walked off.

"id like to see Nessie last four days without Jacob. I bet she couldn't do it." Nick chimed in.

"they've done it plenty of times" Lauren reminded him. "she visits my uncle in England all the time without dad"

"shhh" nick said with a smile. we laughed at him and continued our conversation.

Sunday was sort of, pair off and do what you want day. The girls went shopping, some of the wolves went on a run, some played very old board games, others avoided everyone, like my brother Seth.
I sat in his room on Sunday morning as he read from his book, a very rare and unique thing to have in the 22nd century. Seth had a wall of books, all a gift from our immortal grandparents.

"Amalia, how does Ivana truly influence molecules because according to this..." he carried on but I just stared at him. Ivana was our brother Tony's wife's sister. She had an ability that was like nothing anyone had seen before. She could influence people and objects on a molecular and atomic level. She could create and destroy everything she touched.

"Sethy, I have no idea. Gifts can't be explained by science"

"I would really like to meet her" he mused as he turned the page in a very boring looking old university text book.

"ask mom, I'm sure she can arrange it" I said to him as I lay across his bed, my tablet in my hand. 

There was a knock at the door and Seth's eyes grew wide and looked at it. People didn't knock at his door very often.

"hey Amalia, I was thinking of catching the girls in Seattle if you wanted to come" Lauren said taking a step.

"um yeah sure. In ten minutes though?" I asked. "I have to stay with Seth until eleven am" I informed her.

"oh sure of course" she smiled and left.

"thank you" Seth said.

"of course" I smiled at him. 

Every Sunday, without fail I came and spent the morning with my brother in his room, sometimes we read like we were doing now, sometimes we spoke about family, science or mathematics, sometimes we played a game but every Sunday at 9am I had to be at my brothers door or his routine would break and we wouldn't see him for a day. My parents had similar schedules with him. Luckily our siblings understood this, at 11 I kissed Seth on his forehead, still buried in the chemistry book and left.

Sarah, Izzy, Emalie and Chartelle had already left to go Seattle so Lauren and I would have to find them in the busy city.

We drove the speed limit the entire way. We were extremely lucky where we lived in La Push, not many people used cars and we were right by the open ocean air. We had very little pollution, if any at all. The further you got away and closer to Seattle, which now reached half way into the national park, (it had expanded that much over the years) the air visibly thickened. My mother and sister in law Sophia, being founders and a part of the heritage council of Olympia managed to protect the area of La Push and the surrounding forest, making sure that Seattle was never expanded onto the Quileute territory.  There was still half of the original national park left. The rest was now Seattle.

When we got there we couldn't even find them, we decided to go into the stores on the way but never actually made it to our sisters. We gave each other little dares, Lauren dared me to tap someone on the shoulder and pretend it wasn't me, I dared her to pretend to faint and see the reactions and pretend to buy a four hundred thousand dollar ring and change her mind. It was her turn to dare me as we walked out of the jewellery shop laughing.

"I dare you to make out with a stranger" she smiled.

"ew no way" I laughed.

"you've had your first kiss" she reminded me. I didn't have a boyfriend, my first kiss was when i was fourteen, it ended up being one of the wolves who phased a day later and didn't imprint on me so that relationship was out the window. He was now one of my best friends.

"so? I don't want to waste my next one on a stranger"

"oh go on" she teased.

"why don't you?" I asked.

"I'm imprinted" she said astonished id ask.

"so? the kiss doesn't mean anything"

"I haven't kissed anyone other than my husband in over a hundred and fifty years" She said taking the bags out of my hands. "that one" she said pointing at three guys on bikes by the theatre. I recognised them from my school.

"ugh no way, I know them" I said.

"even better" she grinned.

"I won't kiss them but I'll do one better" I smiled at my sister and walked closer to them. As I walked over, Jay, the only senior in the group, smiled at me.

"what are you doing Lia?" Lauren shouted. I ignored her and smiled at Jay.

"hey Amalia, want a ride?" Jay asked me. I nodded and climbed onto the back. he kicked the bike on and we took off. I looked back to see Lauren pull out her cell phone, probably to ring our parents but I didn't care. 

The rush was exhilarating, I had never been on a bike before but it wasn't much different than riding on the back of a wolf. Only it was slower. I encouraged Jay to speed up, and I was happy when he did. I saw a glimpse of fur to my right as we left the city. I rolled my eyes but I knew whichever one of my siblings were following wouldn't show their face in fears of scaring Jay driving so I ignored them. I heard a bark, one of annoyance and the guy swerved slightly but managed to straighten back up quickly. I laughed and he turned to look at me briefly.

"you like that?" he asked. I laughed again and he took this as a yes. Next thing I knew he swerved again, this time on purpose, he didn't catch the bike in time. It went sliding from under us. I was catapulted from the bike and I registered the feel of wolf fur as I was stopped from flying any further. I fell to the floor landing on my wrist badly. I looked to see it was William in wolf form, an angry expression on his face. I looked away to see Jay on the road, unconscious. I ran to him, my wrist aching with pain but ignoring it as I reached him. he was a mess. Next thing I knew I heard ambulance sirens and they were putting him inside. A paramedic came to me and inspected my wrist. I turned to see my brother was gone from the road.

"how did you manage to get out of this with only a fractured wrist?" she asked me in astonishment.

"I hit a tree, my ribs hurt too" I told her truthfully. Her hands went to my ribs and I flinched. they hurt but they weren't fractured, William was softer than a tree.

"get in, we'll take you to be checked over for internal bleeding" she said and led me to the ambulance.

I had lost my phone in the accident so I had no idea if my parents knew what had happened yet. I sat watching Jay on the bed. He was breathing, paramedics were running around him putting tubes and wrapping his wounds. It was then I noticed a tree branch imbedded into his leg and squirmed at the sight.

When we got to the hospital I was glad my entire family weren't waiting for me. Just William and Lauren. She had her arms across her chest.

"you didn't tell them?" I asked. I knew if they had they'd be here. William shook his head.

"I figured this is something you need to tell them" he said as I was led into a room. I showed my medical bracelet giving me access to a private room and a doctor straight away where as Jay was rolled off to the waiting room. It disgusted me and I felt awful. He could die, all because money couldn't buy him the best care. William and Lauren were allowed to follow me in, patient privileges and everything. The doctor checked me over and wrapped my wrist up. She discharged me and I was free to go. Jay still hadn't been seen. William took my other hand and led me to a car waiting for us.

We didn't say a word the entire way home. Right as we got home, Lauren smiled.

"ready?" she asked.

"yup." I sighed as I climbed out.

"chin up kid," Will said, his arm around my shoulders as we entered the house.

"What happened?" my mother said as soon as she saw us enter the house.

"Amalia got on a bike with a stranger and fell off at a hundred miles an hour. she has a broken wrist, the boy is much worse" William answered. I sighed at my big brother.

"he wasn't a stranger" I said defensively. I barely knew the guy but that was different.

"I figured you were going to try and worm your way out of answering properly so I did it for you" he grinned.

"you what?!" my mother yelled picking up my wrist and examining it. I flinched but she didn't seem to care.

My dad appeared at the door of the kitchen. William and Lauren walked away to the cinema room. I guessed to give our parents privacy to scold me.

"I just want to make a donation so my friend gets treated" I said quickly.

"he hasn't been treated yet?" my mother asked. I shook my head.

"he's red rating. he's badly injured though" I said panicky.

"name?" my mom asked.

"Jason Lord" I answered and she disappeared before I knew it. I was left with my father staring at me.

"Amalia you are not an average fifteen year old. you have a higher IQ than your half vampire mother and you are far from this stupid. what's got into you?" my father scolded me. I sighed. This was always the response when I did something like this. The 'you're too clever to be an idiot' card.

"just because I have pi memorised to a thousand places and can understand quantum mechanics doesn't mean I'm too intelligent to be a normal teenager." I argued attempting to fold my arms, it backfired and I flinched at the pain in my wrist.

"and don't think anyone from the family will be coming to heal that. It can heal naturally and remind you every day that there's a boy in the hospital because of you!"

"he was driving! he didn't have to go faster!" I complained, although I did feel really bad. I hoped my mom was getting him better treatment.

"guys will do anything if a pretty girl asks them and you knew that. don't argue with me young lady. you're grounded, until your wrist heals."

"A week!" I exclaimed.

"consider yourself lucky, when I was a kid it would have been two to six months!"

I rolled my eyes. the only thing with having an immortal family is that they sure loved to remind you how the world was centuries before you were even born. I walked away and found the cinema room where I knew most of my siblings would be. I entered the room and fell into a chair with a huff.

"there she is, the family rebel" Zac grinned at me. "not even Lauren was that rebellious as a child" he laughed and eyed Lauren. I saw her roll her eyes as she came over to me. I wanted to say I wasn't a kid but I knew to my century old siblings I was very much a child. All of them were here, i hoped my accident hadn't made them rush home.

"Are you okay?" she asked me. I nodded but didn't turn to look at my sister.

"hey at least she didn't run a hundred miles away as a wolf and didn't tell mom or dad" Sarah challenged Zac.

"or sneak off to a human boys house and make out with him on his couch until grandfather Edward walked in" he sniggered looking at Lauren. my eyes widened and Sarah let out a chuckle.

"I can't believe you just brought that up" Lauren glared at our brother.

"Zac at least the girls didn't drop Isobel over the banister" William eyed Zac.

"what?" Isobel shouted.

"you were caught by Sarah it's okay" Zac said waving William off.

"you dropped me over a banister?" Izzy exclaimed, still in disbelief. I was giggling now.

"it was an accident" Zac shrugged.

"how exactly did that even happen?" Emalie asked with a frown.

"I was only four. Tony dared me to do it and he'd give me his dessert after dinner" Zac shrugged. 

I laughed harder and Lauren began to join in. Izzy glared at me and Lauren to stop.

"how much trouble did you get in for that?" Chartelle said, she was suppressing a giggle too.

"I blamed it on Lauren" Zac chuckled.

"and I blamed it on Tony" Lauren countered.

"and I blamed it on Zac for actually doing it. I think in the end we all got in trouble" Tony said.

"yep and I had nothing do to with it. Story of my childhood" Lauren said.

"you didn't stand up for her?" I asked Sarah.

"I already told a white lie for her the previous day. I figured she deserved it" she smiled at me. I smiled as Lauren laughed.

"I bet it was fun having so many siblings in the house growing up" I mused.

"it was, but it was also the bane of my life" Sarah said with a smile. "especially by the time those three could walk and talk" she said pointing to the twins and Lauren.

"I honestly can't imagine you as trouble makers, I know you've often told us stories but I just can't see it" Eliam countered.

"I think we're the reasons mom and dad didn't have any more kids until decades later" tony laughed.

"you weren't that bad. you were easily distracted by a book or homework. It was Lauren and Zac that were the worst" William mentioned.

"except that time we were play fighting in Carlisle's study and knocked that candle over. It caught light on the papers on his desk and nearly set the house on fire." Zac laughed.

"I still wanna say that was your fault" William smiled.

"probably" Zac shrugged.

"remember mom used to change the wifi password to make us do our chores, so Tony just hacked into the router, changed the password and all three of us were sitting on a tablet each when mom walked in" Lauren laughed.

"oh my god! I remember that! mom hit the roof!" Zac laughed.

"mom also hit the roof when you shop lifted at 10 years old" Sarah laughed eying Lauren.

"you didn't?" I gasped at my sister at my side. She laughed, her head falling on my shoulder for a second before she sat up.

"Holly dared me. I couldn't resist a dare" Lauren giggled.

"no you couldn't, even if it risked your life" William laughed.

"you can't tell me you and Sarah were angels your entire childhood" I said raising my eyebrows, they had to have stories.

"remember that time we snuck out and you broke your ass?" Sarah laughed.

"what?" I asked. Will sighed.

"remember the play arena?" he asked.

"no but I've been told about it" I urged him. my dad built my mom a play area when she was a child, it was there for their kids too, it had been renovated various times over the next few decades before it finally fell down and was rebuilt into a park.

"one winter it was really bad weather, snow and ice for months. the arena had been closed for at least three months, one day Sarah and I were out playing and we snuck in, the floor was pure ice. we were laughing and chasing each other and I fell backwards, landing on my coccyx and the pain was excruciating. I couldn't sit down for six weeks. A week later the snow had completely melted and the arena was reopened but because of my injury I couldn't go on it for another two months" he said. I burst into laughter, so did Chartelle and Emalie.

"Hey lets go out now, all of us!" I exclaimed.

"you're grounded Amalia, and where exactly would we go?" Sarah asked. I shrugged.

"Just La Push, mom and dad wont enforce my grounding until you're all gone anyway." I said and stood up.

"I'm up for it" Lauren grinned.

"oh go on then" Zac said, tony standing after him with a grin on his face.

"wont be a sibling outing without everyone come on. Let's go cliff diving or something"

"no" William, Isobel, Chartelle and Sarah said at the same time. I rolled my eyes at them

"but we can go to the beach, I'll show you our old hideouts" will said standing. Sarah and Izzy copied with a sigh.

"fine lets go" Sarah said. Chartelle and Emalie looked at each other before finally standing, Eliam followed suit.

"Sethy?" I asked my little brother. He looked worried as he stared at his siblings all standing and watching him. "ill keep you safe, like always" I promised him. He nodded and stood.

"then I shall come" he said and reached for my hand. When Izzy went to take his other he flinched away and looked down apologetically. Izzy looked mortified, not at Seth, at herself.

"so sorry baby brother. I didn't think" she said softly and took my hand instead, Lauren took hers and the chain continued, different generations mixed in the row.

We made it to the beach after Sarah and Will worked their magic on our parents. It was a rare sunny day in September, First Beach was packed so we made our way to the more secluded beach that all of us seemed to know without actually telling each other where we were going. As we walked through First Beach people came up to say hi, mostly to Chartelle and William since they were the main face of our family to the people here. My heart started beating faster when I saw Henry Call, topless jogging over to us.

"hey boss" he grinned at Chartelle.

"I'm not your boss kid" she laughed. "you're not a wolf"

"yet" he grinned and his eyes fell on me. "hey Amalia"

"hi" I said trying to be confident talking to him. Lauren's eyes fell on me and I felt like her and Izzy were burning a hole in my back.

"excited to have all your siblings around?" he asked.

"yeah definitely. it's cool" I said awkwardly.

"well see you around. later boss!" he said to Chartelle and jogged back to the sea. I finally let out the breath I was holding. Lauren and Izzy both linked their arms with me as I continued walking.

"what was with that dude? why was he calling you boss?" Zac asked Chartelle.

"That's Henry Call. He hasn't phased yet. He thinks he will but most boys phase between thirteen and fifteen. He's seventeen next month. His ancestor was a close friend of dads, he likes to think he knows our family better than he does"

"I think he might get to be part of our family if he's lucky" Lauren joked, nudging me.
"whatever" I mumbled.

"hey wasn't Embry possibly our uncle?" Sarah asked.

"At one time, turned out he was Sam Uley's brother instead."

"woah what?" I asked. I remembered Embry from the stories my dad told me but I never heard he was our uncle, or might have been.

"he's not related to you so don't worry about incest or anything" Lauren nudged me again.

"so you like Henry?" Chartelle asked me.

"oh my god. Lauren I hate you"

"sorry for being observant" she giggled.

"I think he's a good match, he knows our secret but he isn't actually a wolf so he won't imprint on someone else and break her heart" Izzy said squeezing my arm.

"thanks Izzy" I said smiling at her.

"except he's going to die of old age and Amalia will still be young and beautiful." Eliam mentioned just as we got to the rocks that separate the beaches.

"she could still have a long life with him if she wanted." Emalie argued.

"ok can we all stop talking about my subjective fake future love life, I can barely even talk to the guy. I doubt ill ever be able to handle a date with the guy, if he even asked me out" I said with a sigh.

"he likes you too Amalia" Lauren replied. I laughed.

"how can you tell from one meeting?"

"because we're all a lot more experienced than you. we know how men work." Isobel smiled and helped me over. We got to the beach and into the trees.

We spent an afternoon laughing, joking, running and showing parts of La Push to each other and sharing memories. Luckily nothing more of my nonexistent love life was brought up. The day was going amazing until we got to the top of the cliffs. I wanted to cliff dive but my more sensible siblings were telling me not to. I was arguing that its better I do it with them than on my own later when I come back. Sarah was arguing I was grounded and wasn't allowed out on my own so I said I'd come back when they've gone, better to do it now.

Zac, Tony, Lauren, William and Chartelle had already done it, Sarah, Isobel, Eliam and Emalie were the only ones at the top with me. During this whole argument I had forgotten about Seth. I had also forgotten about his protests as we climbed higher up the cliff and how he doesn't like heights. I had been selfish enough to tell him we'll walk back down, I just wanted to see the top and he obliged because he loved me. At the top when Zac came up with the idea to jump off, I got excited, forgetting my promise to my brother. As the windswept at our hair and I continued to argue with my sisters and Eliam, I watched as Isobel's eyes fell on the boy behind me. They widened and she ran over to him but pausing before she touched him. I turned and my heart dropped.

"Seth" I gasped. He had his hands over his ears, cowering into his knees. he was screaming, but I hadn't heard it because the wind took his voice down the cliff and away from us. I ran over to him and knelt in front of him. his eyes were tightly closed and tears were falling down his cheeks.

"Seth I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry" I repeated. "Seth lets go down. we'll walk down now." I said but he wasn't listening. I reached out slowly.

"Seth it's me it's me" I said constantly as I reached to touch his arm. he didn't flinch when my skin made contact with his he slowly dropped his arms.

"come on Seth, make your safe space. where is your safe space? use your arms" I instructed him. he took a deep breath, his eyes stayed closed as he brought his arms up and folded them but kept them suspended hugging the other forearm.

"one" I said slowly, taking a loud breath so he could copy. he did.

"two" I said again and waited for him to copy. when he did I said, "three." he copied and opened his eyes.

"ok lets walk down okay?" I asked him. he nodded and looked to his side to see a very concerned Isobel knelt next to him, but a safe distance away. he stood and took my hand. I was shocked the next thing he did was take Isobel's.

When we got home Seth went straight to his room. Mom and Dad were furious, they knew he wasn't right and Isobel had to explain what happened. I was then banished to my room by my dad so I did so without even an ounce of complaining. I felt awful. not sick awful, guilty, how could I do that to my little brother awful.

I lay on my bed unable to sleep. This reckless streak had to go, I didn't know if it was hearing all the stories from my siblings that made me want to test my luck but I took my baby brother out of his comfort zone today and I had never felt so guilty in my life. I heard arguing and talking for a good hour after I came upstairs, my siblings were fighting my case but my parents knew that I was better than that. I never put Seth in danger, us three had an understanding, everything we did we thought about Seth first and how it would affect him. My siblings didn't understand that because they didn't live with Seth. I knew my parents were right, I already felt guilty enough as it was to hear my parents disappointment in me as well. It was a few hours after the talking had died down that there was a small knock at my door and my mom walked in with Izzy behind her

“can we come in?” my mom asked.

“of course” I said and sat up in my bed. They both came over to sit on my bed. My mom immediately pulled me into a hug and I instantly relaxed  I didn't realise how much tension I had been holding in until now. Her hug was forgiveness.

"its ok I spoke to Seth and he is okay so I'm okay." Nessie said pulling away and kissing my forehead.

"I'm so sorry momma" I said.

"there is nothing to be sorry for. Every one of my children are safe and here. That's all I care about" she said. "don't feel guilty baby, you were having fun. It's wrong of your father and me to put so much responsibility on you. You deserve to have fun with your siblings."

"thanks mom" I said with a smile.

"you're welcome. goodnight sweetheart" she said kissing me again and standing up to leave. she and Isobel's hands reached out and touched before my mom left the room.

"are you okay?" she asked. I shrugged and sat back on my bed.

"I know what it's like, to have to do something like that." she said as she walked over to me. Izzy was tall and gorgeous. She was slimmer than anyone in the family, she looked like a supermodel, even in fluffy pink pyjamas. She came over and crawled onto my bed next to me. It was strange being with Izzy. She was probably the sibling I saw the very least and yet she was still just as much my sister as anyone else. We barely knew each other and yet this felt like the most natural and familiar thing as she climbed onto my bed and we sat together like we had grown up together.

“you were really amazing tonight. I have worked with children like Seth for quite a few decades. I went through a phase of wanting to help a school by where I lived because I had seen one of the kids  get bullied for his disability. And never once in eighteen years did I see someone calm a tantrum like that so fast.” she smiled at me. I shrugged and looked down at my hands in my lap.

“he's my little brother. I've grown up with him. I've seen every single tantrum and learnt what sets him off, how to react and how to help him deal with it”

“that technique you did with him though. It works every time?”

“most times and only temporarily. He has to be in his bedroom to really get over a panic attack like that” I explained.

"it was really good, I mean I have degrees and diplomas and all the qualifications you can think of in children and especially autism. I wouldn't have been able to do that. Have you ever considered what you want to do when you're older?" she asked. I shrugged and lay back on my headboard.

"I have forever to think about that, I'll probably change my mind and career a million times before I die"

"you'll never die" she said. the words echoed in my head. I'd never actually really thought about it.My immortality. Of course that was only true immortality as long as Anelie and Lidiya were still here.

"has anyone been seriously ill? like died and had to be brought back?"I wondered.

"Lauren had cancer a few decades ago. Lidiya had to kill the cancer cells. it didn't last long. They found it pretty early. My son had leukaemia when he was a child. Lidiya got that too. Tony broke his neck once, he had to be brought back by Annie. He was also killed by his wife and was brought back by grandpa but that's another story entirely that mom doesn't even know about. I got in a car accident a few decades ago and I had to be brought back. Eliam was murdered in China. Luckily Emalie knew something was up and got Aunt Chloe to track him, she found him dead in a ditch. Anelie flew out the same day to bring him back. That was rather traumatic for mom to find out. She was mortified that her child had been dead for nearly three days without her knowing."

"Jesus" I murmured.

"yeah it was pretty dark."

I don't know how long Izzy and I spoke. It must have been well into the early hours of the morning because I woke with my head on her arm. She was fast asleep next to me, a blanket was draped over us. I wondered who had checked on us as I shuffled away from my sleeping sister and climbed off my bed to shower and dress. My siblings would start to leave today. I had never felt this empty before as I walked into my room with my towel on and saw Isobel still asleep. The house would be very quiet without them all here, empty almost. It saddened me as it did every year. 

I dressed quickly into just a pair of leggings and a long sweater. I was just brushing my hair as Isobel started to move. I smiled at her through the mirror. She smiled back as she sat up. She stretched and said good morning.

"hey" I laughed as I watched her get up stretching her fingers and toes as she did so. I did the same, every morning.

"what?" she asked.

"I do the same" I said nodding my head to her stretching. she giggled and came over to me, taking the brush from my hand and starting to brush my hair from behind. I closed my eyes and dropped my hands, letting her brush my hair.

"I always wanted a little sister you know. By the time Chartelle came along, I had my own life and children and grandchildren. I never thought I needed to be a part of her life, or Emalie or Eliam. Being here the last few years it's getting harder and harder to leave the more I get to know you all." she said with a sigh as she brushed my hair.

"Lauren told me you were always very family orientated."

"I used to be yes when I was little. I wanted nothing more than to be with my siblings" she smiled.

"then why don't you stay? be my big sister."

"you already have four" she laughed.

"I have five, and I only see Chartelle and she's too much like the boys, she's not bothered about us as much as her own daughter. She has a lot to deal and worry about. I think mom would like you being here again, she says she misses you and Eliam the most because she barely sees you, plus Seth likes you a lot." I explained, watching her reaction in the mirror. I didn't know what it was. Isobel and I had bonded over two days very quickly. I would miss her.

"my life is in Italy" she said and kissed my head from the back. "I'm sorry" she said. I nodded, I knew she had a husband she had to think of, and children and the generations she had in Italy.

"I understand"

The rest of the day felt empty. They all started to leave one by one until it was just Will, Emalie and Chartelle left. Mom was sobbing from about nine am when Eliam left to ten at night when Izzy finally left. I had to admit by the time Izzy left I felt like crying too. Saying goodbye to that many people for quite possibly a whole year was a lot to deal with, especially because I hated seeing my mother cry. 

That night I went to bed and slept fifteen hours solid. I guess that weekend wore me out.

Life returned to normal pretty quick when they were all gone. I went back to school, Jay was back in school after a week. We exchanged glances in the corridor but that was it. A week later i found flowers in my locker and a little bear with a bandage round his head and a note saying 'Thank you, J'. I smiled slightly and closed my locker before my friends saw it. 

Seth finally came out of his room by the Friday. I started hanging out with the wolves again and trying to hide my growing crush on Henry Call. 

At home things were a little bit tense, Seth was struggling and that meant so was my mom. I heard her crying to dad saying she needed help because she didnt understand what to do. She wanted to help him but didnt know how. It was then i knew what i wanted to do with my life, i wanted to help families, to give them support to deal with what ever it was in their life that was making them sad.

It was a late winter night, close to Christmas when I saw an unusual car on the drive. I walked up to the house and saw suitcases and some furniture in the car. I frowned as I entered the house wondering who the hell was moving in. I heard my mom laughing so I followed the sound to the living room. Sitting there was Isobel and Jason. She looked at me and smiled.

"you're moving in?!" I exclaimed. she stood as she accepted my excited hug.

"no, we're moving in down the street, to Will and Soph's old house but we'll be here." she said hugging me tighter.

"I'm so happy" I smiled as I looked up at her. she smiled down at me. She was freakishly tall. I was only five three. Thanks mom.

"I'm here for you but I'm also here for Seth" she said. I nodded. He was going to get more challenging the older he got. I knew we could do with an expert around to help out, for both my parents and Seth's sake.

"and me" mom said with a beaming smile on her face. "I missed my preemie baby" she smiled as she hugged us both.

"you're the little one now mom" Izzy laughed and hugged us both back.

"are you staying?" Seth asked coming in to the room. His little face had lit up at the sight of Isobel.

"I am." She smiled back and for the first time ever, Seth Black ran up to someone other than me and gave them a hug.

Life would work out, i knew it would, my baby brother would be okay. And so would I.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update(: it was nice to have something new. I'm sorry your life isn't stable at the moment, hopefully it gets better for you. I understand your need to stop writing for a while but I will be eagerly waiting for your next update on anything you do. I know it may not be your week but it may be your year (mayday parade fan haha) keep your chin up. Laterz <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Savannah, that's so nice of you. It means so much that there's still people reading the content i do manage to get out. Thank you for the comment <3

      Delete
  2. I loved it. Loved how even though there are different generations between them, they could still have that sibling bond. 11 kids that's a lot, but when you have that mother instinct it doesn't really matter. I think that Nessie would have a heart attack herself if she knew about what happened to her children. She wouldn't want them to leave her sight lol.... Great hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so crazy to read, all those deaths and diseases...my goodness you could write stories for years on each person and their problems. I can't figure out how he is autistic with all those good genes? To bad he couldn't be turned and see if that could help him? aaaahhhhh!! The possibilities! Thank you for updating Nikki! I hope your life gets back on track, keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep your head high and don't stop pushing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, been a while since ive seen your name around now im not on twitter much anymore. Since theres no 'cause' of autism i thought it would be really interesting if one of Nessie's kids wasnt as perfect as all the rest, not saying Seth isnt perfect but it was a new challenge to write, especially since im currently working with an autistic child and it both fascinates me and is teaching me so much. Thank you for the encouragement, i hope ill be back to normal soon.

      Delete
  4. I hope you come back with something new soon, even if it's just a small extra/short. I also hope you are well, and enjoying your summer. (Ps, it's Savannah from the first comment, just changed the name)

    ReplyDelete