Monday 30 July 2018

Diamond Legacies: Part 4

Part 4



Micah

I manged to put the thought of war and witches out of my head for the next day. I played piano a lot and I was playing it when Ivana finally returned home after her long shift.

“Hey,” I smiled at her from my place at the piano. We had quite an open plan house. The piano had view directly of the front door and stairs to upstairs.

“Hey,” she said and made her way over to me. She looked exhausted. I moved on the bench for her to sit down next to me. Her head fell on my shoulder with a sigh.

“Long shift?” I asked her continuing to play.

“You have no idea. I’m worried about my mother,” she said watching my hands move over the keys. She curled into my side, her arms hugging one of mine. This was normal for us, we were very close in most situations but with everything going on, every part of me just wanted to turn and hug her and kiss her and tell her everything would be okay. The urge to protect her was overwhelming, and pretty much an entirely new sensation for me.

“You know everything will be fine right?” I asked her.

“The only thing that has ever come close to defeating my mother was Lilim. She managed to break her and force her loyalty. What if something like that happens again?” she asked. I smiled to myself. A day ago, it was her reassuring me and now it was my turn. This was just how we worked.

“What happened to you being confident everything would be okay? You’re suppose to be the one supporting me not the other way around,” I chuckled. Panic from her words rising in my chest.

“I’m sorry. I know. Everything will be fine,” she sighed her hand moving down my arm and resting over my hand as I played. She used to do this because she enjoyed the feeling of playing the piano without actually playing it herself. She never learnt like I did. She just used to watch me. The most she ever played was nursery rhymes as a child.

“We’re a great pair, aren’t we?” I laughed. She didn’t return my laugh like she normally would.

“This is new to us. Both of us. We’ve never seen a threat like this to the family. My sisters are scared. I’ve never seen them scared before. They kept everything from me for three days! They’ve only just explained everything now when I finished work. They said they didn’t want to worry me at the hospital but I think it’s worse. Now I don’t have the distraction and I have time to worry. Lidiya fears for her Asta, and Anelie fears for Lidiya’s sanity. Holly and Avia fear for their descendants in England and I don’t even know what to think anymore.”

“My father assured me it would be okay. I trust and I believe in him. We don’t even know the full situation yet. Your mother and my siblings haven’t returned with news.”

“That we know of,” Ivana sighed. “I’m going to go to the Volturi tomorrow and find out everything I can.” I stopped playing and turned to kiss her forehead still on my shoulder. I wound my arm around her back and she hugged me closer to her.

“Our family survives everything,” I reminded her.

“I need sleep,” she mumbled changing the subject, her eyes closing as she leant against me. She was fighting to stay awake.

“Go to bed then,” I whispered dropping my arms from her waist.

“Night Mickey Mouse,” she sighed as she headed for the stairs.

“Night,” I called to her and went back to my piano. This time playing softer.

It couldn’t have been much more than an hour since Ivana returned home that the door opened again. Harvey Leon walked in and made his way up the stairs. I didn’t know when Ivana had given him a key to our house but this was the first time I’d seen him here. They tended to hook up at the hospital or in one of his secret apartments in the city. I turned back to my piano considering whether to go to the hospital early for my shift that didn’t start till tomorrow to give them the house to themselves. I didn’t want my perfect hearing to pick up everything they were doing in her room. My initial thought was to head to the Volturi or something but that was out of the question now. I knew the place would be buzzing with conversation and battle plans.

“Harvey stop it,” I heard Ivy complain from upstairs. She had just come in from a three-day shit. I gathered she wasn’t in the mood for whatever he was offering.

“I came all this way, I really need you right now!” I heard him answer her, his tone was threatening. I stood from the piano, ready to run up there and throw him out the second he went to hurt her.

“Harvey, I’m not in the mood. Get out of my house!” I heard her yell.

“Seriously? What’s wrong with you? You’ve never said no before!” he shouted back and I didn’t like his tone of voice.

“Harvey you’re at my house! I never gave you a key!” she shouted back.

“You dropped it the other day. I thought it was an invitation.”

“You’re joking right? Why would I ever invite you to my house to hook up?”

“I don’t know, because you like me?” he asked, his voice still angry but he was also in a little bit of disbelief at this point.

“Get out Harvey” she yelled. “I’m too tired.”

“When has that ever stopped you?”

“Harvey, I said no!” I heard her scream at him followed by a struggle. I didn’t hesitate as I headed up the stairs and towards Ivy’s room. The door swung open before I reached it. Harvey stormed out looking super pissed. I watched as he walked down the stairs and out the door. Slamming the front door behind him.

I entered her room to see she was curled up in her bed fully clothed. She was silently crying so I instinctively crawled in behind her. I did a quick check of her exposed skin but saw no marks. I knew he probably didn’t get a chance to touch her but my protective side just wanted to check. She wasn’t as durable as me. She sighed and turned to cuddle into my chest. I reached to wipe her tears off her cheeks and she took a deep breath in. I rarely saw Ivana cry, she was normally the strong one. After a few moments and when her breath returned to normal she decided to break the silence.

“Thank you,” she whispered. I kissed her hair line. “He can be such an asshole. Sometimes he’s really sweet and sometimes he’s just sex crazed,” she chuckled. Very quietly she added, “I wish more men were like you,” I smiled but she couldn’t see my face.

“Why do you need another one of me? You got me right here.” I joked.

“Yeah good point. I couldn’t deal with another one of you.” She said back. I saw her eyes were fighting to stay awake. Exhaustion was taking over her.

“Go to sleep Ivy. He won’t come back tonight, I promise,” I assured her and her eyes closed for the last time. I didn’t move for about an hour, right as I was about to leave her to sleep the buzz of her tablet went off calling her into the hospital for an emergency.

“No.” She groaned in her sleep, waking and turning her face into my chest. I tightened my arm still wrapped around her. “I’ve been there for the last three days,” she sighed sleepily.

“I’ll go.” I said shifting to reach for her tablet, checking who wanted her. It was the head of her department about one of her patients.

“I can deal with it. Sleep.” I ordered, kissing her forehead and leaving her bed.

“Thank you,” she said wistfully. As I left her room I could see she was already drifting back off to sleep.

I arrived at the hospital and went to the meeting place Ivana’s boss had messaged. Getting there I realised that it wasn’t her boss at all. It was Harvey Leon.

“What do you want?” I asked him closing the door behind me. It was close to my father’s office and I wondered if he was back at work. I knew he’d be listening at the sound of my voice if he was.

“Why are you here? I wanted to talk to Balev,” he said angrily.

“She’s asleep. She’s had a three day shift she deserves some rest,” I answered back but he sighed in frustration.

“I need to talk to her,” he said reaching for his phone.

“No chance,” I said reaching for his phone.

“Back off.” He threatened.

“Let her sleep!” I argued back. “You know she doesn’t want to talk to you or you wouldn’t have lied to get her here!” I felt anger in my chest and it was an entirely new sensation. I had seen anger in others but this was the first time I’ve experienced it myself. I was an extremely calm person in reality but when it came to Ivana I wanted to protect her with everything I had.

“Back off!” Harvey repeated, getting confrontational with me.

“She doesn’t need you screwing her around. She didn’t want to sleep with you, move on!” I almost yelled and that’s when the door swung open. My father stood there staring at me.

“Dr Cullen. My office. Now.” He said moving for me to leave. I knew better than to argue. He had heard it all anyway. I left and entered his office. Luckily, I could still hear.

“Dr Cullen-“ Harvey began to explain but Carlisle interrupted him.

“Dr Leon, I needn’t remind you of the rules in this hospital. It is against our policy to have relationships with your residents. I should remind you that Dr Balev is my family and would be protected in any form of law suit as a result of this indecency. I suggest you end it with my niece immediately and refrain from meeting her in private from now on. You are on probation until I decide otherwise.”

I heard Harveys pathetic apologies and promises to my father and it just made me more frustrated.

My father entered the room when my head was in my hands.

“What was that son?” he asked coming to sit next to me.

“I don’t-I don’t know,” I stammered, the anger in my chest still present. I wanted to stop him from taking advantage of her and my vision just went red. I wanted to protect her. I could still hear Ivana screaming the word ‘no’ at him in my head.

“I’ve never felt anger like that. I’ve never felt mad.” I tried to explain. My father knew this. I had inherited his calm nature and my mother’s selflessness. I didn’t have a violent bone in my body. It was genetically impossible. I couldn’t even hurt animals to feed, Ivana taught me how to put them to sleep before I drank from them. Never mind humans. I sighed leaning back on the sofa. “I’ve never felt real anger or violence. I was ready to crush his phone and fight him to make sure he stayed away from her,” I explained looking at my father helplessly.

“Perhaps the reason you are feeling so out of character is because you felt the need to protect Ivana.” He said softly trying to rationalise the situation for me, only he was telling me what I already knew.

“Of course, I wanted to protect her.”

“And maybe that is because you have some feelings you haven’t shared?” he asked. I sighed.

Here we go again.

It wasn’t something I hadn’t heard from my family before. My father tended to go along with my mother’s teasing but I had never heard the words from him directly. A lot of our family await the wedding invitation daily. My mother mentions it at least once a month. They just didn’t understand the complexity of my relationship with her.

“Dad, I’ve had feelings for Ivana since we were children. It doesn’t mean I’ll ever act on them. Its too complicated. She’s my best friend,” I decided to clarify. It was the first time I had ever admitted out-loud that I felt anything more for Ivana than friendship.

“Sunshine, I’ve lived a very long time. I’ve seen relationships come and go. I’ve seen the best and worst of love. I’ve seen true soul mates and I’ve seen people that are toxic and incompatible. I know my fair share of couples. Not just from our family but from the hundreds of hospitals I’ve worked in too, I’ve seen families and people go through the worst and the best of life. And do you know what?” he asked sitting by me and reaching for my hand. I let him take it.

“What?” I asked.

“Some of the best start with friendship. I don’t know if I believe in fate but I know that something put you and Ivana together. Whether it’s just for a friendship or you’re destined for more, I don’t know but that’s something you both have to work out. You know Ivana loves you. You see her soul, you see her feelings for you. You must do,” he said in his usual supportive voice. I had never told anyone out loud but I suppose when your father is Carlisle Cullen there isn’t much that gets past him. I’ve known Ivana has been in love with me for a long time. Perhaps that’s why I’ve never wanted to talk about it, because she hasn’t.

“I know you find it hard with your ability but I know it must be painful for you to watch her with others. To try and replace you each time. She can’t replace you Micah, she can’t be happy or find someone she wants to be with because that person is you and you just need to finally admit that to yourself.”

“Okay,” I whispered and squeezed his hand. Perhaps I’d talk to Ivy about this and let her know that I knew. I’d always put it off because I hated the intrusion of my ability, especially when it came to Ivana. I hated that it was all one sided. That I could see her as clear as day and yet she couldn’t see me, not in the same way, and I certainly couldn’t see my soul either. I worried that one day we’d both meet someone and they’d match Ivana perfectly and she’d want to be with them more than me. That what we’ve been doing for the past fifteen years was all just a close friendship. That she had a soul mate out there that wasn’t me.

“Now go home and tell Ivana how you feel before I do it for you,” he chuckled standing from the sofa. I smiled at him and headed to leave. I wasn’t going to say it the way he imagined but I would talk to her at least. Let her know how things were for me and tell her how she was changing everything I ever was. I would let her make the move, I’d let her decide on what she wanted with this.

As I returned home Ivy was still asleep. I climbed back into her bed and watched her sleep for a while. Just overthinking what my father had said to me and the emotions I had experienced in the past hour. At some time, I decided I would sleep and when I woke I was wrapped around her. My arms like a vice, keeping her near me. Normally it wouldn’t have bothered me, we’d fallen asleep together many times from just talking or hanging out but suddenly I felt nervous as she smiled up at me.

“It's about time. I couldn’t get out of your arms,” she laughed trying to climb out of the bed. I pulled my arms back quick, freeing her from my prison. She didn’t seem bothered by it as she climbed out and started to strip from her pyjamas. We’d changed plenty of times around each other, heck we shared a house together there’s been plenty of accidental sightings but it’s never even phased us. With both of us being doctors, it’s just a body, we’d both seen plenty of naked ones in the hospital but this was different. I had to look away as she pulled on her lounge clothes right next to me.

“What was the surgery? What did I miss? Was Jen mad?” she asked. I turned to look at her and shook my head.

“There was no surgery. It was Harvey.”

“What?” she asked mortified.

“He wanted to talk to you. Obviously when I turned up he wasn’t happy but Carlisle has put him on probation for getting involved with a resident.” I explained and her face dropped.

“Shit. I have to fix it.” She said hurrying.

“Ivy.” I said with a frown.

“It’s my fault. I shouldn’t have kicked him out last night.”

“Ivy… he’s a grown man. He can make his own decisions and it’s his fault for yelling and threatening me in the lab next to the chief’s office. Carlisle could have heard it even as a human. He’s the one that fucked himself over, not you,” I tried to explain. “Carlisle will protect you. You won’t lose your job because of this.”

“Do you think I care about my job?” she asked pausing to glare at me. “I have as much of an endless trust fund as you do! I don’t need money, I don’t need to be here, I can get a job anywhere, I’m here for you and to pass the time! I’m not here because I have to be. Harvey has a family, this is his life. He worked his ass off to get this job. He wasn’t willing to throw it away for me, he sure as hell wasn’t willing to lose it!” She yelled. I was shocked. I wasn’t expecting her to defend him.

“Ivana. He doesn’t deserve your protection,” I argued.

“Since when do you decide who does and doesn’t deserve protection? You told me he was okay. Yes, he wasn’t the greatest guy but he doesn’t have a violent bone in his soul. You told me that. He’s a good man Micah. Just because he got involved with me doesn’t mean he doesn’t love his family. He doesn’t deserve this. I told him I wouldn’t tell anyone and you turn up instead of me and threaten his job? I’m not that person.” She explained and headed for the door.

“Ivana…” I said blocking her way out.

“Move. Now,” she glared at me.

“Ivy,” I frowned. I had never seen her angry at me before. This was a first. I was starting to think maybe my dad was wrong. I thought it was physically impossible for us to ever get mad at each other. It had never happened before. If I had never seen this side of her maybe I didn’t know her as well as I thought I did.

“I get you can’t understand relationships or people without inspecting their soul but let me live my life, let me judge people through my own experiences, let me make my own mistakes! Move!” She yelled. “Move or ill move the damn door!” she added when I didn’t move. I knew she wasn’t bluffing. I’d seen her create holes in things with her mind before, I had no doubt she’d create an extra door just to get by me. I sighed and took a step to the left. She didn’t look at my face as she reached for the handle and was gone. I stood there shocked for a moment. Had all that just happened?

End of Part 4

4 comments:

  1. How is Ivy not as durable as Micah? They're both moon pool vamps right? And shes her mother's daughter so?? I guess I'm missing something shouldn't they be the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's the 'child' of a moon pool vamp. She is durable but not quite as durable as Micah. Micah gets stronger as he ages too, where as Ivy stays the same. A strong human would have been able to hurt her if she was caught off guard. The 2nd generation moon pool children are a little bit less indestructible than the first. They still have beating hearts and sleep , they're more like hybrids than vampires.

      Delete
    2. Are her sisters like her too? Maybe i should know this stuff but it's been awhile since I've read ur stories, this makes me want to go back and re-read them!I kerit thinking she was a moon-pool not a hybrid. Its hard to think becuz Esther's her mother that she's not strong as could be. But she still fast she's all that right? Like a hybrid I mean? Nessie as a child in the books jumped 15ft straight up and you kept her like that right? Sorry I'm sure we've talked about this before but I can't remember anymore!! Is always neat that I can ask the author questions, kinda like how fangirls feel when they got to ask Stephanie Meyers questions except I'm not a chic:)

      Delete
    3. Haha nah honestly sometimes i have to check things myself when im writing. its a lot to remember, i think about the hundreds of thousands of words ive written for these stories and its still crazy to me that ive written that much and people have read it! Yes, Lidiya, Anelie and Ivana are all the same. They are still fast and would be faster than say Renesmee, but they are a little bit more 'human' than their parents. Esther's daughters ARE special in the fact they are always born far more gifted than any other creature would be, but they arent any faster or stronger than Holly or Avia who are both the same species as them. I would say theyre a little bit stronger/faster than hybrids, but not much.

      Delete