Thursday 4 March 2021

Supernova - Chapter 1: Something is coming

Okay so a little explanation as to why im posting this and not Diamond Legacies 2. This started as a prequel extra to Diamond Legacies but i got far too invested and emotionally tied to the story that i decided I'd make it into a short story instead. Its already 20k+ words into it and i figured if i post this first it would help a little with the understanding of the events in Diamond Legacies.

This story is of Mia Cullen (the tribrid granddaughter of Renesmee) and what her purpose in life is and maybe an imprint ;) I always planned Mia's existence to be more than just 'the only tribrid' and i was going to do a call back to these events in Diamond Legacies, like how i initially wrote Allesandra's story in Living in Paradise but decided i wanted to do it properly. So here it is. The story i never knew i was going to write, but those are always the best kind :D

Here is Mia's wikia page (spoiler free, for now) if you want to read it to catch up. It might also be a good idea to reread  'Hidden' and 'Safe Haven'. She also appears in Naarah but that will only give you insight into her clash with Ivana.

 

 Amirah Cullen
2220, La Push


The waves crashing on the rocks filled my mind. I was on a blanket, my aunt Emalie was a few feet away as we lay, books in our hands and the sun on our faces. My mind had drifted from the story I was reading to the sound of the waves eroding the cliffs of La Push. It was Sunday. Every Sunday without fail I spent it with my aunt. Occasionally we’d go shopping or to the theatre or do something the two of us, most of the time we just read in each other’s company. We’d pick a place to picnic and spend the afternoon reading a book. We’d have two copies of the same book so we could talk about what we were reading, and I loved it. Emalie was a famous writer now. Books were her life, if she wasn’t reading, she was writing her epic fantasy novels. I had been on this earth for over fifty years now, but I still felt sixteen when I was with my aunt. Emalie was just my favourite person in the world to be around. Well, her and my best friends. Axton and Alena had been my world for so long. As a child I was always with them or with my aunt Emalie.

The first twenty years of my life had been to learn. The next twenty I had got to experience what I had been taught and put it into practice. The last ten years had been the best of my life. I got to use my powers for good, I got to be normal most of the time and the past few months I had got to take over my mother’s mantle as alpha. I loved my wolves. They had been my protectors all my life, my confidants, my friends… my brothers. My mother had been alpha for fifty years. She had arguably been the best alpha the Quileute’s had ever had. She had reenergised the pack and brought so much to being a wolf. She had given them jobs and paid them for it. She had treated them as family and trusted them to protect her daughter. Me.

Wolves had been around me from the day I was born, I developed friendships with all of them, most of them were my brothers since my parents had never actually given me siblings. A few of them I had messed around with as friends and dated a select few that I had never bonded familiarly with. Now they were my wolves. My mother expressed the option to me at the start of the summer. She said that since I was now more than capable of taking care of myself and the wolves had an undying loyalty to me rather than her, that I should be the one to lead them. At first, I was shocked. I had never thought I would ever become an alpha but then I suppose it was natural for the mantle to be passed as it had done for generations through the Black family. The wolves were more than happy for me to become their alpha, and so I did. My mother got to spend more time with my dad and live a new life and visit her siblings and friends around the world, knowing I, her miracle one of a kind daughter, was safe and protected by an army she helped train. The wolves had a scary amount of devotion to me. Even before I came alpha. I never really understood why but there was something about my connection to them that made our pack unique. I had spent a few years under the wing of my brother Zac and his wife Leah in their giant pack called ‘The Guild’ and had seen the devotion those wolves had to their joint alphas, but I couldn’t help but feel like my connection to my wolves was different. It was more than just loyalty.

The waves had distracted me from the book, and I caught myself staring into the sun above me.

“Mia, stop looking at the sun, it’s bad for you.” Emalie said noticing I had stopped reading.

“Maybe to a human, but its fine for me,” I said staring at the burning ball of gas in the sky.

“It doesn’t hurt your eyes?” She asked.

“No,” I mumbled watching the flares dance off the surface of the sun.

“It’s just a white ball,” she said confused as to what I was watching.

“To your eyes maybe. I can see it dancing. The radiation is dancing around the magnetic fields. The plasma is jumping to escape but getting pulled right back in.” I said realising my voice was distant as I imagined myself floating in space. Space had always fascinated me, ever since my aunt started teaching me it. I had seen the commercials on tv, holidays to Mars at extortionate prices and it had fascinated me that you could send human beings through a void to another planet.

“Mia,” my aunt said, her voice this time was a little more urgent. “Mia!” The sudden panic in her voice shocked me and suddenly I fell.

I had been floating, just a little bit, above the ground.

“You were floating,” she said in awe.

“Was I?” I asked feeling awkward as I sat up.

“Did you know you were doing that?” She asked. I eyed her carefully. I used to lie, for years when I did something out of my control. There had been such a precedent on me for learning to control everything I did, I used to think I’d get in trouble if I did something without meaning to. But this was my aunt Emalie. She always knew when I was lying.

“No.”

“It was only a few inches, but you were definitely floating,” she murmured. “Maybe you should mention it to Axton,” she said nonchalantly as she returned to her book. “And stop looking at the sun.” She said without looking at me.

“I will,” I said in response to both statements and lay back again staring back at the pages before me.

Time was a hard thing to grasp as the decade’s past. I remembered as a child my immortal family would tell me stories about what it was like as an immortal and I could never quite understand why they couldn’t notice time passing. I was growing every day, I was experiencing new things, even forty years into my life I could feel time passing but it had significantly slowed the past decade or so. The only thing that reminded me of the changing world would be seeing the children in La Push grow up, seeing my wolves age after they stop phasing, seeing their children become my protectors and brothers. Everything else around me was ageless, my family, myself, my immortal best friends.

I knew it was late when the sun had gone behind the horizon and our snacks had ran out.

“I can’t see my book anymore,” Emalie said sitting up with a stretch. “Time to go home I guess,” she said looking over to me. I closed my book and turned to stand.

“Another Sunday gone.” I mused as I helped her collect our things. She hooked her arm in mine as we climbed down the cliff edge.

“Do you think you’ll ever get bored of spending your Sundays with your old auntie?” She asked me as we reached her ancient car.

“Never.” I said with every ounce of truth. She smiled at me, the same smile my mother had and reached to kiss me as she climbed into her car. I loaded it with the blanket and the bag that held our snacks.

“See you next week sweetie,” she said through the window. I smiled as I waved at her and I blew her a kiss as she drove off down the dirt path to her home. I watched for a moment before I pulled my cotton dress over my head and tied it to the elastic around my wrist. I phased into my pure white wolf form and took running into the trees.

Evening Princess. Elliot chimed into my head. He was my beta and my oldest friend that wasn’t my family or the immortal twins. He was the last remaining wolf from my mother’s pack. He had never imprinted and never found someone to settle with. Most wolves will stop phasing in their thirties, whether they find a partner or not. But occasionally one stays, I knew Elliot loved me, not just in a brotherly way, but there was also a mutual understanding that what we once had was a long time ago and we weren’t each other’s imprint. We both just knew all we were destined for was a friendship. The same way Axton and I were, but that was a hell of a lot more complicated than Elliot and I. Elliot had been the first wolf to call me princess, so many years ago. Even as their alpha, the wolves kept the name for me. I had grown used to it, and honestly, hearing any of them say my real name was quite off-putting now.

I saw your family leave in a rush this afternoon. I hope everything is okay. He mentioned.

In a rush? I asked a little confused, he showed me the memory he saw of my grandparents concerned faces as they left my grandmother’s house. My grandmother was currently having her siblings stay for the summer. Including the Volturi Cullen’s. Zio and Chantelle had spent the last few months in La Push. The longest I’d seen them here.

It looks like they all returned to Chicago, the king and his wife too. He said seeing Zio and Chantelle leave a few hours after.

Why would they go without saying goodbye? I wondered, Edward and Bella were my great-grandparents. They were one of the first to know of my existence. They wouldn’t leave without saying bye.

I’m not sure boss, I just thought I’d let you know. He said as I reached my grandmother’s house.

Thanks El. I said as I phased back, pulling the long cotton black dress over my head. It was one of my favourites. If I weren’t wearing my shorts and a tank top, I would wear these dresses. They were long, almost to the floor and had slits up each side to my thigh. It was often quicker than pulling on a two piece. Since becoming alpha it was far easier.

“Hello?” I called into the giant house that was eerily quiet.

“Oh, hello darling,” Nessie greeted me, entering the grand hallway after she heard me arrive.

“Where are Edward and Bella?” I asked.

“They went to Chicago.” She said sadly.

“They didn’t say bye?” I asked feeling a little hurt, was it an emergency?

“They didn’t mean to leave in such a rush, Clara needed them,” she said but something wasn’t right about her tone.

“Is she okay?” I asked panic rising in my voice. Clara was Axton’s best friend. Both he and Alena were close to her. Hell, even I liked her. When I had finally met her, she seemed exactly the opposite of what I had thought, what picture I had painted as a jealous teenager.

“Her husband is dying. She just needs her family,” she said softly. My gut felt like it was being ripped from my body. I knew this day was coming but I didn’t quite know how I would react.

“Axton,” I said in a whisper. He had become friends with Clara’s husband over the years. Even though at the start he would frustrate him, as Elijah aged and their teenage hostilities faded, Axton would spend time with him and more importantly Axton would be in pain because Clara was in pain. “I have to go grandma. Thanks for letting me know,” I said reaching to kiss her cheek.

“Mia, are you okay?” She asked catching my hand.

“I am, I promise.” I said with surety and gave her a smile as I headed back out of the house. I didn’t phase back into my wolf form; I just used my vamp speed to run home. To the home I shared with Axton.

“Ax?” I called into the house, but it was pointless, I knew he wasn’t here. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and rang Alena.

“Hey.” She answered on the second ring.

“Where is he?” I asked her.

“He’s just… he’s with me. We’re not going to see her yet; we think we should wait a few days,” she said.

“Is he coming home?” I asked and suddenly for the first time in forty years I felt the weight of these words.

“I am my love. I just need to mourn my friend,” I heard him say, taking the phone from his sister. “I am coming home to you. Don’t doubt that for a second,” he said knowing my fears had suddenly hit me at the news that Clara Cullen would be single very soon. I knew deep down it was a petty thought, and I knew nothing would change because of it but my mind was still that of a teenager, an older experienced teenager, but the thought processes were still the same despite my emotional growth. I just had a momentary lapse of panic, that he would stay with her now until she had finished grieving. That she was more important to him than I was.

“Okay I’ll see you soon. I’m sorry for the loss of your friend,” I said softly. I meant it and I knew he’d know that.

“I’ll be home in a few days.” He said and paused. “I love you”.

“I love you too,” I responded and hung up. I held the phone between my hands staring at nothing in front of me as I collapsed onto the couch in our living room.

The days past achingly slow. Axton and I weren’t inseparable but this was harder than our separations before. In fact, we both tried to spend time way from each other to train ourselves. There would be a day when we wouldn’t wake up to each other, when we wouldn’t be the others entire world, when all we would see of each other was if we had to deal with official business at the Volturi or meeting up as friends. Forty years had been a human lifetime but to us it was a blink in our existence and although I loved that man with every part of my body, I wasn’t his. Not forever. We had made it work, amazingly. Forty years of being together had been everything I ever wanted but the days were ticking and one day I’d imprint on someone and it wouldn’t be him.

I wasn’t sure why imprinting existed, but I was fairly sure it was a curse. Even seeing my family so happy with their imprints, I often wondered if they realise their choice had been taken away from them.

I had long accepted what Axton and I had wouldn’t be forever. I learnt to be grateful for his friendship with Clara a few decades into our relationship. I knew he wouldn’t leave me for her, not until I had imprinted but now Elijah was dead, even if Clara wasn’t ready for anyone else for another few years, it was another obstacle being thrown in the complicated works of mine and Axton’s relationship.

End of the day, I didn’t often complain. I was grateful I had found someone to spend years with and still understood it couldn’t be forever. Axton would still be my friend, in hundreds of years no matter who our partners will be at that point. He was simply part of me. He and his sister were too integral to my life, my control, my power.

“Mia,” he said my name like a prayer of relief. It had been a few days since I had seen him now and I turned in our kitchen to see him at the doorway. His face lit up as I turned to look at him. He strode over to me and his arms wrapped around me.

“It’s only been a few days,” I laughed but he held me tighter. He always smelt different when he had been in Chicago. He pulled away from me to kiss me. It wasn’t lustful but it wasn’t meaningless either. It was just relief.

“I missed you,” he said, and I knew he meant it. I softened; I watched his face as his eyes danced across mine.

“I’m not going anywhere,” I said softly. It was funny, I didn’t have my grandfather’s telepathy, but I definitely knew what people were thinking. It was like a sense I had. I didn’t know their direct thoughts, but I could feel what was bothering them or what made them excited in a moment.

Axton was memorising me, like I was about to die. He had been surrounded by grief for days, seen his best friend cry for her other half most likely. He was grateful I was alive standing right before him.

He smiled and kissed me again, this time lifting me onto the countertop so he could kiss me deeper.

“Axton,” I whispered parting us softly.

“Hmm?” He asked, his face was content, his arms were resting around me naturally as they had for so many years.

“Maybe this is the sign,” I said before I even knew what I was saying. Was I doing this? Was I going to break his heart a few days after his best friend had hers broken?

“What?” He asked. He was smarter than that. He knew what I meant he just couldn’t believe I was saying it.

“Clara is going to need you. More than ever. I have the pack; I have my alpha duties. I have a distraction. I will be okay. I promise.” I said reaching my hand to his jaw line. His head shook in disbelief.

“No,” he said and stepped back from me. “No, this isn’t a conversation we are having.” He said and turned to see the food I had been cooking. “What’s for dinner?” He asked completely changing the subject. Tears were welling in my eyes now as I jumped down from the counter.

“Ax,” I said my voice breaking.

“Pasta? My favourite,” he said ignoring the emotion coming from me. I reached for him before he could disturb the pasta I was cooking. “No,” he said as he turned to look at me. This ‘no’ was angry. His eyes were furious as he glared at me, they were glossy with tears.

“No,” he said with certainty. His emotion shook me. We stared at each other; our eyes locked for several moments.

“Okay,” I said instantly. I would wait but it was tugging on my mind more than ever before. As I stared into the sun on the cliffs of La Push a few days ago I had felt like I was floating away from my life. Away from the normal that I knew. Away from Axton and the world. Something new was happening to me, my life was changing I could feel it and I didn’t want Axton getting hurt twice in his lifetime. Once would be enough. Perhaps if I let him go before I imprinted, he wouldn’t feel the pain as strongly. Perhaps if I let him go when Clara needed him the most, they would find their way to each other. They could be happy, bond over their broken hearts maybe.

But it wasn’t the time. I could see it on his face. He couldn’t handle it, not yet. I might be ready to rip my heart out of my own chest for the sake of his future happiness, but he wasn’t ready to let me go yet, so I would stay and be here for him. For now.

I dropped the subject and we both wiped away our tears and I carried on cooking our dinner. We ate and fell back into our normal routine.

I lay in our bed, his head resting on my shoulder blade as he slept peacefully curled into my side and I stared out at the dark sky through our bedroom window. We hadn’t closed the curtains before retiring for the night, it had been a long few day and we had just wanted to be together. With the emotions still high from our almost conversation we had lost ourselves in each other more intensely than we ever had before. As if we were making the most of every last second we had whilst we could still be with each other like that. Whilst we could still bear our souls, bodies and hearts to each other without anyone else between us. He had fallen asleep after a few hours, but I stared at the stars, they danced in the dark and the full moon shone brighter than I felt it ever had before. Staring at me. I felt like it was trying to tell me something, just as the sun had a few days before. It was telling me something was coming.

2 comments:

  1. It's so cool to see a new fic from you! I always wondered if Mia would ever imprint or if she and Axton were destined to be together forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for still even checking my blog haha <3 I always wanted to tell the story and i have first 6 chapters completely ready to go so i thought id throw it out there for anyone still reading :D

      Delete