Tuesday 30 March 2021

Supernova - Chapter 8: It begins with Esther.

Amirah Cullen

 

Being with Ignacio was as easy as breathing. I thought entering that apartment that it would start off awkward or weird. He knew so much about me and me so little about him, I expected to be freaked out by him but strangely enough it just felt normal.

He was in the only two bedroomed guest apartment at the Volturi so when we spoke late into the night, I often stayed in the 2nd room rather than heading back to Alena’s. I knew Axton wouldn’t be there, but I wanted to give him as much space as possible until he was ready to face me. I missed Axton so much sometimes I wasn’t sure I could breathe anymore. I would call Alena just to feel like I was somewhat close to him and she’d come hang out with me and Ignacio, but I never once called Axton. I knew he wouldn’t hesitate to be at my side if I asked but I wanted it to be on his terms not from my own selfishness.

Ignacio… well he was rather unique. I suppose I wasn’t sure what I expected. He knew a bit about American culture, but certain things were completely foreign to him. It was rather amusing.

“This is a light switch you know. It turns on the lights,” I said when I arrived at his apartment three days after the imprint. It was dark inside.

“I don’t need light I can see just fine.”

“Touché,” I mumbled as I came to sit on his couch. The last few days had been a lot of meetings with the Volturi. Vicente was especially helpful now that his master was here to give him permission to speak. I found that very strange, especially because Ignacio wasn’t actually a true alpha. They didn’t have one technically. They had been waiting decades for me to come be their alpha. It was strange how the bear pack watched me, like they were seeing the sun for the first time. I had only seen the whole pack once, a day after the imprint Ignacio took me to meet them properly. It was strange to say the least. I had been interested to find out that their pack didn’t know what an imprint was the fact Ignacio, and I were bonded by destiny made them idolise us. It made me slightly uncomfortable, but I hoped when we did merge the packs that they would spend more time with my wolves and be less weird about the whole destiny thing.

“Can I ask you something?” I said watching Ignacio move around the room almost in a blur. His powers were interesting. He was technically part shapeshifter, part demon, or so he’d been told. That was why he had a connection to the pack, but the demon part of him stopped him being able to be a bear with the others.

“Anything,” he said as he moved.

“You told Esther you were a creation of the sun. But then you said you were part demon,” I wondered, and he paused what he was doing to turn to look at me, he leant back on the cabinet behind him. I hadn’t really asked him what he was up to this point. It didn’t really matter to me personally. He was my imprint. Who or what he was no longer mattered or scared me. But I knew Zio hadn’t really been able to get a straight answer about his history, so I thought I’d ask about it.

“As far as I understand it, I was created as a barrier between demons and humankind. I was created to protect humans as she was created to protect the supernatural. She was made of the moon; I was made of the sun. Both celestial bodies have magical powers, differing in their abilities. Moon magic enhances supernaturals. The sun enhances humans. It is the reason they are alive. Humanity wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for the sun. The shapeshifter part of me brings me into your world, although only just, as I have no real traits of the bears,” he explained with a small frown.

“So why the demon part of you?” I asked.

“Because there needed to be a part of what we were going up against. So, I could understand it enough to fight it I’ve been told.” He said with a shrug.

“And what about me? I’m not created by the sun or moon”.

“No, but you are unique. You are created by the supernatural if you merge with me, who has the protection of the sun, we can protect others.”

“Merge?” I asked awkwardly.

“Unify. Whatever you want to call it. The translation is hazy,” He said turning back to his tidying.

“So, you say you don’t share traits with your pack but you can alpha order them,” I said wondering if he knew what this even was.

“I’m not sure what that means,” he responded and came to sat on the other side of the small couch.

“I’m the leader of my pack, what I say goes. If a wolf fails to follow an order, I can make him do it instead. I don’t like using it often because it removes their free will.” I explained and he frowned as he thought of something.

“If I do such a thing, I do not do it intentionally,” he explained. “I took the role of alpha temporarily until we could meet you. Everyone knows you’re their true alpha. I am not even a bear,” he said.

“Neither am I,” I said raising my eyebrow at him.

“But you’re called shapeshifters for a reason.” He suggested.

“When we unify, and they become my pack. Will they still be bears or will they become wolves? Or will I become a bear?” I asked the last question with a little bit of horror in my voice.

“The bears are a form my ancestors chose because of where we lived. Being so far south and in the cold, the bears could easily hunt fish in the ocean and return it to the village. I imagine your ancestor choses wolves because of your surroundings too. Who knows what form is best in a fight, perhaps they’ll get to choose.” He smiled. “But all my dreams and the seer’s visions are of you as the white wolf so I don’t think you have anything to worry about.”

“How long have you been preparing for this war?” I asked carefully. I was sure I knew the answer, but I wanted to hear it anyway.

“My entire life. I’ve known since I was old enough to talk what my purpose would be. The prophecies were often told in my village. They knew they were doing something good.”

“So, you never got to be a kid? To be normal?” I asked sadly. I knew I never exactly had a normal childhood but at least I got to be a kid when I was little.

“I'll never be normal,” he responded with a shrug.

“But I see it sometimes, sometimes you don’t look as…. dark,” I said unsure how to word it. He turned to look at me and nodded.

“I try sometimes to shift into a more human form, but its hard for me to maintain the power. It’s told when we unify and I get some of your power i'll be able to do it more often. I’ll use it when we’re around others, especially those that don’t know me. So, they don’t fear me. I hope.” He seemed, thoughtful as if he was tired of being feared.

“You’ll look human?” I asked, it’s not like I had any issues with how he looked now but if it made him feel better, I was happy for him.

“Yes,” he said and closed his eyes. He shifted just for a moment and the darkness in his eyes and on his lips were gone. He was just… human. It only lasted a moment and it faded. “I just want to be normal, or at least look normal. So, people aren’t so scared of me all the time.”

This kind of broke my heart.

“Here, I have an idea,” I said and held out my hand to him he looked at me for a moment before he took it. It was the first time we had actually touched in three days. I focused on the feeling of him and tried to push my magic into him, the way I did with the twins. I was sure both Axton and Alena would disaprove of this magic sharing with a demon but I didnt care. I trusted him. My gut was telling me to help him. That we were supposed to support each other. I wanted to do this for him. He gasped for a moment.

“What’s that?” He asked.

“Try again,” I said with a smile and he didn’t question me. He closed his eyes and focused on his form. Moments later he was the human man again. I let go of his hand and the illusion stayed.

“I’m… I still look human,” he said looking down at his fingertips that were a light shade of pink.

“Yep, you do,” I smiled wider at his awe. He turned to smile back at me with pure delight.

“Thank you,” he said with true appreciation.

“It will only last a few hours, but I can always give you another boost,” I said glad to see him so happy.

“Thank you, Mia,” he said again sincerely.

“You’re welcome, but I hope you know you don't need to hide from me,” I said with a strange feeling in my gut. Our eyes had locked, and I felt like he was staring into my soul. Nothing had changed when I imprinted, apart from the need to be around him. I had no feelings for him past an immediate friendship, I definitely didn’t feel like his sister but there was no romantic love there either. The imprint was what ever the imprintee needed. Ignacio needed a partner in a battle, that’s all he had been conditioned for his whole life. There was no room for romance or love past friendship in this relationship. And honestly. I was completely okay with that. It meant even though I wouldn’t act on my love for Axton, it was still there. The imprint hadn’t completely rewritten my heart and I was grateful. Ignacio didn’t need a girlfriend or a wife, at least not in this very moment, he needed someone that would fight by his side and would risk everything to keep him safe in a war that was to come. And that would be me. We were a complicated pairing, but I was okay with that. I knew I could trust him, and he could trust me. We would be partners and lead whatever cavalry we had into a war only we could win together. Knowing I had him by my side made that whole idea a lot less daunting than it did before.

The sound of the guest doors opening on the floor below us distracted me as I stared into Ignacio’s illusion of human brown eyes.

“It didn’t take you long did it?” I heard Elliot ask who ever just entered the guest area of the Volturi. “You know she didn’t have a choice. Are you seriously going to turn up on her doorstep with her replacement?” He was spiteful and toxic.

“Elliot. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t important,” I heard Axton’s voice and my whole heart leapt in my chest.

“Are you okay?” Ignacio asked me, drawing my attention from the conversation downstairs. I smiled at him and stood heading to the door.

“I'll be one minute,” I said to him and left the apartment. Just as I reached the top of the stairs Elliot and Axton were face to face. Only Elliot was a foot taller than Axton. It was amusing actually. Axton had more power in his pinkie finger than Elliot could ever dream of having.

“Back off Elliot before I make you move,” his tone was threatening, and it sent a shiver down my spine. I saw Clara at his side as she watched the two men. She wasn’t impressed either.

“El, go take a walk,” I called as I walked down the stairs. He didn’t move a muscle. “Elliot,” I hissed angrily that he dare defy my order.

“Why is he even here?” He asked between clenched teeth. He was shaking on the verge of a phase.

“El. Leave. Now.” I ordered him and his stance relaxed immediately. He didn’t take his eyes off of Axton as he walked past him and out the double doors to the guest gardens. I was left face to face with Axton and Clara. She had her hand on his forearm as if to try stop him exploding onto Elliot.

That wouldn’t have helped. I knew myself, but she had a lot to learn about him yet. Normally I would have envied her, but I felt oddly at peace that he had her.

“Can I help?” I asked looking up to Axton. His eyes met with mine and it took everything, and I mean everything, in me not to run to hug him. To have him hold me as he had for so many years, through so many emotions. I missed him terribly and it ached like my heart had been removed from my chest. He watched me for a moment as if he were catching his breath.

“We should go inside and talk,” he said finally clearing his voice. I looked to Clara behind him and then back at Axton.

“I’m okay, you know. A day a week a year. It doesn’t matter. If you’re happy-“ I said but he interrupted me.

“It's not about that I promise. You're still my-” He said but stopped himself. Was he going to say love? Girlfriend? I suppose we technically hadn't broken up. Not officially yet. We were just taking some space after a life altering event. I almost laughed outloud but I realised something was very wrong with Axton's demeanor. He nodded to the stairs for me to lead the way. I turned and let them follow me up to Ignacio’s apartment. I opened the door and Ignacio was sitting on the couch still in his new human form. I knew Clara was no stranger to supernaturals, but Ignacio scared even the most well-adjusted people. From what he had said before, I knew he wanted to use that form around those that had never met him. This was his test I suppose. He stood and came to meet us in the middle of the open plan apartment.

“Ignacio, this is Axton and Clara. Clara, Axton, this is Ignacio” I said gesturing between the three of them awkwardly.

“The guardian,” Ignacio smiled instantly at Axton.

“Yes,” I mumbled. Ignacio knew enough of Axton through his visions and dreams of me. We hadn’t really discussed the extent of how much he knew. I guess I'd probably find out after this conversation.

“You look different than from in the throne room” Axton commented, I noticed he had Clara slightly behind him behind one arm. I guess when you bring a human into a room with a possible demon, you’re bound to be protective. Axton hadn’t been around to hear how Ignacio and his people had been cooperating, how Ignacio wasn’t what he seemed.

“Mia taught me how to be less frightening to others,” he said proudly looking at me and back to Axton.

“Of course, she did,” Axton said with a small smirk.

“I’m sure you didn’t come just for pleasantries.” I said wanting this weird conversation between my imprint and my boyfriend – or was he now my ex? - to be over. “What’s wrong?” I asked. I knew he’d only be here if something was wrong. We’d agreed at least for a while.

“Please sit,” Ignacio offered them the end of the small table. Each side had 2 chairs on it. Axton positioned Clara on the side I sat down, and he put himself closer to Ignacio. I smiled slightly at his instincts.

“You’re grieving,” Ignacio said looking to Clara, but Axton didn’t like that.

“It's none of your business,” he said. “Why would you know that?” he added after a moment of curiosity.

“I can feel weaknesses in people. The demon would latch onto an emotion as strong as hers. It's how possessions happen. You’re protected though, by something. Magic in your blood.” He said watching Clara who was doing very well to hide her panic, but I knew she was slightly scared of the man before her. I guess I'd have to get used to that. People being scared of my imprint. I turned to Axton to redirect the conversation.

“What’s going on?” I asked again and Axton sighed before he answered.

“I never told you this,” Axton began by looking at me and I frowned instantly. “But Clara has visions,” he continued, and my eyes immediately fell to Clara who hadn’t said a single word the entire time.

“I don’t really,” she interrupted him with a glare.  “I used to when I was a teenager. When Lilim was around.” She explained.

“And then they came back three nights ago,” Axton explained looking back at Ignacio. “When he arrived”.

“What does this mean?” I asked for clarification. “Ignacio has nothing to do with Lilim.” I wondered what they were going with here.

“As far as we know... What I’m saying is Clara had a dream the day he arrived. The day you imprinted. Then continued to have them every time she slept for the last few days. Each time something new was added to the vision, until it came a point where we had to come to tell the Volturi what she saw.” Axton explained.

“We wanted to tell you first,” Clara added looking to me. “You deserved to know before I told Esther about them.”

“They’re about me?” I asked her and she nodded in response. “And him and Esther,” she said looking to Ignacio.

“I wouldn’t have come but I will never not put you first,” Axton announced and my love for him surged.

“We have to go to Esther,” Clara said afterwards.

“I know, it’s okay,” I said with a nod but waited to hear the story.

“Okay, so I’ve never been someone else in my dream before. But in the visions, I’m you.” She said looking to me directly. I swallowed nervously but nodded for her to continue. “I don’t know what detail is important so I’m going to tell you everything I remember. Esther will get the full picture of the visions and she might be able to fill in things I’m missing. But I’m going to try my best” Clara began.

“I… I have an idea…” I said and looked to Axton hoping he already knew what I was going to do.

“Are you sure?” he asked.

“With her permission of course,” I said, and he nodded and turned to Clara.

“Mia can do something similar to Esther. She can see memories, but you have to lead her. You have to be the only to show her. She can’t pick them out like Esther can. You don’t have to though; we could just tell her and have Esther do the head dive anyway.” Axton explained but Clara turned to me.

“It’s a vision about you, you deserve to see it,” Clara said with a shrug.

I reached my hand to Axton and he took it. The flood of power hit me like a rock. I had been drinking a lot of blood the last few days to make sure I was at my full potential at all times, but holy shit did I forget what it felt like to have an immortal witches power on top of that.

“Be careful,” I heard Axton hiss as I closed my eyes for a moment at the power jump.

“I’m fine,” I mumbled dropping his hand and turning to Clara. “Give me your hands. Close your eyes and see the dream. I'll be there.” I explained and took her hands outstretched on the table.

I dove into her mind easier than I had anyone outside of my family. I wasn’t quite sure why, but I guess technically she was of my blood. Albeit distantly.*

I was in a luminescent forest. It reminded me of Olympia, but something was different. It was colder in the dream. Shadows were dancing around the trees as I walked through it. After a moment Ignacio came into view and I felt complete relief at the sight of him. The sound of a scream made me turn and run towards it. Ignacio in his shadow form was moving along side me, wolves were flanking me, following me as I ran. The forest began to blur around me as the scream became stronger and louder. As we ran I noticed my hands were coated in blood. My clothes were dark with it. I didnt have a moment to wonder why because we entered a clearing and I immediately stopped at the sight. It was Esther, shadows were pulling her at her limbs but not even demons could tear her indestructible body apart. But they could torture her that was for sure. On the floor were her three daughters, all of them not moving.

“Amirah,” Esther’s voice barely spoke. “Please,” she echoed the tears that fell from her eyes burnt the grass as they fell to the floor.

“You can stop this,” Ignacio’s voice came from my side, only it wasn’t his normal voice. It sounded like an echo, like someone else was talking through him.

“How?” I asked taking a step towards Esther in the middle of the clearing.

“Kill her, just as you did her daughters,” he coaxed me.

“No,” I gasped turning to see him still in his demon form, the red eyes burning into me.

“If they take control of her the world will end. There will be nothing left if Esther Josephson turns dark. You know this,” he explained. I turned back to Esther as she let out another scream. I wanted to save her, not kill her. I reached for her and as my palm touched her chest the dream immediately cut off and I fell back into the seat.

I stared at Clara for a moment as she stared at me. I wasn’t sure what I was feeling. Anger? Confusion? Disbelief? This wasn’t just a dream or a vision.

“What the hell was that?”

"It's subjective and doesnt always come true in the way that I dream it. My visions in the past have came true but they also warned me Axton was a bad guy when he turned out not to be. There's a lot to break down, it doesnt necessarily mean-" she began but I shook my head.

“You can’t show that to Esther,” I swallowed nervously.

“We have to.” Clara said looking at Ignacio across the table.

“Will you tell me what happened?” He asked me innocently.

“I need to ask you something and you need to tell me straight, right here and right now. The truth.” I said turning to him. I'd know, right? If he was lying. I was sure I’d know.

“I promise you.” He said as he watched the fear on my face.

“Do you plan on hurting Esther? Do the demons plan on turning her dark?” I asked bluntly.

“I don’t plan on hurting her, no, of course not. She is this worlds strongest protector,” he said, and I believed him.

“The second question. Answer the second question” Axton said tensely.

“It is believed they want her, yes. They always have. It is why even the darkest part of me is drawn to her. She is everything they want, everything they need to take over this plane of existence. They cannot take a foothold here without her.” He explained and my heart dropped.

“We knew they were her weakness. But are you saying this war is specifically over Esther?” Axton asked for clarification.

“No,” I mumbled realising now what he was saying. My heart was heavy in my chest. Zio had been asking the question for days. When will it start? What makes the demons come? What gives them the edge to take a foothold in our realm over their own? What is it that brings them across? Vicente didn’t know the answer, or the very least he wasn’t willing to give it up. But Ignacio just had. I swallowed and turned to Axton to answer his question.

“He’s saying it begins with Esther.”

 

 ________________________________

 

* In case you’re curious Mia and Clara are technically 1st cousins 4 times removed I thought it was interesting to work out.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this just got super interesting. I can't wait to see what happens in the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete