Friday 24 September 2021

Diamond Legacies Interlude: Axton


------------ ------------ ------------

Chicago, September 2226

------------ ------------ ------------

Axton Riley

------------ ------------ ------------

I wasn’t sure in my life that you could this happy and terrified at the same time.

I could feel her breathing, her foot was wrapped around my ankle, her hand on the side of my bare chest and her body pressed against the side of my own. She was still asleep as the sun blared into the curtains of her bedroom. We had forgotten to close them.

I had woken not to the light but to the dreams. The nightmares. I froze up, unable to move or scream or wake up when I was in them. Alena was having them too and I knew it was a side effect of the connection to Esther. She was alone, four stories under where I slept, bricked up, surrounded by a dozen barrier spells, impenetrable locks and steel walls. She was alone.

I turned to look at Clara, her hair was tied back into a braid, and she looked like she did when she was sixteen. We never took our first relationship this far, I never got to see her in the morning with the sun beaming onto her naked form, but I was suddenly transported back. Before all this, before I became who I was today. When all I lived for was my sister until I met the girl in the library drawing on her tablet, tucked away from anyone else. Her hair was shorter now, but she still looked exactly the same. Her immortality had held her well. I suppose I looked the same too. I just had never really thought about it. I felt like a completely different person. I looked back on that version of myself and only saw the mistakes I made, the stupidity and the recklessness and the betrayal. I had betrayed her then and the thought of it now ached in my heart like someone was crushing the organ in their fists. I knew I couldn’t regret my past, it got me to where I was today, but I still hated that version of me anyway. Loving Clara was nothing like id felt before. I knew love, I still loved Mia, I would always love Mia. But Clara, Clara was so different to Mia. I wasn’t quite sure how I could have loved two women that were so different. Mia was strong and fearless and feisty and stubborn and a whirlwind of emotions and a force to be reckoned with. Clara, Clara was calm. I felt safe with her, I knew she wasn’t about to jump out of a window as Mia did so many times over our years together. Clara was a tranquillity I never knew existed, she was patient and kind, she was soft and my temperature. I never noticed how hot Mia was to the touch until I touched Clara. I hated the thought of comparing them, they were so different, and I needed them both equally, even now, but it was so natural to wonder how I loved both so fiercely.

Alena knew why, shed told me countless times. She insisted Mia was my spark, the one that gave me purpose and taught me to love. She was the one that forged me into the man I was today, a man ready to stand on my own feet and protect the ones I love myself. Not the boy that betrayed and cheated his way to get what he wanted. I was ready now. Forged from the fire of loving a phoenix. Alena loved her metaphors. Mia had started her new life, she no longer had space for me in it and neither did I. I was ready now, ready to settle down, ready to feel like I was somebody's rather than waiting for the day I would lose Mia. I had lost her. I had lost her years ago now and finally I was ready to let someone else in.

The only person I would ever have eyes for other than Mia would be Clara. Alena knew that, so much so she pushed us together neglecting her own relationship until I was happy.

Since my newfound responsibilities after Esther’s spell, I found myself needing Clara more than ever. It started as our friendship until the last few years it was growing into something more. It had only been a month ago that we started an official relationship. Clara moved into the Volturi on the request of Edward. Well actually he had told me to give Clara an ultimatum. To be safe she needed to live a completely human life, change her name, assimilate into society as a human. That’s what he wanted for her anyway. As her father he wanted her as far from this craziness as he could get her. Of course, Clara wouldn’t take that. But her friendship with me and my reliance on her put her in danger. After Esther's absence we had supernatural creatures coming from across the world for an explanation, some accepted it, some were angry at myself and my sister. The new pedestal Esther had put us on catapulted us into her position and into a threat we’d never had to face before now. Many feared us, not only because we had been able to restrain the most powerful creature on the planet, but also because we were the unknown. The immortal twins, Nephilim and witch. The product of Cain, an angel… and Lilim. People feared us as they feared Esther and it took barely a few days after Esther’s spell for Edward to come to me and beg me to protect Clara at all costs. I had agreed to give her options, I wasn’t going to push her out of my life when selfishly I needed her more than ever.

The human option was the first, the second option was for her to move into the Volturi where she would be protected. There she could continue her work as an illustrator, and she could still see her mother and stepfather and Edward. And selfishly... she could still see me. Zio gave her one of the apartments on the guard’s floor of the Volturi mansion. With so many guard members going off on missions to find answers that would one day return Esther to us, there were many empty apartments available in the most secure building in the world. I was allocated one and Clara was given another. We had been neighbours ever since. She was allowed out to visit her family and her human children as long as she was with one of her vampire relatives and not with me. Any obvious connection to me was a no go, but at least we got to be friends in the grounds of the Volturi and that’s all that mattered to me. It was all I needed. There were no romantic undertones in our friendship back then, I was missing Mia, and she still grieved her husband. We were each other’s escape, the friendship we needed to get through the hardest time of both our lives.

The months that followed the eclipse were the hardest, Clara was my confidant and best friend. I would always go to her apartment for dinner after a long day at court. She would cook us food and we’d hang out until it was time for me to go home and sleep until I repeated it all the next day. Those evenings were my haven and my distraction from the job I had suddenly inherited. Alena was my partner in our newfound work, but Clara was my escape. We watched movies and played board games and sometimes just did our own thing, but we were always in the same room, always together.

We had conversations over the years, often hinting to our future, the occasional husband and wife joke or the one time we had a deep conversation about hypothetical future children. It was natural and it was the normal in the crazy world I called my life now.

It had been six years before we acted on any feelings we had for each other, no matter the teasing or the suggestive comments from our family and friends, we had never stepped over any boundaries until recently.

I didn’t know when things had changed for me. I didn’t know when thinking of Mia started to hurt less and thinking of Clara consumed my near every thought but it had. Sometime over those six years of our close friendship, I had moved on from Mia and fallen for Clara all over again.

“Why are you awake?” I heard her whisper as she moved her chin to rest it on my shoulder. Her head was tilted up to face me, but I was still staring at the ceiling.

“Nightmares again” I murmured, and I felt her body sigh in response to my words. She tightened her grip on my side as she curled closer into my body.

“I wish I could help you” she said as she kissed my chest gently.

“there’s only one person that can” I sighed in response thinking of the body 17 meters below us. It was strange being one of only three people in the world that knew that. Esther was with us always and yet she was still alone. That loneliness was what I dreamt of, its what ached in my chest when I thought of Esther. I felt Clara nod as she rested her head on my shoulder. I wound my arm around her body and rested my hand on her waist.

“How long, do you think? With all the new information?” she asked. The new Volturi guests had proven most valuable in the return of Esther. Whether their intentions were selfish or not, they had numbers vastly superior to the Volturi and had sent an army out to help the guard members across the world. We were fairly certain now we knew how to access the spirit realm, but it didn’t mean we were ready for the fight. It didn’t mean Mia was ready.

That was another name that turned my stomach in regret. I knew the love I had for her now was nostalgic and platonic, but it didn’t change who she was to me. It didn’t matter how much I loved the human girl in my arms, a part of me would always love the tribrid, just as a part of Clara would always love Elijah. The regret I felt for Mia was mostly guilt. Whilst I was helping with what I could, the fact we were barely able to pass each other without feeling the power conflict between us limited a lot of what we could do in the same room. I saw her fleetingly quite often but we both knew how careful we had to be, and I hated myself for not being there for her. Now a days my only thoughts on her were how I hoped she would get out of this alive. She had to. I hated the thought that fate had decided her only purpose in life was this. The magic of the moon wouldn’t be that cruel right? Surely all the children of the moon were equal, it wouldn’t favour Esther just because she was the first. I hoped not at least. Whilst being separated from Mia caused me to grieve like id never felt before, the idea of her actually dying, of her not walking past me in the corridors of the Volturi or giving me a smile across the court room or seeing her laugh in the gardens with her imprint, it tore at my heart in ways I couldn’t explain. I wouldn’t survive that pain.

“The information doesn’t mean anything if Mia and the pack aren’t ready. This is on them. Even if we know how to access that realm, how to bring the fight to them, its all on Mia” I said, and the thought pained me. The world, Esther, was on Mia’s shoulders. She deserved a normal life. She deserved love and a life not war and responsibility.

“I’ve seen the way she trains her pack. I’ve seen how devoted they are to her. She’s their everything. I think every single one of them would die to keep her safe. They idolise her” Clara said but I couldn’t see her face as she spoke, she had tucked it back into the space between my shoulder and neck.

“She’s always been easy to love. The Quileute pack would follow her around like little puppies. They didn’t just protect her because they were being paid to, they did it because they loved her. All of them.” I mumbled remembering what it was like to live in La Push. How they all called her princess and did everything she ever wanted. How they would jump in front of a bus for her.

“She’s quite the visionary. The past few years, watching her, getting to see her, I know why you love her.” She admitted and I sighed at the memory. I also didn’t miss the fact she said love in the present tense. She knew me so well. It was no secret I still loved Mia, that I would always love her, I just wasn’t in love with her anymore.

There was no jealousy when it came to Mia and Clara, just as there was none when it came to Elijah and I. Clara accepted who Mia was to me just as I accepted Elijah would never truly leave Clara. We had spoken about our other relationships in depth over the past six years and it only made us stronger for it.

“I love you more.” I answered her. I knew I didn’t need to say these words out loud, she knew that, but I wanted to anyway.

“I know” she whispered her lips brushing my collar bone now, her kisses continued across my bare shoulder until she reached the base of my throat. I swallowed at the feeling of anticipation as she paused. I felt her smile against my skin as she continued her way to my jawbone and the edge of my lips.

“Clara” I tried to say but embarrassingly it came out more of a moan.

“You have court in an hour” she reminded me, but her kisses didn’t stop. My arm tightened around her waist keeping her close to me and I turned my head to meet her lips with my own.

“you’re the one kissing me” I mumbled against her as she pulled herself onto my chest to straddle me.

“An hour is plenty of time” she said as her hands entwined into my hair to continue the kiss.

Being with Clara like this, was nothing like when I was with Mia. I guess I was pretty stupid to not realise that my experiences with a tribrid wouldn’t teach me how to be with a human. The first time she touched me it was like a feather in comparison to Mia. Sometimes I was afraid she would break, every touch I marvelled at the heat and softness of her skin. The slow pounding of her heart beneath my palm was soothing when I was used to the hummingbird rhythm of Mia’s. Sex with Clara was an equal playing field. We both had so much to learn and explore with each other and whilst this part was fun, I couldn’t wait for years down the line when we were in the comfortable stage where we knew each other so well id be able to read every little thing about her and know exactly what she liked and when. I loved being with her knowing there was no sword hanging above our heads, there was no feeling of dread and loss every time she left the house, there was just an infectious feeling of discovery and anticipation that this could be our forever. That I would wake up next to her every day for the rest of our very long lives. I had never had that luxury of settling down, I had never once let myself think that I could have someone like that. Not until now. Sex with a promise of forever was nothing like I had ever dreamt of experiencing, kissing her and loving her, worshiping her knowing she was completely and utterly mine for as long as we worked on our relationship was intoxicating and it beat any feeling I ever had for Mia. Knowing I had a possible future with Clara, knowing we had seventy years of friendship as a foundation for our relationship made me buzz with excitement for the next seventy years because I couldn’t ever imagine my life without her now. Not now id tasted the luxury of a future, not now id had her like this. Vulnerable and beautiful and perfect beneath my hands. The idea she might be by my side, as my wife, as the mother to my children, was exhilarating. I finally let myself imagine it because it was finally possible, and I knew I wanted it more than anything else in the world.

“Axton” she whispered into my hair as I lay softly over her chest. I wasn’t putting my entire weight on her, but I also didn’t want to leave her in this bed whilst I had to stand in a cold court room listening to strangers.

“mmm” I mumbled kissing her throat this time. She giggled beneath me.

“You have work to do, and so do I” she said her fingers gently massaging my scalp in my hair. I sighed into her skin and took a deep breath to surround myself with her scent.

“Maybe I should call in sick” I suggested, and that got a real laugh out of her.

“Have you ever been sick a day in your life?” she asked. I looked up to pout at her.

“I’m still human you know. I get sick. Sometimes” I said but I honestly couldn’t remember the last time I was actually sick. It happened; I knew it had but I definitely had a better immune system than a regular human. I guess that was the perk of being immortal.

“they’d know. Your sister would certainly know. And I really need to finish this book I’m working on so there wouldn’t be much for you to do anyway” she said with a soft smile and bent to kiss my nose.

“fine” I grumbled but pulled her into me as I rolled onto my back. I hugged her to me and was grateful she returned the hug instead of pushing away. Mia would have pushed away.

I shook the thought from my head.

“I love you” I whispered into her hair.

“I love you too” she whispered back just in time for the alarm to ring through the room. “I’m going to my moms and Zac’s later and won’t be home until after dinner, can you survive one night without me cooking for you?” she asked as she began to move from the bed.

“I survived 94 years without it, I’m sure my sister will feed me” I called out as she went into the en suite bathroom.

“There is food in the fridge you know” she called out. “Or you can eat at your own apartment” she added over the noise of the shower.

“Yours is prettier” I called out but huffed as I exited the bed. I dressed in the few clothes I had here at Clara’s and said goodbye to her before I left, pulling my Volturi robe around my shoulders as I walked down the long corridor to the stairs. I hadn’t slept a night in my own apartment for over a month. Since we took the next step, I only ever went there to get clothes. Her apartment was bigger and brighter than mine. She had the best apartment in the whole mansion, except for the three leader apartments on the top floor. But she had the best ‘guard’ apartment. All the apartments were one bedroomed, enough for two to live in them at most. Clara had been given the most spacious one, the only one with two bedrooms and two bathrooms. Its living area would fit my entire apartment in it. She had been given the best since she was sacrificing so much living here and honestly, I was glad, because it made me feel a lot less guilty when she had her own art studio and study set up with a balcony and an amazing view of the estate behind the Volturi.

I knew we needed to discuss the living arrangement; I was just a coward that didn’t know how to bring the subject up. I already felt guilty enough with how happy I was. The Volturi functioned but it wasn’t what it was before. No one would be truly happy until Esther was back. I just didn’t want to seem selfish to the cause. Clara and I were only at the start of our relationship, but I knew the next step was inevitable. We were too good together, we understood each other better than anyone else in our lives. And that included my twin sister. Clara and I had a mutual grief and history that bonded us, and it only solidified the love between us. It felt right and I knew I wanted to marry her and have a family with her, I just had to wait. I wouldn’t tie her to me when I was so integral to the Volturi, not when her simply being at my side put her in danger. My sole focus was Esther and returning her to us. After that Clara and I would be free to be whoever we wanted.

Court was dull and the same. Most of the day was actually spent in the meeting room discussing Mia’s progress with the wolves. Mia would stand at one end of the room, Alena and I at the other keeping as much distance as we could from our repelling power. It was torture. Not because we were in any kind of pain with proximity, because I didn’t recognise her anymore. Mia wasn’t my Mia. She was this new, strong capable leader that spoke at a hundred miles a minute. She was excited at the prospect of war, and it turned my stomach. She was so different now.

We were mid-way through a discussion when the door swung open. Everyone turned to look who it was in such a hurry.

“Zio” Micah Cullen entered the room rather suddenly as his eyes scanned the room.

“Is everything okay?” Zio asked but everyone already knew the answer.

“there’s a Luna disciple parading around my hospital. I want to know if its intentional or a coincidence.” Micah demanded.

“Did you say anything? How do you know who they are?” Matthew asked.

“Nova saw her aura when she encountered me in the hallway. She carries around a moon pendant and has a religious level devotion to me. It was pretty obvious. I want to know if she was planted. I want to talk to Ruby” Micah said his head spinning to Eddie. Ruby was the leader of the disciples, well the leader of the group that was now guests at the Volturi. She was working with the Volturi and instructing those she could to help with our problems regarding Esther. One of her people had been the one to find the answer we needed for the fight. She had only proven to be useful and cooperative so far. But I wasn't as trusting as others in the room. The information peaked my interest. Micah was accusing her of what? A spy?

“Eddie” Zio said turning to nod at him before turning the rest of the room. “Eddie, the twins and Micah to stay in the room, everyone else next door. Eddie will relay the conversation to you all as we question her.” Zio said immediately turning into the leader he is.

“Why us?” Alena asked. We tended to stay out of the way as much as we could. We were there for deterrence, there as a symbol and a presence that Esther used to cover. Sometimes, just having someone as powerful as Esther or my sister and I in the room deferred a lot of ‘guests’ from cheating or second guessing Zio. People saw his power, well, they saw our power in his hands, and that would often be enough to keep them cooperative.

“You know why” Zio stated as everyone began leaving the room. He turned to Eddie as the room emptied to just the five of us.

“Amirah I want you outside the room” he stated, and Mia gave a small nod as she left without another word. I couldn’t help the reaction that escaped me. I didn’t question Zio, not very often at least.

“Why her?” I asked before I could stop myself.

“Just in case” Zio said but he wouldn’t look at me. He wasn’t scared of me, but he knew I was an unknown, he knew he didn’t truly know my capabilities. I hadn’t spent too much time here at the Volturi over the past few decades. All Zio knew was we were powerful enough to work with and hold down Esther, and she was, to him, the pinnacle of power. He knew he had to keep me on his good side if she were to ever return to him.

“There doesn’t need to be a 'just in case'. That’s what we’re here for. You don’t need Mia” I almost growled. I hated any thought of her near the disciples. I knew they had done some good, I knew they were helping but I had a feeling in my gut they were just bidding time. They had shown a fascination with Mia because she was unique, and the moon gave her life. I knew she was able to take care of herself and yet I couldn’t control the urge to throw her on a plane with her imprint and force them to live in La Push where I knew she would be safe from all this. The romantic love I had for her may be long gone but that need to keep her safe would never fade. Not whilst she had a target on her back. Zio and I had an agreement: He would keep them away from Mia as much as he possibly could. It was just as much for his benefit as my own. He recognised Mia was just as integral to Esther returning as I was and he didn't want to risk anything in regards to Mia and Ignacio's mission.

“She isn’t yours to protect anymore Axton” Zio said his eyes finally meeting mine. This wasn’t a man that scared easily.

“I will always protect her” I stated. I stopped the urge to snarl the words. It wouldn’t help the situation.

“Ruby is a baby Luna Bambini. She’s barely six years old. She’s no threat to the tribrid or anyone in this room.” Eddie said trying to defuse the situation. It was very Esther of him.

“Except the hybrid” I mentioned eying Zio.

“She isn’t a threat. Mia is just there for insurance that’s all. Ruby idolises her, it’s a precaution in case this gets ugly. Mia will be able to talk her down. But it’s not going to get ugly. There will be a perfectly normal explanation for this” Eddie said glaring between Zio and myself right as the door opened and Ruby gave a wave in greeting as she entered.

“This isn’t our usual meeting time Pancrazio, is everything okay?” she asked as Zio motioned for her to take a seat. She eyed me and my sister at the wall. I had instinctively fallen back against it, my back straight and an emotionless expression in place. She looked next at her Luna Bambini brothers across the table.

I found it so strange to be this devoted to your own species. She was exactly the same as the two men in front of her and yet she looked at them in awe. Like they were different to her. I wasn’t a telepath or an empath the way Eddie and Micah were, I couldn’t begin to understand her or the blind devotion she had to her higher power. It reminded me too much of Lilim’s followers, how blind they were too. It sent shivers down my spine and made me want to run from the room.

But I couldn't.

“We need to ask you about one of your people.” Eddie began and Ruby nodded in response.

“Has someone done something wrong? Did someone stray?” she asked curiously. From the rules. The rules she and Zio had perfectly crafted the past few weeks; the terms of their visitation.

“Tilly Maven. Do you know the name?” Micah asked and I saw his eyes narrow as he was seeing things no one else in the room could see.

“No, I’m afraid I don’t. Our cause has a lot of followers. I can’t be expected to know every single one by name. Are you sure she’s a Luna Disciple?” Ruby asked after a moment thought. I saw Micah relax slightly. I had been learning his body language over the years. He wasn’t as good as his vampire relatives at keeping impartial. I suspected he hadn’t had the years practice of hiding his feelings and thoughts.

“I am.” Micah nodded.

“Is she human?” Ruby asked with a small tilt of her head. Her body language set my nerves on fire, and I hated it. I trusted the men across the table to know her well enough by now, but I couldn’t help the strange feeling I got around her.

“She is.”

“What is it she did? Why are you asking me about her?” Ruby asked again realising Micah still hadn’t told her what was going on.

Micah explained to Ruby how he had seen the way she reacted when she saw him at his hospital leaving out the part about Nova noticing it first.

“And you suspect she was placed there to get close to you” Ruby said with a knowing nod.

“Was she?” Micah asked and I could almost hear the fear in his voice. Ruby didn’t know, but Micah wasn’t scared for his own life and identity at this point. In fact, he probably didn’t care a fanatical human was scurrying around his hospital for him, he was scared for his child. The child Ruby didn’t know existed. The grandchild of Esther, her saint.

“I can promise you; I have no knowledge of such an act. I have been open and honest about the known whereabouts of our followers. I can’t keep track of everyone though. I have no reason to lie to you. I know the company I keep. There is no point in lying or hiding anything when there are so many telepaths around. I did not send Tilly Maven to infiltrate your hospital.” Ruby said and didn’t break eye contact with Micah once. He turned to look at Eddie for a moment who nodded at his side.

“Tell us then, what do you think she’s doing there?” Zio steered the conversation around and Ruby turned to look at him now.

“Most of our human sect of the church don’t know everything. They don’t have the full details on the supernatural. Only those higher up are aware of what we are. Without knowledge of the supernatural the vast majority don’t know the connection or the significance of the Cullen name. So, I am finding it difficult to believe she was there simply for you Micah.” Ruby said and turned to look back at Micah.

“I saw her reaction to me. It wasn’t just a schoolgirl crush, it was zeal. Religious devotion to me. She knew I was Luna.” Micah said dismissing Ruby’s claim.

“Did she? Did you read her mind?” she asked but Micah scoffed.

“I may as well have. My ability is extremely accurate. I don’t make mistakes often.” Micah challenged her.

“I’m going to give you a scenario and you can believe it if you will, or you can send your telepaths and interrogate her yourself, but I suspect you’re trying to avoid dragging her into the supernatural, hence why I’m here and not her” Ruby said looking back and forth between the three men at the table. None of them answered so she continued.

“I suspect that Ms Maven joined the hospital with the knowledge that Esther has been seen there. It is no secret that her daughter has worked there even in the human world and whilst you keep your connection to that said daughter as quiet as you can, the supernatural know your connection to her and I imagine many people in that hospital know it too.” Ruby said with an inflection of a question at the end. Micah didn’t answer he just swallowed. This was skirting on dangerous territory. I recognised that.

“Did you meet her on her first day? Aren’t you the chief of staff? Did you not interview her and introduce yourself before today?” Ruby asked.

“of course, I did” Micah said

“And did you see it then? The devotion?” she asked as her fingers gently drilled on the surface of the glass table.

She was smart and I hated that she was making sense. I think a lot of people in the room were thinking the same.

“No, I didn’t” Micah almost growled in response.

“Then I think that devotion you’re seeing? Its just your connection to your wife. She probably heard about you being close to Esther’s daughter at the hospital and she now feels the same to you as she would her. Sometimes we feel strongly about those connected to the higher power. It is why we’re here trying to keep our Esther and her children safe.” Ruby said, her voice turning whimsical at the end at the mention of Esther. I saw Eddie’s body tense at the word ‘our’. He was normally so good at hiding his emotions, but when it came to Esther, he struggled, and I didn’t blame him. The way these people spoke about her was far too creepy for my liking. I couldn’t wait for Esther to come back and send them all away crying. Until then we had to use them, we had to accept them, or we might cause a war over a body that was two stories under our feet.

“Thank you for your insight, Ruby. I suspect you are right and I over reacted” Micah said, and I could see he was clenching his teeth as if he didn’t want to say the words out loud. I wondered what Eddie was putting his head.

“I am happy to help,” she said with a bow of her head before she stood up. She looked to Zio respectfully as she waited for permission to leave.

“you’re free to go Ruby thank you” Zio said dismissing her from the room. I watched as she left. When I was in the room with one of them it felt like I had something crawling up my spine.

“I will arrange it tomorrow” Micah said nodding to Eddies silent projection.

“that’s it?” I asked after a moment of silence.

“Eddie is going to pretend to be one of the hospital psychiatrists and sit down with Tilly tomorrow as a routine check-up on mental health and get the answers for certain then” Micah said answering my question. I gave a nod in satisfaction. I was glad they weren’t just leaving it on the word of the crazy religious girl and her theories.

“I apologise for keeping you here both so late. Thank you for staying” Zio said to myself and Alena.

“of course,” Alena said softer than I would have responded. “we’ll see you tomorrow” she said happily and took my hand as we left the room. Some of the other Volturi entered as we left but I couldn’t wait to get out of there.

Leaving the room, I knew Mia was close by, not just because Zio had requested as much but because I could feel her. It was the magnets repelling in close proximity somewhere within a few meters.

“We should head home” I said wanting to avoid her at all costs. Not because I didn’t want to be around her personally but because it was exhausting when we pushed against the magnet. It just made it easier to avoid each other.

“you’re coming to mine for dinner, right?” Alena asked as we exited through the first door we could find out of the mansion.

“I think I’m just going to head home; it’s been a long day” I said turning to kiss my sister on her temple.

“Are you sure?” she asked looking at me with concern.

“I have Clara. I’m fine” I said smiling at her worry for me. She relaxed at the thought and smirked at the name.

“See you tomorrow Ax” she said dropping my hand and waving. I took a walk around the edge of the building and to the private guard only access stairs to the second floor where Clara’s apartment was.

I knew she wouldn’t be home, but I found myself in her shower and under her blankets without much thought.

I didn’t know I had fallen asleep until several hours later when I felt her weight on the bed and her cold hands wrap around my torso. I opened my eyes to see the room was dark and she smelt of the fresh night air.

“Did you have a good time at your parents?” I asked her barely awake. Her cold face pressed into my upper back. I felt her mumble a response.

“Yep, did you have a good day?” she asked as she inched her body closer to mine to hug me from behind.

“I don’t really have good days at the Volturi Clara” I tried to joke but I felt her sigh. “The only good part of my day is coming home to you” I added after a moment, and I felt her lips now at the base of my neck.

“Me too” she whispered but I could already hear her drifting off to sleep behind me.

I really needed to address this moving in thing because I was getting far too use to this and I knew I wouldn't be able to give it up any time soon.

1 comment:

  1. It’s good to know that Tilly (hopefully) isn’t going to cause too much trouble. Axton and Clara’s relationship is adorable, I’m glad they end up together.

    ReplyDelete