Friday 17 September 2021

Diamond Legacies: Part 20

 
------------ ------------ ------------

Chicago, September 2226

------------ ------------ ------------

Nova Cullen 

------------ ------------ ------------

 

“Nova stop pacing” Lucan sighed. It had been hours, but I hadn’t stopped thinking about it all night and all morning.

My sister had exposed us. She had told a human who we were, well, not what we were thankfully but she had told a human she was a Cullen. I didn’t even know who that guy was, I didn’t even know she was seeing someone or in a relationship. She hated being a Cullen, she ran away from being a Cullen and now here she was telling strangers?

I was so angry, and I had no outlet. She had blocked me out of her mind the second she realised what she’d done and didn’t give me any explanation.

“Nova” Lucan sighed.

“I have to go to New York” that was my only option. I needed to ask her what the hell she was doing. Who this guy was that she wanted to risk her own life and the sanity of our parents and people that loved us. She was being reckless, and I knew I had to stop her.

“That is not the answer here” Lucan scolded me.

“She won’t let me in. She won’t explain. What if that guy has links to the disciples? What if they sent someone to get close to her? To find out who she was. People might recognise the surname. It’s my mothers’ surname!” I was ranting. The words were just leaving my mind as I thought them, and I couldn’t help the sheer fear I felt for my sister.

“She wouldn’t have done it if she didn’t trust him. She can see his soul; you guys know when people are bad people” he reasoned but I scowled at him for taking her side. Wasn’t he supposed to be my imprinter? My supporter? Not hers.

“she’s blinded by love. She only sees what she wants to see. I need to see him, meet him, for myself. So, I know she’s not just following a lust filled agender. Eden was never good at interpretation of auras. She pushed away from her ability. Once she had it under control, she didn’t want to learn how to use it properly or advance it in any way. She just wanted to be normal. She’s always wanted to be normal that’s why I don’t understand her. What the hell is she thinking?” I sighed my voice getting angrier as I spoke. I felt like my head was going to explode.

I couldn’t believe she would be this reckless, and over a man no less.

“I think you’re underestimating your sister a little here” Lucan said coming to stop my pacing.

“Are you her imprinter or mine?” I glared at him, and he shook his head in disbelief.

“Grow up Nova. Your sister certainly has” he said this time walking away from me. I felt like I could scream.

“I’m going to New York” I yelled, and he pivoted to face me.

“No, you’re not” he said with a finalisation to his voice that made me shiver. “Leave your sister to her own business. You don’t have to swoop in and protect everyone all the time. Let her make her own mistakes” he said but his voice softened over the course of his speech. “You live for everyone else but yourself. Me, your mother, your sister, your family. She’s only going to hate you for interfering. He’s just a human, he can’t do any damage to her. The disciples are here in Chicago, and they are actually cooperating and helping the Volturi. They’re not bad people.”

“they’re not?” I asked with a frown. I knew Lucan spent his training at the Volturi grounds and with Amirah who would have a direct line to finding this stuff out but why hadn’t I been told they weren’t a threat anymore?

“they’re still wary of them. They still have a strange fascination with Esther, with your mother and the life and death twins but they haven’t shown any reason to fear them yet. They’ve been open, telling the Volturi of all their strengths and abilities their members have. They have been cooperating truthfully and openly. They’re helping. Your father, Eddie and the immortal twins have been evaluating them the whole time. They genuinely seem to care. They’re not a threat to Eden, they would only protect her. Amirah is sure of that.”

“Is my mother?” I asked as I crossed my arms over my chest defensively.

“of course not. But she can’t be objective in this. Others in the Volturi can.” He said and I rolled my eyes.

“You sound like your alpha” I murmured.

“Well Amirah is actually pretty badass and wise beyond her years. I trust her completely. And I’m not saying that because she’s my alpha. She’s actually an awesome person.”

“Careful, if you didn’t have an imprint id say you have a crush” I said and I couldn’t help but tease him.

“She has an imprint too remember” he said with an eye roll. “I just respect her, a lot. She’s been through so much and is still going to have to face the biggest evil the world has ever known and she’s doing it because she’s the only one that can. She’s actually a really cool person if you just get to know her.” He said with a shrug.

“My mother would murder me if I became friends with her frenemy” I laughed but I suddenly felt better about the whole situation. If Eden was safe, I was happy. I still really wanted to meet this new boyfriend but for now, I would leave her to explore what ever it is she had found with him. Maybe one day shed ask me to meet him herself. Maybe.

Lucan scoffed at my frenemy comment.

“I’ve known both your mother and Amirah for years. I honestly think if they just sat down and spoke to each other and got to know each other. They’d be unstoppable together, and honestly, really good friends.” He said with another shrug.

“that’s what my grandmother used to say” I almost whispered, remembering Esther telling me and Eden little stories here and there about our parents and their jobs in the Volturi. I was never allowed around Amirah, especially after she imprinted on a demon, but she seemed good and Ophelia loved her too.

The thought of my best friend made my heart ache. I missed her. I missed going to the Volturi. I missed my family.

“If the Volturi is safe again why didn’t my parents tell me?” I asked as I began pacing.

“Because there’s no need for you to be there, I guess” Lucan shrugged as he sat on the couch.

“No need for me to be with my family? To go home? To see my best friend?” I asked glaring the questions at him. He shrugged and held his hands up as if to protect himself.

“I’m not your parent Nova. Ask them. Or go there yourself.” He said.

“You won’t stop me?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.

“My orders come from my alphas, not your parents.” He said.

“But…” I said trailing off looking at him. “So, you genuinely don’t think id be in danger if I went there?” I asked.

“No, I don’t” he admitted and that was enough for me. Lucan wouldn’t let me leave this house if he thought there was legitimate danger out there. His instincts wouldn’t let him. “doesn’t mean I’m not coming with you though” he smiled and stood up when he realised what my plan was.

“I just want to see Ophelia. I don’t care about the rest. I just want my best friend” I said in explanation and headed straight for the door.

I pulled out my phone as we climbed into the car and dialled my mother.

I knew better than to turn up. She would have a heart attack and I wouldn’t be the cause of more pain for my mother.

“Hello sweet girl” she answered, and I gave a small sigh before I began. I had to be strong. I wasn’t asking her for permission I was just informing her of my plan.

“Mama I’m going to see Ophelia” I said as a matter of fact, not a question. I heard her sigh on the other end. “I know you told me to avoid the Volturi, and I have mama, for months. I have. But I miss my best friend. I just want to see her. Be with her for a few hours. I promise not to see anyone else. I wont even leave her house” I promised, and she didn’t answer straight away. I waited as Lucan sped towards the Volturi estate.

“Promise me you’ll avoid the main mansion. You won’t go into the estate. You’ll go straight to Ophelia and Alena’s, and you’ll stay there until you’re ready to leave. And then you’ll go, you won’t talk to another human or supernatural being. The threat isnt as big as before so an occasional visit should be okay for your sanity's sake” she said, and I let out a smile in response.

“I promise mama” I answered, and I could almost hear her smile. “Thank you” I added.

“Just be careful Nova” she added, and I promised her again that I would before we hung up.

“Told you things were better” Lucan said as we pulled up outside the gate that let us into the housing estate behind the main Volturi estate. Lucan entered the code to let us in and the gates opened, allowing us to drive right up to Ophelia and Alena’s home.

“Let’s just hope she’s in” I said as I climbed out.

“She will be.” He said and knocked on the door.

“In the back yard Nova!” I heard Ophelia call out and I grinned as I entered her house and made my way through the back. My best friend was part vampire part witch. Of course, she heard me and Lucan talking on her driveway.

“What the hell is going on?” I laughed seeing Ophelia and Alena in the back garden, they were both circling each other like predators, sparks were flying between them. Literal sparks of magic.

“Sparring” Ophelia said with a gasp as she rebounded Alena’s spell.

“With magic?” I eyed them carefully from the safety of the porch.

“With magic” Ophelia echoed before she let out a giant lightning bolt that barely missed Alena by a hair. Alena stood staring at Ophelia in disbelief. “I win!” she called with a grin. Alena was still shocked. Ophelia almost ran across the garden and landed a kiss on her girlfriends stunned lips.

“I thought Alena and Axton were the most powerful witches in the world” Lucan said curiously as the sight.

“that’s what they make you think” Ophelia joked picking up a towel and wiping her forehead.  “I’m a Lilim descendant. Just like them, powered by my vampire side. Like your alpha. Mia and I have more power in our pinkie than these two do in their whole body.”

“I beg to differ” Alena said coming up to us. “I just let you win because I love you” she said with a grin, and it was Ophelia’s time to freeze this time at the admission. I laughed at the shock on her face.

“It’s been way too long since you were here” Alena said reaching to hug me. She wasn’t sweating at all. The work out had been nothing to Alena. I was starting to guess Alena was right about the whole power thing.

“Screw the rules, I missed you both” I said returning her hug.

“Does your mother know? No matter how powerful I am, I don’t want to get on the end of Ivana’s wrath.” Alena said warily.

“She told me I could see Ophelia, that I should be safe enough to visit occasionally again” I said looking to my best friend as she grinned at me.

“Best news I’ve heard all day” Ophelia said as she came to hug me too.

“I have to get to court, but I’m really glad you’re back Nova” Alena said with a genuine smile. I smiled back and waved to her as she went back through the house.

“I’m gunna find my brothers, enjoy your time with your best friend” Lucan said placing a kiss on my temple. I nodded and watched him leave. The metaphorical rope that tied us together stretched as he walked away. I could help but feel my heart straining as I watched him leave.

“Hey, what is that?” Ophelia asked seeing my reaction to the distance. She knew how I felt about the imprint. She knew everything. Except what had happened the last few months since the attack. I hadn’t been able to talk to her, to talk to anyone about it without Lucan possibly overhearing.

“it’s messy” I sighed turning back to her.

“Come, I need a shower... explain messy bestie” she said dragging me through her house into her bedroom. I noticed it was different.

Ophelia was as open to me about her relationship as I was about mine to her. For years Alena and Ophelia were on and off again. They made the move years ago to move in together, but they always had kept their separate bedrooms, with their own space. As I looked around my cousin’s bedroom, I realised this wasn’t just her space anymore. There were signs of Alena in here more than ever.

“It’s been hard. Alena struggles to sleep; the past year has been the worst. She dreams of Esther. I think its their link” Ophelia said as she stripped to enter her shower. I sat on her toilet seat as she stepped into the water to clean off the sweat.

“I’ve never seen you like that, in the garden. The way you kissed her, and she said she loved you.” I said looking back out to the bedroom.

“Yeah, she’s not so shielded with her feelings anymore. The past few months have changed that.” She continued.

“Why?” I asked scared to know the answer.

“It’s a mixture of things, I think. I think she’s realised how much we mean to each other after recent events. And then there is the disciples. One of them took a liking to me. I’m unique after all. She got jealous” she laughed under the water.

“She did?” I smirked, Alena and Axton had perfected the art of the poker face. They were so good at not letting their emotions show. I had seen them countless times in the court room, how perfect they both were. They stood there with imminent power and a stare that scared anyone. The threat seeped off them in waves. I was honestly a little scared of them myself and I didn’t really know why. I knew they were powerful, more powerful than anyone, other than my grandmother of course. They had been designated as her proxy; they were her replacement until she returned. I would love to have seen Alena’s mask break in the face of jealousy.

That reminded me of something Ophelia said.

“What do you mean Alena’s connection to Esther? What’s Alena got to do with my grandmother?” I asked curiously. I watched as Ophelia froze under the water for a moment at my words.

“shit” I heard her mumble. “I’m sorry Nova. I forgot” she said as she exited the shower and wrapped a towel around her.

“Forgot what?” I asked carefully.

“Your grandmother… she’s connected to Axton and Alena. I know you don’t understand why but I can’t tell you anything else. Its to protect you” she explained nervously.

“Matthew” I said with a nod. I remembered his visit. I thought about it a lot actually, wondering what he took from me.

“It’s not important” she said as she exited the bathroom to get dressed.

“I won’t ask” I said knowing she couldn’t talk about it. I knew I had agreed to the memory wipe. I just hoped one day what ever was taken from me would be returned. Everyone else clearly knew about it. I guess it was the price I had to pay to get to live a semi-normal life in the human world.

“I’m going to ask about Lucan though, what was that? It looked like you didn’t want him to leave you” she said changing the subject and I was kind of grateful. I didn’t want to look in the eyes of my cousin and for her to lie about my grandmother to me.

“Ever since the attack. Its like the imprint magnified by a thousand, on my end more than his. I can’t explain it. it hurts when he’s not with me” I said I almost felt ashamed. I had complained to her so many times about the imprint about how I felt about it and now I was on the complete other side of it. although the dependency was definitely annoying, I also learnt to appreciate having him.

“I guess we’ve both done some growing up the past few months” she said with a smile.

“You and Alena?” I asked wondering if she'd give me more information.

“It’s better than it’s ever been. She relies on me a lot. She and her brother have to deal with so much. She appreciates coming home to me, and I’m not complaining one bit” she said with a grin. I smiled back at her seeing her so happy. “Her brother has Clara now. She likes seeing them so happy. I think she was always so flaky with me before because she knew her brother wasn’t happy. But she believes he’s with the person he’s meant to be with now, so she’s finally letting herself settle. No more back and forth.”

“Axton is with Clara now?” I asked. I knew Clara was a Cullen, but I didn’t have much to do with her at all. I had only been told things through Ophelia; how Alena was trying to push her brother towards a woman named Clara for years now.

“Yeah, it took them long enough.” She laughed and I knew it was a story I didn’t have much information on.

“I’m happy for him, and Alena, and you. You guys deserve some happiness in the craziness of the Volturi.” I said and Ophelia gave me a small nod.

“Alena and Axton have a lot of pressure on their shoulders. I just hope Clara and I are enough to keep them sane.” She said with a nostalgic sigh. “They deserve a few decades of rest after all this is over” she said, and we both walked out of her bedroom when she was finally dressed.

“You mean because of my grandmother. It will be over when she returns?” I asked. My memory was hazy when it came to what happened to Esther and I knew it had to do with something Matthew did. It didn’t make sense otherwise.

“It will be soon. I’m almost positive” Ophelia smiled widely. “I miss her too” she said seeing something on my expression I didn’t know I was revealing. “it’s funny. I never knew how much I loved my aunt until she wasn’t here anymore. Seeing the way it affected my mother, who has lived thousands of years without her sister, to be this heartbroken over her absence really made me realise how special Esther truly is. She’s touched so many lives, she makes a difference to so many people, no wonder she has a whole religion that worship her as a saint.” She said as we walked down the stairs and into her living room.

“The disciples, you said they know who you are. Do they know you’re Esther’s niece?” I asked for clarification.

“They don’t know my relation to Esther no. They only know I’m a moon pool hybrid. They know I’m unique. They’re good though, so far, they’ve only treated me well. No crazy stalkers or worshipping at my feet. It was just that one dude that was flirting with me that Alena got pissed at. I think she realised that she needed to plant her flag, or I might stray one day” she said with a shrug.

“I highly doubt that” I mumbled. I had seen Ophelia and Alena my whole life grow into the love of each other’s lives. Whether they liked to admit it or not.

“they’re more fascinated with Amirah at the moment. The Volturi have started to let them help with the war. They have numbers vastly superior to our own. Abilities we’ve never heard of. They’re bringing us closer to getting Esther back. With their help she could be back in just a few years” she said with a hopeful smile.

“Really?” I asked and I couldn’t help my voice breaking at the thought of my grandmother hugging me again, training me with my ability, being around her warm presence and soft voice.

“Yeah, Alena is truly hopeful. They managed to find things out in two days the Volturi have taken six years to find. It’s an exciting prospect”

“And what happens when my grandmother returns? You said it yourself, their religion worships her. Will she be able to be free when she comes back?” I wondered.

“that’s the question everyone wants the answer to. Right now, all that matters is Esther coming back. We hope that Esther has the answer to that question.” She said without looking me in the eye.

“My grandmother doesn’t like to be worshipped” I stated, and Ophelia nodded in agreement.

“Time will tell I guess” she sighed but we decided to change the subject onto a happier one to avoid wallowing in the ‘what if’s.

My afternoon with Ophelia was exactly what I needed. I felt more like myself than I ever had before. I was dreading my night shift at the hospital, but I knew it had to be done. Doing it on the back of spending the day with my best friend was enough fuel for me to walk into the hospital with a bounce in my step.

“Are you ready for our first solo night shift?” Tilly asked me as she caught up to me walking into the hospital. I turned to smile at her.

“let’s do it” I grinned optimistically as we entered the locker rooms to change into our scrubs. As we exited the room Tilly almost ran into the person on the other side of the door.

My father stood there as he spoke to some nurses in the hallway.

“Sorry” Tilly said barely audible with a bow of her head. Her hand fell immediately on her necklace she never took off. It was the shape of a crescent moon, and it was very pretty but any time I asked her about it she avoided the conversation and just said it was a gift from her mother. I didn’t know why I hadn’t followed my gut when her aura would flash nervously around the subject. She never brought up religion or beliefs around me and seeing her so close to my father I suddenly understood why.

She had devotion cloud her every emotion. She worshipped him. A scream caught in my thoat at the realisation. I kept myself from reacting suspiciously. I wanted to reach for my father’s arm so he would turn around and see for himself, but I knew if I did that, she might wonder why I was so familiar with the chief of staff.

I had seen her blush and withdraw when my father entered the room, but I had never concentrated on her aura enough so see why. I just thought she found him attractive, as many female nurses and doctors did here but everyone knew he was taken. No one made any moves on him, not after they had met my mother anyway. But seeing Tilly so close to my father now, there was only one emotion she was feeling.

Blind zeal.

She was a Luna Disciple.

Tilly scurried off immediately across the room towards the ER. I watched her go and waited for her to be out of sight before I nearly fell into my father to catch his attention.

“Papa” I hissed low. I didn’t care who heard me in that moment. He needed to know. He turned to look at me with a glare of ‘what are you doing Nova?’ “I need to talk to you, right now” I said trying to show my fear. I knew he could see the urgency in my aura, the confusion and the questions. I hoped this was enough for him to take my request seriously. He motioned for the locker room, and he followed me in leaving the nurses outside very confused.

“Nova!” he began to scold me but there must have been something in my aura that stopped him from continuing.

“There’s one in the hospital. A Luna Disciple. Tilly Maven. She’s a resident from my class. She wears this moon pendant that she never takes off, I didn’t think anything of it before now but when she saw you in the hallway then, I saw her aura change. She idolises you. All I saw was devotion. It wasn’t just some human crush or respect of a superior. It was religious zeal.” I explained with wide eyes.

I knew Lucan and Ophelia had told me the disciples had proven to be helpful and open to help but had they infiltrated the hospital to get close to my father on purpose? Had Tilly been tasked to find out about my father’s life because he was a child of the moon pool?

“Are you sure Nova?” he asked with a frown.

“I’m 90% sure” I said with a nod. I had been friends with Tilly for years. She had never mentioned religion to me, but it suddenly all made sense. She was obsessed with the stars and the universe; she loved the moon light and would often tell me how she loved looking up at it. “What are you going to do?” I asked as my father began to pace in front of me.

“I’ll have to take her to the Volturi. Let them decide. Find out if the others knew about her. If she was planted in the hospital or she was there out of her own choice. If she knew who I was before she came here, or it was just a coincidence.” He said and I could see he was thinking over a lot in his head.

“And me?” I asked suddenly scared. Did she know about me?

“She can’t know about you Nova. Its impossible. The protections on you are absolute. Your grandmother made sure of it. You have no trace to me or your mother biologically or magically. Even if they know you’re a Cullen, it’s impossible for them to know your relation to Esther.” he said with a strong nod of his head as if he was trying to convince himself as much as he was trying to convince me.

“I hope you’re right” I mumbled but suddenly I was against his chest, and he was hugging me.

“I need you to go back to work. I need you to pretend like you didn’t see anything, and everything is normal. Ill call you as soon as its resolved.” He said and pulled away. I wanted to argue. I wanted to scream and tell him no. I wanted to find out what the hell was going on, but I knew it was pointless. This was my father.

I gave him a weak nod in response.

“everything’s okay right papa?” I asked him carefully.

“It will be, I promise” he said and kissed my forehead. “Go make me proud and ill deal with everything else” he said and left me alone in the locker room. I sighed and sat down on the bench behind me.

I took in a deep breath trying to remember every word Tilly Maven had ever said to me.

Was this what my life would be? Scrutinising everyone that ever got close to me just to make sure they weren’t after my blood? Or my families? Or my grandmothers missing body?

I held onto the words Ophelia said earlier. The only hope I had in six years.

Esther would return soon. She had to.  I wasn’t sure how much longer we could all do this without her.

But one thing was for sure. I didn’t care what Lucan said. I need to see my sister. To meet this human she was so smitten with. I had to make sure he wasn’t another Tilly trying to get close to her because of who she was.

I pulled out my phone and booked a flight to New York City.

I didn’t care what Lucan thought; I didn’t care Eden had shut me out.

I wouldn’t be able to sleep with the thought of her in danger. I had to make sure. Even if it was just from a human. I would make sure he was who she thought he was. I would make sure he was worthy of her.

I had to protect her. Even if she hated me for it.


 

------------ ------------ ------------

Next week will be another interlude chapter before everything kicks off in the last 5 chapters. It will be from Axton’s POV so you can see his relationship with Clara and what happens to Tilly.

 

4 comments:

  1. This is soooo good! I hope Nova ends up alright, with having a Luna Disciple as a friend and all. Ophelia and Alena’s relationship is so adorable. I have to agree with Nova, I would love to have seen Alena jealous. Can’t wait for next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah im resisting the urge to write an alena/axton story after this. With the next chapter being in his pov i love writing the twins lives way too much for side characters haha we'll see

      Delete
  2. Cant wait to read Axtons chapter with him and Clara i love them so much so glad theyre finally together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ive loved writing the clara axton build up so much. theyre one of my all time favourite couples. hope you enjoy the next chapter :D

      Delete